second opinion AV scanners

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Hi all,
I want to know what are all the second opinion antivirus scanners (on-demand) available!

Criteria I am looking is:
1)scanning must be done only in cloud.i.e)no updating signatures should take place
2)it must not use any system resources except while scanning
3)I don't want any real time protection...I want to scan only on demand!
4)good detection rates..

P

Plexx

ESET Online Scanner sort of downloads signatures.

You are basically left with HMP and even so it uses behavior technology, despite not needing to download signatures.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Biozfear said:
ESET Online Scanner sort of downloads signatures.

You are basically left with HMP and even so it uses behavior technology, despite not needing to download signatures.

I already have ESET as my real time AV..
If I use Malware bytes antimalware, what criteria does not satisfy to the ones listed by me?

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
odkurzacz said:
HitmanPro , Norton Power Eraser

I think norton power eraser does not detect all the malwares and does not use cloud based detection...
I am already using hitman pro...I want to know if there are any better alternatives!

P

Plexx

maaster said:
If I use Malware bytes antimalware, what criteria does not satisfy to the ones listed by me?

MBAM is not cloud based. its signatures download based. Basically only point 1 you listed is not met. Everything else is met.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Biozfear said:
maaster said:

MBAM is not cloud based. its signatures download based. Basically only point 1 you listed is not met. Everything else is met.

Ok then I will give a try to MBAM...thanks for your suggestion...

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
My question is: Do you truly mean antivirus software, or antimalware software? There is a difference; AV is virus only, though many AV's now detect rootkits/trojans, so they are really hybrids. Antimalware means any malicious execution under the sun: worms, rootkits, viruses, trojans, ransomware, keyloggers, droppers, etc.

Finding a true, or hybrid (detects things other than viruses) AV on-demand scanner with a cloud is going to be tough, especially if you are looking for freeware.
Biozfear says HitMan Pro, which is excellent for on-demand scanning for all malware, and the cloud works beautifully in my humble opinion. Once you activate the free trial, you have 30 days of free removals to your credit. After that, you can use "early warning detection" and click "goto location" on the drop down menu of any give line item to manually delete the malware. Beware though, early warning detection makes false positives much more common, and I don't know if the cloud will work unless you are paying or else you are in the midst of the 30 day trial. There is also forced breach mode which kills(forces shut) processes that interfere with removal and detection.

I don't know about it having a cloud, but McAfee Stinger is what I would consider a traditional AV on-demand scanner.

Dr. Web Cureit is the one I trust (its engine is included as one of 5 in HitMan Pro). I run it once a month to check for worms and viruses, though it too is a hybrid "AV" scanner; it checks for all malware.

Malwarebytes Anti-rootkit (MBAR) is going to be huge. It is already looking pretty good, and has a repair tool to fix catastrophic problems that can be associated with malware removal.

Avast has a free anti-rootkit utility that is supposed to be capable of repairing your master boot record when bootkits change/damage it.

The standard, for novice and expert alike, seems to be MBAM and HitMan Pro. Most of us have those for front line on-demand scans. I run MBAM once a week and HitMan Pro once a day. HitMan rarely takes more than 3 minutes to scan. MBAM takes about 15 or 20 minutes for a "full scan".

Bitdefender has a browser add-on for Mozilla's Firefox that is an online scanner---Bitdefender QuickScan 0.9.9.119. It is fast. Bitdefender is also an engine that HitMan Pro utilizes.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You're basically left down to using HitmanPro.

P

Plexx

There is also a bunch of online scanners but not sure if one could consider them as on demand scanners.

Panda Activescan for example, while BitDefender Free Edition is a on-demand scanner but does require downloads.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Bitdefender don't offer their Free Edition (excluding Romanian-Cloud version), but they do have a cloud scanner for your modern browser.
- Scans 32-bit processes only (as far as I've tested).
- No removal (as far as I've tested).

Panda ActiveScan was replaced by Panda Cloud Cleaner -- http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Panda-ActiveScan-Cleaner-BETA?pid=83844#pid83844

P

Plexx

So this: http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html leads to the romanian version?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That has a digital certificate from 2009.

This is the Romanian Bitdefender:
http://www.bitdefender.ro/freetools/

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-BitDefender-Free-Antivirus-2011-Romania

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
I want to disable real time protection and unnecessary running of program in the background in MBAM pro...can someone suggest options in MBAM pro to disable them...

P

Plexx

maaster said:
I want to disable real time protection and unnecessary running of program in the background in MBAM pro...can someone suggest options in MBAM pro to disable them...

MBAM Pro you can disable real time protection under options and services shouldn't start (they should be set as automatic by default if option for RT is enabled).

I believe this was asked somewhere in this forum before.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why not use MBAM Free on-demand, that way you won't need to deal with problems of background services or processes on boot.

I think you're making this more complex than it needs to be.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
In the free version of MBAM real time protection is disabled unless you enable it by clicking on free trial for full version under protection on the interface.Like Earth said you are pretty much left down to hitman pro to full fill all your requirements.I would suggest MBAM free,provides most everything you are looking for and cannot beat the price.Hitman pro free version doesnt provide removal of malware

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
ZOU1 said:
My question is: Do you truly mean antivirus software, or antimalware software? There is a difference; AV is virus only, though many AV's now detect rootkits/trojans, so they are really hybrids. Antimalware means any malicious execution under the sun: worms, rootkits, viruses, trojans, ransomware, keyloggers, droppers, etc.

Finding a true, or hybrid (detects things other than viruses) AV on-demand scanner with a cloud is going to be tough, especially if you are looking for freeware.
Biozfear says HitMan Pro, which is excellent for on-demand scanning for all malware, and the cloud works beautifully in my humble opinion. Once you activate the free trial, you have 30 days of free removals to your credit. After that, you can use "early warning detection" and click "goto location" on the drop down menu of any give line item to manually delete the malware. Beware though, early warning detection makes false positives much more common, and I don't know if the cloud will work unless you are paying or else you are in the midst of the 30 day trial. There is also forced breach mode which kills(forces shut) processes that interfere with removal and detection.

I don't know about it having a cloud, but McAfee Stinger is what I would consider a traditional AV on-demand scanner.

Dr. Web Cureit is the one I trust (its engine is included as one of 5 in HitMan Pro). I run it once a month to check for worms and viruses, though it too is a hybrid "AV" scanner; it checks for all malware.

Malwarebytes Anti-rootkit (MBAR) is going to be huge. It is already looking pretty good, and has a repair tool to fix catastrophic problems that can be associated with malware removal.

Avast has a free anti-rootkit utility that is supposed to be capable of repairing your master boot record when bootkits change/damage it.

The standard, for novice and expert alike, seems to be MBAM and HitMan Pro. Most of us have those for front line on-demand scans. I run MBAM once a week and HitMan Pro once a day. HitMan rarely takes more than 3 minutes to scan. MBAM takes about 15 or 20 minutes for a "full scan".

Bitdefender has a browser add-on for Mozilla's Firefox that is an online scanner---Bitdefender QuickScan 0.9.9.119. It is fast. Bitdefender is also an engine that HitMan Pro utilizes.

I agree with your explanation of the difference between AV and AM,but most of the AV are stuck with that moniker because they started early and,the only malicious things were computer viruses.
There is no AV today that only detects viruses they cant survive :D

Perhaps a case in point is Emsisoft AntiMalware which is more aptly named for the things it can detect.

D

Deleted member 178

Biozfear said:
MBAM Pro you can disable real time protection under options and services shouldn't start (they should be set as automatic by default if option for RT is enabled).

yes but the service is still here, must uninstall/reinstall MBAM to get rid of it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.