Tallorder's Computer configuration

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
There is a way to update SP3 further. The so called Unnoficial SP4,
Believe this update will extend updates until 2018 or 2019. Also includes POSready updates.
Tested on a VM when it was still in beta and it did contain .NET updates form 1 to 4 only along with Windows Media Player 11 etc.
Also to note: at the time it only worked with EN version of XP. Not sure if it now supports multi languages.

Disclaimer: Use at your own risk. Because it is not the official Microsoft version, will not provide the direct link.

In the end, would agree with @exterminator20 : Upgrade to Windows 7 if you can.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well once you did an upgrade for Windows 7 or 8.1 here are the changes you must to do.

1) Backup and Recovery: Having external HDD/USB for storing important files that can easily accessible in case of emergency; then install like Macrium Reflect for backing up the whole system.

2) For realtime protection if you upgrade for Windows 8.1, built in Windows Defender is capable already as baseline protection.
Other alternatives are Avast Free or Avira Free.

3) For on demand scanner to scan for viruses/malware once a week, starters like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Hitman Pro are fine already.

4) For PDF reader, Foxit Reader is fine already as your alternative to Adobe Reader.

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Hi, and thanks to everyone. I usually use y'all, being as I am from Arkansas, but not sure if that would give me problems with future grading as to grammer..., spelling, proper syntax of the English language...LOL.
I did read one article about 'special members', and proper use of language was included in what might get one into that realm. So, friend exterminator20,, please let me know if I may use..y'all. Now, as I tried to post my configuration as complete as possible, you might notice that this computer has one slow processor on it. I did a performance test, which was due to you and this community, and by the results I got, it's amazing this computer even does this well. I am cautious about changing much, as I want the least amount of impact on the computer. What I really need first, I think, is to know how to back this computer up, and how to save my photos, etc. and receipts from instrument sales, without backing up every tiny piece of scrap junk I have accumulated! Then, I can chance a crash and experiment!

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Well once you did an upgrade for Windows 7 or 8.1 here are the changes you must to do.

1) Backup and Recovery: Having external HDD/USB for storing important files that can easily accessible in case of emergency; then install like Macrium Reflect for backing up the whole system.

2) For realtime protection if you upgrade for Windows 8.1, built in Windows Defender is capable already as baseline protection.
Other alternatives are Avast Free or Avira Free.

3) For on demand scanner to scan for viruses/malware once a week, starters like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Hitman Pro are fine already.

4) For PDF reader, Foxit Reader is fine already as your alternative to Adobe Reader.
If I go to back up, it asks me which files...(if I remember), and that is where I got lost. The whole thing? exe's? have absolutely no idea what to tell it to do, and someone told me that it could be backing up for....forget.. a very long time, or a huge amount of data...

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
By the way, I am looking at new threats that are being posted, and that ADGUARD seems to block most. Can I add that to my computer, even if I have McAfee and Malwarebytes on here? Will they work together? Thanks.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
By the way, I am looking at new threats that are being posted, and that ADGUARD seems to block most. Can I add that to my computer, even if I have McAfee and Malwarebytes on here? Will they work together? Thanks.
Adguard will mostly block adds and some malicious web sites. But you can add it. ;)

Reactions: tallorder and scot

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
It does work fine. One feature if you really want to make use should you need is their parental control module.
Their desktop version is more polished tho, it can be used along with the browser addon. Their anti-phishing database is reliable as well as their spyware filter.

A tool to add if you want. Not 100% needed but viable.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If I go to back up, it asks me which files...(if I remember), and that is where I got lost. The whole thing? exe's? have absolutely no idea what to tell it to do, and someone told me that it could be backing up for....forget.. a very long time, or a huge amount of data...

Well you may use third party backup like Macrium Reflect to make a backup of system image (contains all the contents you have on your system) alongside of bootable CD/DVD/USB in order to have recovery environment provided by program itself to restore a system image.

It take a lot of time but still worth in case of any problems arises. ;)

Reactions: tallorder

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for sharing your config :) I think your first move before anything else would be to Upgrade your current OS (XP) to at least Windows 7
exterminator20, I have been figuring out what makes this computer tick, before I upgrade to Windows 7, and totally wondering if this computer will hold that without failure or problems. Please take a look back at my configuration, also the Speed Test I ran...which I couldn't get the pic up for):
  • Download Speed 9.84 Mbps (1229.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Upload Speed 0.73 Mbps (91.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Latency 50 ms
  • Jitter 1 ms, also my hardware, that was inquired about, will follow. Need to restart right now.

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
exterminator20, I have been figuring out what makes this computer tick, before I upgrade to Windows 7, and totally wondering if this computer will hold that without failure or problems. Please take a look back at my configuration, also the Speed Test I ran...which I couldn't get the pic up for):
  • Download Speed 9.84 Mbps (1229.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Upload Speed 0.73 Mbps (91.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Latency 50 ms
  • Jitter 1 ms, also my hardware, that was inquired about, will follow. Need to restart right now.
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/uLFjUWQQE1tGntukMiRrrjN. Here is Hardware and computer info...

Attachments

• YOUR-A3C0DDA297.txt
    685.3 KB · Views: 4,908

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.