Steam Unresponsive

pink_lily

Thread author
Nov 15, 2014
I get no error message but steam continuing to freeze up just doing basic navigation on the client. Viewing my profile, store page and especially in game. I am also losing connection to steam on my computer. Steam just becomes unresponsive.

Breakdown of issue and situation

I have 2 computers connected to steam. My laptop has no issues like this, connection and stable in game. It is connected the same manner my desktop is connected. My desktop is the one with the problem.

Connection
Both my computers are connected through a hard wired connection to the router. The router is connected to my modem and the modem has not been changed as far is internet provider or ports in which both computers are connected.

Starting steam (From the start)
On my desktop I open the client multiple times to finally connect; at least 2 or more times for it to connect to steam. Once on steam I face a bigger issue, it continues to freeze up and cause a temporary crashes. Crash in the sense nothing responds and I may still be connected to my game until it does respond but I sometimes get dropped from the game.

If I am connected to any co-op game while it freezes (client fails to respond) I get dropped from the co-op game and returned to main screen.

I have tried to play in offline mode to see if this issue is resolved and it still happens. I had windows 7 and I had no major issues. A week ago while on windows 7 these issues began to arise and thought it was either a hard drive clean that could fix it where windows was installed. I not not did a fresh format of my hard drive but upgraded to windows 8. The issue is still present even with these changes in place.

My computer has 2 hard drives, 1 with windows now freshly installed note that I did update my video card and windows itself. My second hard drive is where I have installed only steam games and documents. A short cut of steam is set to my desktop where I launch the games from.

Note I have no anti virus at the moment on my clean installation of windows 8 and previously I did on my windows 7 but issue still remains present with updates.

Current operating system: Windows 8 pro 64bit
Previous: Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello pink_lily. Thank you for sharing your configuration, and the detailed description of this dilemma which began when you were then on Windows 7.
In the event an infection or malware may have taken hold of your system(s) during the course of your transition to your newer OS, I'd suggest not making any further changes but immediately moving this thread here:
This is where one of our magnificent malware removal experts can work directly with you on your problem to root out something which may be lying hidden and unseen within the system's many files and registries.
Like good chicken soup, it couldn't hurt and will probably help a great deal! Plus, it's absolutely free. Good luck, and we can talk about prospective Anti-viruses in the near future.:) ;)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From the title itself it clearly we prevented to provide suggestions that can contribute to worst case unresponsive system. :)

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
welcome to MT and thanks for sharing your config. I hope that you will resolve your problem;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.