Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
After pretty much abandoning the Silverlight development, then not supporting it on mobile or Metro version of Internet Explorer, it looks like the software giant has finally put the last nail into the Flash alternative’s coffin. One has to wonder if there is any empty space left for it anyway.

What do we mean by that? As it turns out, Microsoft Edge will not support Silverlight, as simple as that. The news come from the Microsoft itself, who stated that this is due to a removal of ActiveX.

Say hello to the HTML5.
http://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/07/02/moving-to-html5-premium-media/

Source

H

hjlbx

Good riddance...!!

Now what's Comodo going to do? - CIS Virtual Kiosk tablet mode needs Silverlight to function...

Guess they'll have to re-vamp or remove VK tablet mode.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I always disables Silverlight update on windows update, but its keeps on coming for a few more times even after repeated disabling the Silverlight update from downloading. Now that annoyance is over :)

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I believe Netflix uses it, I may be wrong.

Only with browsers which do not support DRM HTML5. Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Safari play Netflix with HTML5. DRM is pretty much the main reason for continued Silverlight life support, because without it, the other browsers would be able to play HTML5 content as well. Oh yes, the joy of DRM.

Reactions: Surtur and darko999
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.