Always notify
Real-time security
Norton Security
VoodooShield Pro [lifetime]
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
GlassWire Basic [paid, lifetime] (not a malware scanner, but not running in real time either, so I put it here)
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome, Firefox; LastPass
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Process Lasso Pro
System recovery
Acronis True Image [WD Edition]

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Added: Shadow Defender (30 day trial but will probably buy license while it is on sale)

Norton and Shadow Defender don't seem to get along though... it blocked it from accessing the internet as well
upload_2015-12-21_5-41-44.png

upload_2015-12-21_5-39-31.png

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Added: Shadow Defender (30 day trial but will probably buy license while it is on sale)

Norton and Shadow Defender don't seem to get along though... it blocked it from accessing the internet as well
View attachment 78734
View attachment 78733
Sometimes, but not every time, MC Shield indicates a 'failure' as I enter Shadow Mode.:confused: Our Norton I.S. has not detected our older version Shadow Defender. On the bright side, your version of Norton appears to be doing it's job very well, & S.D. is truly an excellent addition to your level of security! Thanks for sharing.:)

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
So how was the feeling of using one of the lightest combo (SD + AG + WFC)? Share your experience. :)

Have you tried NVT ERP as well?

I liked it quite well, I'm just waiting for my next few paychecks so I can actually buy AG. Also I will replace WFC with GlassWire as I prefer the extra details it shows regarding connections. I haven't tried ERP... is it still supported? According to the website it hasn't been updated in almost 2 years :eek:

ADDED: Process Lasso Pro [Lifetime]. Not a security soft, but thought I'd list it under optimization/other software
ADDED: GlassWire [free]

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I liked it quite well, I'm just waiting for my next few paychecks so I can actually buy AG. Also I will replace WFC with GlassWire as I prefer the extra details it shows regarding connections. I haven't tried ERP... is it still supported? According to the website it hasn't been updated in almost 2 years :eek:

ADDED: Process Lasso Pro [Lifetime]. Not a security soft, but thought I'd list it under optimization/other software
ADDED: GlassWire [free]

The latest beta release for for NVT ERP is ard May last year I think. You might have to dig around for the insraller or perhaps someone can link to you the installer?

D

Deleted member 178

Shran

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Freedome filters traffic (it blocks known malicious websites). Some might say this is good but I prefer a VPN that just encrypts and leaves it alone. Also, it keeps a unique identifier of your computer. Example: You visit a bad website, Freedome blocks it and adds it to the "blocked website count" on the main interface (when you open Freedome it shows you how many sites it has blocked). Okay, what's the problem there you ask? Well the problem is that it doesn't store that counter locally to your system; it uploads that number to their server with an identifier uniquely linking it to you. How do I know? Well, I visited eicar.org, Freedome blocks it and says "blocked websites: 1". I restored my computer to an old image before I visited eicar and therefore before Freedome would have blocked it. As soon as Freedome was opened, it magically said "blocked website count: 1". I tried this again, visiting eicar.org again and the blocked site count increased to 2. I again restored my computer to an old image, but this time did not connect it to the internet. With the computer offline, I opened Freedome and the blocked site count was 0 (as it was in that backup image). As soon as I connected the computer to the internet, the blocked site count immediately increased to 2... thus the only way it knows how many sites it has blocked is a unique identifier on their servers.

Not to mention CG is just faster.... even through the VPN on a WiFi connection I still get speeds of 50-54 MB per second.

N

NOLF92

Freedome filters traffic (it blocks known malicious websites). Some might say this is good but I prefer a VPN that just encrypts and leaves it alone. Also, it keeps a unique identifier of your computer. Example: You visit a bad website, Freedome blocks it and adds it to the "blocked website count" on the main interface (when you open Freedome it shows you how many sites it has blocked). Okay, what's the problem there you ask? Well the problem is that it doesn't store that counter locally to your system; it uploads that number to their server with an identifier uniquely linking it to you. How do I know? Well, I visited eicar.org, Freedome blocks it and says "blocked websites: 1". I restored my computer to an old image before I visited eicar and therefore before Freedome would have blocked it. As soon as Freedome was opened, it magically said "blocked website count: 1". I tried this again, visiting eicar.org again and the blocked site count increased to 2. I again restored my computer to an old image, but this time did not connect it to the internet. With the computer offline, I opened Freedome and the blocked site count was 0 (as it was in that backup image). As soon as I connected the computer to the internet, the blocked site count immediately increased to 2... thus the only way it knows how many sites it has blocked is a unique identifier on their servers.

Not to mention CG is just faster.... even through the VPN on a WiFi connection I still get speeds of 50-54 MB per second.

Very interesting. I will do some reading into Cyberghost, then. Thanks!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

I enjoy your explorations @Shran, and the testing & outcomes of Freedome were very o_Oeye opening!:)
Although I'm not using a VPN, I shall remember your findings; and thusly know there is a reason why I would choose Cyberghost.:cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.