Redirect to SMB--An Unresolved Windows Vulnerability Dating Back to 1997

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Nico@FMA explains it very thoroughly.

I'm not an IT professional but I do understand there's limits to what home AV can do. I stated as much...

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
S**t happens, and then you wipe your ass... if you can't handle the pace, get off the internet... back in the day, nothing was sooked or fussed over. Nowadays, every little breadcrumb is scrutinised. I refuse to be technology's bitch...wake up in the morning just to do your head in with PC crap... there is more to life, seriously...

I'd go for a Fire Sale if I had the chance. F**k technology. Mind you, it's my birthday and I am buckled beyond belief... so make of this what you will :p

Seriously, don't you see we are being played like puppets... I rue the day I asked a classmate in my secondary college career, what a PC was... ugh, the trauma. Oh yeah, go out and buy your first desktop... friggin' Windows 3.1 with 4MB RAM... nah you won't need more than that, it'll last forever. Will it now... mind you, the yanks landed a man on the moon with s**tbox hardware... *cough*

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Well i could not agree more if i tried. Very well put. :D

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
BUT out of the 8 hacks that have been found at least 70% happens from within the OS itself. Which technically means that without sitting physically behind the victims pc, and without a vast array of hacking tools and the needed resources & knowledge this particular hack cannot happen in the first place as its a technical requirement to target the OS from the inside out.

Sure there are programs that can be packed with very nasty yet brilliant malware that do a large part of the work for you, but with the introduction of routers and security software deployed by most western ISP companies it becomes a whole different story to being able to target a machine directly like that. My point is that these hacks require hands on.

Simple moral and habits nothing more.
At home when you stick your USB drive into the PC and your AV starts yelling you can't do that then people are like.
<facepalm> really? F windows, Slow pc F*ck this i am in control <hit ignore & allow> and still run the drive despite their security telling them not to or do a certain action first. Your security will in most cases respect your choice and move to a different config based upon the scenario you just created to counter act your stupid acts and tries to keep you as safe as possible keeping in mind that you ignored most of its protection.

Totally agree. Sad but true.

I have ESET. ESET's advanced firewall covers SMB redirection it's not necessary to block ports 139 & 445 here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico@FMA
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.