Refurnished computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
I have been looking at different brands of computers because I am thinking of getting a desktop I see allot of refurbished computers even for sale at Walmart, Are they any good or would I be asking for troubles. Do they put new hard drives in them?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
It really depends on the Brand and the Model that you are considering. A Dell computer with good specs and a good warranty may be a fine deal refurbished depending on the price (and if the hard drive was sound on the original they won't replace it but will re-image it).

A piece of junk will remain a piece of junk no matter what refurbishing is done to it (ie. HP)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Worth reading: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374269,00.asp

This is nothing like buying direct from a previous owner—the kind of scenario you'd get with eBay or Craigslist. Generally, this is a bargain you can trust. Why? If it comes from the manufacturer, it'll once again have a guarantee—at least, for a while. So if something goes wrong—and that usually happens early—you're covered. (If it doesn't come with a warranty, skip it.)

There's nothing wrong as long its came from manufacturers and a warranty is still enforce, price really matters since its already been depreciated (depends on the model and alongside of brand) as possible that's why its in sale.

The thing you need to analyze is the issues may contain caused sometimes isn't declared on the information which you should not buy immediately.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Over the years I've had a refurbished Acer desktop and currently have a refurbished Dell. The Acer lasted from like '05 to '13 when I replaced it with the Dell. If you get a quality system, from a reputable seller, you should be fine.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I have never had a dell, but their prices are lower than some other computers.
I loved the word you chose in your thread title, 'refurnished'. It sums up what occurs upon brightening up somewhat 'lived in' houses as well as less than new computers!:p

Dell is a name that instills confidence in our home.:) Even when it's equipped with hardware thoroughly "mature in years".:rolleyes:
Following faithful & constant use, our oldest working computer (with retired XP) ended up being replaced rather than maintained as my lovely wife chose to buy new rather than maintain the unacceptably slow.:oops: My neighbor as well as my wife each replaced their respective Dell Desktop workhorses, and placed them out to pasture in separate automobile stables (garages).o_O I am posting now from my wife's former Dell (Thanks MT, @BoraMurdar, & linux lubuntu). So, to summarize, whichever 'refurnished' Dell you may choose shall be certain not to have come from having been stored in someone's garage yet, as mentioned (even if it was) we can apply what used to be said on commercials about Timex watches: "They take a licking & keep on ticking!".:p:D
Good luck finding the right computer for you!:):)

Update: As @aztony, we also have a refurbished Acer lap top purchased directly from Acer that has run solidly since December 2013.;)

Last edited:

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Refurbished generally means that the unit has been stripped down, worn and broken parts replaced, cleaned up, etc and then rebuilt.
I had a PS that died during warranty, got a factory refurbed one direct from Sony and it worked just fine.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Refurbished generally means that the unit has been stripped down, worn and broken parts replaced, cleaned up, etc and then rebuilt.
I had a PS that died during warranty, got a factory refurbed one direct from Sony and it worked just fine.
Our resident 'Sheep' makes some strong points!:):)
I wish to add there is a Sony Vaio lap top which is the favorite in our home, hence 'I' get to use it the least.:rolleyes:
Since Sony's computer branch was sold, new units are no longer available outside Nippon (Japan). @Sharonp, in my wife's own words: "I'd like another one!".
You should be able to find a good deal too.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricSheep

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
The refurnished was a typo, I have had an Acer, and liked it very much. So, a refurbished should come with what was wrong with it?
Worth reading: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374269,00.asp

There's nothing wrong as long its came from manufacturers and a warranty is still enforce, price really matters since its already been depreciated (depends on the model and alongside of brand) as possible that's why its in sale.

The thing you need to analyze is the issues may contain caused sometimes isn't declared on the information which you should not buy immediately.

Thus is confusing, would a refurbished computer have information about what was initially wrong?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Thus is confusing, would a refurbished computer have information about what was initially wrong?

Refurbished computer isn't a brand new and condition should also notice on how issue can be serious.

Basically, you need to get down in writing exactly what you should expect. The specification details should be written down, but you also want something in writing about the condition of the laptop. And make sure you have a warranty and guarantee that makes it clear who is responsible for the replacement or repair of your laptop if it goes wrong.

www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/laptop/3491815/should-i-buy-refurbished-laptop/

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
I think, I found one. It is a refurbished HP, from the HP home outlet, that comes with a 1 year warranty and half off a monitor. I looked on the other websites but this is from the manufacture. No one has recommended HP, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.