Advice Request Stay with EAM or switch to G-Data?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

cardinal

Thread author
Nov 13, 2023
Hey guys,

long time lurker here needs some advice. ;)

I did use Emsisoft Anti Malware Home for the past years and even tho I am not dissatisfied with it I am kind of annoyed with the FPs. For example I do have to whitelist EVERY update of the Tor Browser because of its BB.

So I am thinking about switching to G-Data Antivirus but cannot decide if that's the right decision. The GUI seems very old and the software appears to be kind of buggy (I did read some comments about that). But the protection seems very good. EAM seems to miss some samples here an there in some tests. But I do like the web console for management and additional information.

So would you guys switch to G-Data or stay with Emsisoft?

Thanks in advance!

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
Emsisoft in my view. Essentially, you get the same Bitdefender signatures, but with the added benefit of their behaviour blocker, which is particularly effective in detecting unknown malicious files; personally, I love their UI too; it's clear and very user friendly

Their support has greatly improved; there were some unpleasant discussions on their forum back in the day that I felt could have been handled better but nonetheless, there is a significant improvement now

Last edited:

cardinal

Thread author
Nov 13, 2023
Thanks for all the replies!
I just want to give you guys a short feedback.

Most of you recommended that i stay with Emsisoft but i did test G-Data Internet Security for some time (since there is a huge discount atm) ;P
G-Data is way cheaper than Emsisoft, so i favor G-Data in this regard.

The protection seems great BUT it hogs system ressources like nothing i have ever seen before. I do have a a pretty good gaming PC (32GB RAM), G-Data takes easily >1,2GB of RAM and for this client its no problem at all. I didnt notice any system slow downs, but what about a "normal" 8GB RAM laptop? That seems pretty excessive, does it not? For comparison i tested a fresh install of Emsisoft Business Security and it hovers around 500-700MB. Yes, AVs should use a certain amount of RAM but in G-Datas case it seems like bad programming (just my asumption). From what i have been reading it is intentional and it wont be changed. Overall it seems that Emsisoft is produced with way more "love" and is more frequently updated than G-Data (correct me if i am wrong here, i could not find some kind of changelog or anything).

One thing that wonders me is the Web protection of Emsisoft. Does it work? ;P
I dont have any logs for this part of the software, the browser plugin blocks malicious sites but it doesnt communicate with the software at all.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Both use Bitdefender engine, which is more than likely where the false positives are coming from.

It's best for the user to test each product to see which one conforms best to their machines hardware and uses of.

As for the false positives, you can either submit those to EAM or GData or directly to Bitdefender.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Stay away from G-Data.
you don't want to get your support tickets get delayed because of their support agent being sickness. just unprofessional
like what they only have 1 agent and if he get sick your ticket delays for 2 weeks? what if it was an infection case..

re.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.