starchilds config 22-03-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starchild76

Thread author
Windows Update: Turned on
Rollback option : Macrium Reflect Free
Exploit Protection : Emet System Backup: External Harddrive : Seagate Backup Plus 1 Tb
Word Processing: Open Office
Download Manager: Utorrent
Smartscreen : Enabled
User Account Control: Enabled
Updater: Secunia Psi / Filehippo Update Checker
Cleaning Utility: CCleaner ( Tweaked With Ccenhancer )
DiskArangement : Puran Defrag Free
File Archives: Winrar
Uninstaller: Iobit Uninstaller ( Portable )
File/Folder Unlocker: Iobit Unlocker
Burning: Ashampoo Burning Studio Free
Virtual Disc Mount: Daemon Tools Lite
Music / Video Player : Vlc Media Player
PDF Reader: Adobe Reader
System Tune Up : Wise Care 365 Pro
Hostfile Hardening : Spyware Blaster
Mixing Software : Virtual Dj Pro
I-pod Music Management : Itunes
driver updater : iobit driver booster

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
RE: starchilds new laptop windows 8 config

Hi,

User Account: Administrator
You might wanna get yourself a limited account as running Admin is not a smart move on a new OS like windows 8.
I am aware of the fact that windows 8 has gone a long way in security, but it is by no means perfect, and its exactly the new status of windows 8 that will draw people out in the open to exploit it as they have done with every other major version of windows.
Obviously running a admin account is never smart, but later when windows 8 matures and is being patched up properly then you might get away with it.

Real-time Protection: Windows 8 Defender + Zonealam Free Firewall
Windows 8 Defender? I am pretty sure you can come up with something better, as windows 8 defender has gotten LOADS of critical reviews.
Seriously i suggest to replace Windows 8 Defender.
And perhaps you could replace ZFF as well in favor of a well rounded Internet security suit but thats up to you as ZFF itself is rocksolid.

That being said i am sure that the MalwareTips community can give you loads of tips to enhance your security.

Cheers

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Their are ups and downs for Windows Defender but matter of way, you may keep it and just pay attention on what are you doing especially browsing.

Consider adding Hitman Pro as scanners.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Are you using a password manager at all by chance?

S

starchild76

Thread author

thank you guys for all of your feedback , which is absolutely apreciated. i am well aware of the downsides in using windows defender , aswell as zonealarm firewall. but since I do not intend to download on this machine via torrent sites or any other cracks and warez sites , i do not feel the need for a heavy security suite , like i have on my win 7 machine ( norton 360 premier ) because i do download on that machine. also i do not test active malware and i also visit a repeating cycle of the same trusted sites and do not do online banking with this machine , but on the other.....mclovin , i forgot to add lastpass in the list :)

S

starchild76

Thread author

Made some changes to current config : Disabled Windows 8 Defender and removed Zonealarm free.
I have bought a norton 360 premier License three weeks ago , but it gave me trouble with the automatic backup and tuneup services and maintainance so I decided to downgrade this Licence to Norton Internet Security and installed that on my windows 7 and windows 8 systems :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

What kind of troubles with the Auto.Backup and Tuneup?

I remember N360's (2011) Tuneup deleting a driver/registries for the DVD drive rendering it unusable, had to perform a factory restore.

S

starchild76

Thread author

@earth I suspect the problems where related to the registry cleaner , the laptop froze in every aspect : opening of drives , folders , surfing the net and so on. but I do not have that problem with my windows 7 machine anymore , because I accidentely spilled a mug off tea on it , so it died on me. hope a friend of mine can extract the files wich reside on my d drive in my machine , because it contains a lot of photo's and video's and music , that I would absolutely hate to loose.

S

starchild76

Thread author

A small update whas forced to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2013. the program kept warning me for not being protected from phising and hackers , because the firewall was not enabled. program repair did not fix the problem. also the online program error checker was no good! it checked the whole installation and did not report any errors to me! Now I am really confused , but even more pi**ed off , because its unacceptable for a company like symantec , to still not fix the errors with the firewall and antivirus component not working ( also experienced this with nis 2011 ) and I am certainly NOT going to uninstall and then reinstall the program every time this happens! so for now I am done with norton and in the meantime I am going to install AVAST free and zonealarm free firewall and see how that will turn out! or does anyone else have better sugestions?? thanks in advance!!!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

As you've mentioned why not try, Avast and Zonealarm Firewall.

Lots of free products you can mixed up tough.

S

starchild76

Thread author

added : AVAST Antivirus Free and Zonealarm Free Firewall and upgraded Wisecare Free edition , To the Pro edition , thanks to the kindness of giveawayoftheday.com :)

simmy

Nov 15, 2011

starchild76 said:
added : AVAST Antivirus Free and Zonealarm Free Firewall and upgraded Wisecare Free edition , To the Pro edition , thanks to the kindness of giveawayoftheday.com :)

Hows that config working for you? I have not used Zonealarm for a while, are there many adverts in the free version? :)

S

starchild76

Thread author

Hey simmy this config runs nice and smoothly on my machine , no slowdowns . lags or freezes , even when I download torrents with utorrent! with nis the download speeds went down drasticaly , but not with this setup :)
the free version of zonealarm barely has adds unlike AVG!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

I will have to agree Avast + ZoneAlarm Free runs excellent together.
It is just like they were meant to be.

