Spyware Terminator 2012

Mere

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 30, 2014
Is Spyware Terminator 2012 good one to use? I have it downloaded on my computer.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Sounds to me like they haven't updated it since 2012, I'd get rid of it ASAP. It also sounds like a fake removal program, it slows down your computer and is not needed. I recommend you use a good antivirus instead of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico@FMA

Warrior

Level 4
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
Spyware Terminator is not a fake removal program , it can be downloaded from
majorgeeks , and cnet, its made by Crawler LLC, and its not very good as its old,
and not updated very often .

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Great white listing HIPS product but the scanner has a dire detection rate.

So if you want to use the HIPS module go to advanced settings enable HIPS and disable automatic scan and updates.

One of the few or only stand alone HIPS for win 7 64 bit. It`s also very light and has a review list.

All versions can be downloaded at Filehippo.

Regards Eck:)

Last edited:

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations,;)

Spyware Terminator 2012 was the name of the software. Not the version and/or update!
Was one the top anti-spyware a few years back..... along with Giant Anti-spyware.

Kind regards,:rolleyes:

Reactions: Behold Eck
R

Ray Redbad

Spyware Terminator 2015 is out. I've attached a screenie from 2012 running quite nicely under Win7x64. 2015 has the exact same UI and that HIPS item is absent.

Anyone running 2015 can test if the HIPS is "hidden" by running HitmanPro or Zemana Anti-Malware Portable, both of which evoke a popup for user intervention on my system. And then examine the White, Black and Review List items to see if something showed up in there. If so, of course, HIPS is active in 2015 but with the Low, High and Rebuild functions unavailable to the user.

2012 is still "out there" for those motivated to find it.

Ditto on Eck's comments & suggestions in #6 above. Also block SpywareTerminator.exe and SpywareTerminatorUpdate.exe out AND IN. The free version uses peer-to-peer (by torrent) to update the spyware defs across the global freebie user base.

This is a really, really good HIPS, BTW. 2012 & 2015.

Cheers.

ST2012HIPS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Warrior

Level 4
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
OMG really I mean really .
Where to start here , face palm .
ok your screen shot is of the 2012 version not the 2015 version .
Now the 2015 version , well the free version under Spyware Terminator tools offers
extra tools to protect your computer , such as
pcpowerspeed
safetyoptimizer
bestwebvault

nice another program gone to the dark side. crapware advertisement's in fact its almost malware advertisement's.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Spyware Terminator 2015 is out. I've attached a screenie from 2012 running quite nicely under Win7x64. 2015 has the exact same UI and that HIPS item is absent.

Anyone running 2015 can test if the HIPS is "hidden" by running HitmanPro or Zemana Anti-Malware Portable, both of which evoke a popup for user intervention on my system. And then examine the White, Black and Review List items to see if something showed up in there. If so, of course, HIPS is active in 2015 but with the Low, High and Rebuild functions unavailable to the user.

2012 is still "out there" for those motivated to find it.

Ditto on Eck's comments & suggestions in #6 above. Also block SpywareTerminator.exe and SpywareTerminatorUpdate.exe out AND IN. The free version uses peer-to-peer (by torrent) to update the spyware defs across the global freebie user base.

This is a really, really good HIPS, BTW. 2012 & 2015.

Cheers.

View attachment 47401

Didn`t get a peep out of it after installing a number of malicious programs so that would be quite fitting and ironic if 2015 ST only alerts to legit anti-malware programs.

If you left click the tray icon in ST 2015 it shows HIPS not enabled.I would guess that the HIPS maybe enabled in the paid version and probably on low but I`m sure not going to pay to find out.

I don`t even think 2015 is compatable with Win8 ??:confused:

It`s a pity that it has all come to this but a least as mentioned above the earlier versions are are still great(V2 my fav).

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
hi Eck I can confirm I dose work on windows 8.1 , not that anyone would want it now,

It was just that somebody elsewhere had mentioned it but as you rightly say who would want it now anyway.

Removing the HIPS is leaving nothing but a piece of junk more akin to scamware or rogue AV.

Thanks for the info Warrior.

R

Ray Redbad

@ Eck:
"Didn`t get a peep out of it after installing a number of 'malicious' (quotes mine) programs" Were they spyware? (That's rhetorical; I don't care.)
"nothing but a piece of junk more akin to scamware or rogue AV" Misinformed and unnecessarily harsh. o_O

I inquired with ST regarding HIPS and RTS Auto-Allow, the latter which in ST2012 (v3.0.0.82) all too often would allow processes clearly needing HIPS intervention even when set to "high" - a serious flaw in a "classic HIPS" enabled product. ST2012 and now ST2015 (v3.0.0.101) do not have a method to disable Auto-Allow.

Here is their reply:
"Because of rebuilding Spyware Terminator shield service we have decided to remove HIPS feature at all and the Allow/Disable option for RTS actions will be available in advanced settings mode in next update of the real time shield protection. For now, turning off auto-allow feature is not possible."

Even with an Auto-Allow disable option, without HIPS, ST2015 Free provides elemental value only, much like spyware-only MS Defender in Win7 and earlier. Although F-Prot is rolled into the paid version, for the money why not just buy F-Prot? Now that they (and Authentium) are with Cyren, formerly Commtouch, F-Prot might bump up a few points on the Leader Board as time might tell.

But, at least I got a reply... couple years or so back I sent three emails, unanswered, about that Auto-Allow (which was not a problem in v2 and earlier).

Cheers.

Reactions: Behold Eck

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes Red, I should have tried to install legit programs and then no doubt an alert from ST 2015 would have showed.

As to being OTT in my fault finding, maybe ? But it`s just that with each new release they seem to further castrate the product to the point where now the the free version 2015 has nothing going for it at all, as far as I can see.

Being a long time user of STv2 on XP(with PFW and Sandboxie.....of course!) I can feel myself really wanting to like ST 2015 as the last stand alone HIPS for 64 bit OS`s but I can only be vexed by the latest version.

You should check out what Littlebits said on the A_E posting about ST2012 where the A_E was stated to be removed, I mean come on what is a HIPS without it`s A_E functionality ?(maybe still better than an A_E on it`s own ?).

i`d love to know what exactly you mean by "elemental value"? What element is left ? But anyway at least you got a reply from them so congratulations on that.

Regards Eckhttp://malwaretips.com/styles/MalwareTips/xenforo/clear.pnghttp://malwaretips.com/styles/MalwareTips/xenforo/clear.png : )

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.