Strikers config

Striker

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
thats my new confi. feel free to make some suggestions :) but i dont thing to change anything in the near future.

Reactions: vrb93

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
Maybe some backup software would be good.

Im also running Avast 2015 Beta, the first beta of 2014 borked my system.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
What is your Advanced knowledge in Computing ?
How come your UAC is disabled ? I strongly suggest you to enable it.
And I recommend uninstalling Drivers Booster as its useless.

Reactions: vrb93 and Oxygen

Striker

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
What is your Advanced knowledge in Computing ?
How come your UAC is disabled ? I strongly suggest you to enable it.
And I recommend uninstalling Drivers Booster as its useless.
UAC is just useless and annoying for me. im the only one use this laptop. dont need UAC cuz i know what i can download and click and what not. if tested the new driver booster beta on 3 machines with almost 50 outdated drivers. not a single false driver. its just working for me.

Striker

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Maybe some backup software would be good.

Im also running Avast 2015 Beta, the first beta of 2014 borked my system.
Im not using any backups. if my system got broken or bugged, im just reinstall it :) nothing importent on this laptop. thanks for ur suggestion :)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
UAC is just useless and annoying for me. im the only one use this laptop. dont need UAC cuz i know what i can download and click and what not. if tested the new driver booster beta on 3 machines with almost 50 outdated drivers. not a single false driver. its just working for me.

Why is it useless ? I can understand the "annoying" part, but not the "useless" part.
The part I put in bold could cause you to overestimate your common sense and end up infected.
What if I told you that except for your GPU drivers, you never need to update them if they are working perfectly fine ?
Also, why do your consider your knowlegde to be "Advanced" in Computing ?

Striker

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Why is it useless ? I can understand the "annoying" part, but not the "useless" part.
The part I put in bold could cause you to overestimate your common sense and end up infected.
What if I told you that except for your GPU drivers, you never need to update them if they are working perfectly fine ?
Also, why do your consider your knowlegde to be "Advanced" in Computing ?
i make some private cheats for some online games for testing and maybe sending some "exploits" for some games. WarRock for example is one game with some ways where u able to crash players or even whole rooms sending wrong packes to the server and they are not checked before. im searching ways like this and try to contact support on games i like and send them to the publisher.

And for UAC. Maybe its usefull but if u download nothing new its not needed with a good av. but if u face a malware with anti uac than its complet usless, thats why i dont even start to use it.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
i make some private cheats for some online games for testing and maybe sending some "exploits" for some games. WarRock for example is one game with some ways where u able to crash players or even whole rooms sending wrong packes to the server and they are not checked before. im searching ways like this and try to contact support on games i like and send them to the publisher.

And for UAC. Maybe its usefull but if u download nothing new its not needed with a good av. but if u face a malware with anti uac than its complet usless, thats why i dont even start to use it.

I don't think you understand really how malware works, nor I think you know what exploit kits are. I suggest you to look up more on malware functioning before disabling your UAC completely. People think that they only get infected via downloading stuff. This is just plainly false. What about JDB for example ? You're not downloading anything (no Download button) right ? I understand where you're coming for but that statement is just plainly false.

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
well let me tell you @ aura something my computers drivers and everything is up to date and just one infection which was last year when i had an desktop computer since moving to an laptop i have had no infections so im doing something right i have uac enable too and driver booster been using it for years now you need some of your driver updated the ones you need for internet connection wifi or ethernet just giving my 2 cents worth ok

I

illumination

With UAC disabled, anything or anyone on the system can make changes to the operating system, files and registry.

Which Changes Require Administrative Privileges in Windows?
There are many changes which require administrative privileges and, depending on how UAC is configured, they can cause an UAC prompt to show up and ask for permission. These are the following:

• Running an application as administrator
  • Changes to system-wide settings or to files in the Windows or Program Files folders
  • Installing and uninstalling drivers & applications
  • Installing ActiveX controls
  • Changing settings to the Windows Firewall
  • Changing UAC settings
  • Configuring Windows Update
  • Adding or removing user accounts
  • Changing a user’s account type
  • Configuring Parental Controls or Family Safety
  • Running Task Scheduler
  • Restoring backed-up system files
  • Viewing or changing another user’s folders and files
  • Changing the system date and time

Reactions: rebel4life

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
well let me tell you @ aura something my computers drivers and everything is up to date and just one infection which was last year when i had an desktop computer since moving to an laptop i have had no infections so im doing something right i have uac enable too and driver booster been using it for years now you need some of your driver updated the ones you need for internet connection wifi or ethernet just giving my 2 cents worth ok

Please tell me why you need to keep your Ethernet Controller et Network Controller drivers updated ? What is it going to bring to you ? Now we are assuming that the drivers you are are working perfectly fine, some for the hardware.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
@Striker Thanks posting your set up.
Solely reliant on avast! = bad move.
I'd certainly employ UAC and Sandboxie! at the very least.

Reactions: Manzai

Striker

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Removed Win7, added Win8.1 again.
Realtime Protection: avast free, emsisoft antimalware.
ondemand: malwarebytes Pro(realtime protection, webfilter off, autostart off), Herdprotect.
Browser: Opera
Addons: uBlock, LastPass, DoNotTrackMe, Disconnect search, ZenMate, Launch History Eraser, turn off the light.
Backup Software, noone. use extern hdd driver for backups now.
Privacy Software: Privazer
Any other software: ccleaner+ccenhancer, donwload ninja, iobit uninstaller 4 beta 1, driver booster 2 beta 2, steam and some games.

Thats my new config. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.