System Progressive Protection Virus

chaswr

Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2013
Thanks for letting me know you don't have a problem with the time here!

After running roguekiller, it generated 2 files, so you will be getting those 2 as well as the 1 for adwcleaner....

Attachments

• AdwCleaner[R3].txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 155
  • RKreport[1]_S_01142013_02d2150.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 101
  • RKreport[2]_D_01142013_02d2150.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 154

chaswr

Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2013
Still in safe mode with networking, task manager "looks" normal. Do you want me to boot into normal mode?

chaswr

Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2013
Back and running. Once windows started, another adwcleaner log popped up. I will also include that. Otherwise! All seems normal... only apps running according to task manager are notepad and firefox. The rogue IE entries are gone in task manager. ALSO, in malwarebytes under the protection tab, it once again shows in green "protection enabled". During the virus problem, that was showing in red "protection disabled" and I could not re-enable it. It looks as though we may be successful!

Attachments

• AdwCleaner[S2].txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 129

chaswr

Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2013
Quick question...

I do assume it is okay to delete all of those log files or should I save them into a log/fix folder of some sort? I know if there is another problem, they will have to be created again. As to your suggestion on virus/spyware programs?

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Excellent :D You can delete the logs that were created. Let's make sure we are out of the woods first.

Lastly, run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus

Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.
Vista / 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the Internet Explorer icon and select Run as Administrator
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activex control to install
  • Disable your current antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notfication Tray icon near the clock.
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Un-checked, and the following Advance Settings are Checked
    • Scan unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Re-enable your antivirus software.
  • A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.

chaswr

Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2013
Scan done! 1 threat found but the log txt doesn't show it. I did copy to the clipboard and here is what it showed:

C:\Users\Charles\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\cdjbnddbclciabnckgeahmneohjlahdm\1.0_0\manager.js JS/Redirector.NCG trojan

Do I click "finish" on the eset scan window?

Attachments

• log.txt
    112 bytes · Views: 86

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Yes, you can click finish.

Open OTL. Under custom scan/fixes, copy and paste the following:

:Files
C:\Users\Charles\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\cdjbnddbclciabnckgeahmneohjlahdm

Then click Run Fix. There should be another log created, post it.

chaswr

Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2013
You know what? Some of the tools you've had me use are way over my head. I can figure most things out and do almost all my pc maintenance myself but not this one. It also looks like those same tools could really screw things up if used wrongly. All I can say is thanks for the help so far!

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
The OTL tool has customizable script feature that allows us to delete certain files and registries that "automated" scanners can't detect because they use signatures. If the scanner you are using don't have the signature for the malware on your PC, it won't find it (which was the case here).

The ESET detection isn't major, nothing to fret about. Do a new OTL scan for me so I can verify that your PC is clean :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.