Unlike other firewalls that lag, use heavy CPU, memory and cause slow torrent downloads, ZoneAlarm doesn't effect the download speeds at all and remains to keep the CPU and memory low.

The free version of ZoneAlarm will display one advert monthly for their own paid products. Of coarse I hate the security toolbar that comes optional, it never supports the latest version of Firefox. It might be handy for users who use IE as their default browser. The Advanced Download Protection has not worked for the latest Firefox either. Of coarse Firefox scans all downloads for malware by default and so does IE because it really isn't that important if you always use good downloading habits and have a real-time AV.

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Isn't that only if you have Antivirus software installed.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/#advancedsecurity

Anti-Virus Integration

Firefox integrates elegantly with your Windows anti-virus software. When you download a file, your computer’s anti-virus program automatically checks it to protect you against viruses and other malware, which could otherwise attack your computer.

Littlebits said:
Of coarse Firefox scans all downloads for malware by default

Question regarding ZoneAlarm Free Firewall, can you turn off ID Protection without it prompting you that you're PC is not secure?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Well Firefox does have "scan for viruses" once the file downloaded completely however never seen in action (only anti phishing), addons like Download Statusbar needs to configure for implementing virus scanning as you need a command using a current software installed.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

Earth said:
Isn't that only if you have Antivirus software installed.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/#advancedsecurity

Anti-Virus Integration

Firefox integrates elegantly with your Windows anti-virus software. When you download a file, your computer’s anti-virus program automatically checks it to protect you against viruses and other malware, which could otherwise attack your computer.

Littlebits said:
Of coarse Firefox scans all downloads for malware by default

Question regarding ZoneAlarm Free Firewall, can you turn off ID Protection without it prompting you that you're PC is not secure?

Unless that Firefox info is out-dated, it used to use Sophos AV engine in the cloud to scan your downloads. There is no settings for this on Firefox but I have seen it say scanning download on systems without an AV installed.

I have ID Protection turned off and it has never prompted me to turn it on. You have to have it setup- http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en/activate-identity-theft-services.htm?source=Other&medium=InClient&campaign=ZoneAlarm+Antivirus&content=OEM+All&term=English&lid=en&lang=en&app=inclient&prod=8&date=1392768000&version=11.0.000.504&lic=6cew7dh96m1rkdfff63vd486vk0&oem=1043&dest=welcome to enable it, otherwise it is disabled by default. Complimentary Free ID Theft Protection for 1 Year, after that it is a paid service not included with paid versions of ZoneAlarm. ID Protection is provided by a third-party vendor (Intersections Inc.) it is not a CheckPoint service.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Unless that Firefox info is out-dated, it used to use Sophos AV engine in the cloud to scan your downloads. There is no settings for this on Firefox but I have seen it say scanning download on systems without an AV installed.

Littlebits: Hmm... its hard to say that Firefox uses Sophos AV Engine to scan the downloads. Any sources?

Caused even the time for beginning of Firefox development, said it uses from the AV installed on the system.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

jamescv7 said:

Littlebits: Hmm... its hard to say that Firefox uses Sophos AV Engine to scan the downloads. Any sources?

Caused even the time for beginning of Firefox development, said it uses from the AV installed on the system.

I have read this before but now I can find the sources.
Here is what I did find, Google never disclosed which AV engine they use to protect their web servers or Gmail but this one guy found out they use Sophos- http://www.knowledgesutra.com/discuss/fmidff-antivirus-gmail-person-sophos.html

Mozilla has a partnership with Google to use its services such as the options on Firefox and SeaMonkey to block reported attack sites and block reported web forgeries which is said to be actually Sophos although Google has never made a statement to confirm or deny. We all know Google does not have their own AV therefore they must be using a third-party AV engine.

So if you have an AV installed, Firefox should use it to scan the downloads but if you don't have an AV installed then why does it pause for a few seconds and say scanning for viruses? It has to be doing something.

I read awhile back that Firefox scans your downloads using Sophos AV provided by the partnership with Google.

Sophos is known to be used by large companies like Apple, IBM and HP.
But Google is not listed on their partners page.

So I'm not completely sure if Mozilla uses Sophos since Google will not admit using it for their services.

Maybe someone else can find more info.

simmy

Nov 15, 2011

starchild76 said:
Hey simmy this config runs nice and smoothly on my machine , no slowdowns . lags or freezes , even when I download torrents with utorrent! with nis the download speeds went down drasticaly , but not with this setup :)
the free version of zonealarm barely has adds unlike AVG!

Awesome! Glad that it works and doesn't get in your way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.