App Review The Best Second Opinion Scanner?

• Thread starter MalwareBlockerYT
  • Start date
It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Which is your favourite Second Opinion Scanner?

• Total voters
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Norton Power Eraser isn't a Second-Opinion scanner, it's an aggressive malware-removal tool to eradicate stubborn malware which marks legitimate programs for removal.

I would consider there to be a difference between a true second-opinion scanner and a dedicated virus/malware remover. Your thoughts?
That is a very good point, I technically wouldn't call it a Second Opinion Scanner when it isn't designed for eg. weekly scans - it is designed to cleanup after an infection.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Norton Power Eraser isn't a Second-Opinion scanner, it's an aggressive malware-removal tool to eradicate stubborn malware which marks legitimate programs for removal.

I would consider there to be a difference between a true second-opinion scanner and a dedicated virus/malware remover. Your thoughts?

This PC is not heavy infected, just that .exe file sit on AppData/Local (Zemana by default don't scan Appdata - BIG FAIL).
I don't think that NPE is only dedicated virus/malware remover.
For me it's the same as all 2nd opinion (MBAM, EEK, HitmanPro...).

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
This PC is not heavy infected, just that .exe file sit on AppData/Local (Zemana by default don't scan Appdata - BIG FAIL).
I don't think that NPE is only dedicated virus/malware remover.
For me it's the same as all 2nd opinion (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, EEK, HitmanPro...).
Yeah no you can use it as a 2nd Opinion scanner, but I believe it's designed to thoroughly clean out infections. Zemana should scan Appdata :(

A grest review as always. :)
I just think adding EEK to the test would have been a good idea.
Thanks & don't worry about that because there will be a test coming for EEK :) It will also be in the Malware Removal Guide 2017 video I am working on :)

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Missing a couple of good free one's. Emsisoft emergency kit and HerdProtect. I'm pretty sure that hitmanpro and zemena are the same. Last I checked at least I knew that it used the same engine from Hitman.
They are not exactly the same since Zemana got a lower detection rate. Also I understand that I didn't put in every Second Opinion Scanners, but those are the main 3 people use (in my experience).

W

Wave

Thread author
I need to test XVirus again & see how it does :)
Probably not very well against ransomware since it's based on the .NET Framework. He cannot monitor file changes before they actually occur so regardless of what happens, unless he blocks prior to execution via signatures, some damage will be done at least. He can neither know which process was actually responsible for the file encryption so he cannot just terminate the individual threat with the anti-ransomware component.

However according to him, it works well against threats like Cerber. I do not know, but I have seen him test it and it did seem to work so who knows.

W

Wave

Thread author
Probably not very well against ransomware since it's based on the .NET Framework. He cannot monitor file changes before they actually occur so regardless of what happens, unless he blocks prior to execution via signatures, some damage will be done at least. He can neither know which process was actually responsible for the file encryption so he cannot just terminate the individual threat with the anti-ransomware component.
I mean don't get me wrong, I support Xvirus Anti-Malware and even have plans to contribute soon too, I do recommend it to people since I support it as seen in my posts before also, but sadly it's a bit limited and that is not the developers fault but due to framework usage. The developer is a good worker who is knowledgeable IMO, he's doing well for .NET IMO :)

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Use Zemana Free. I have Emsisoft Emergency Kit in a USB also.
Zemana isn't free - there is a trial, but you have to pay for a license. I use both of those too :)

I mean don't get me wrong, I support Xvirus Anti-Malware and even have plans to contribute soon too, I do recommend it to people since I support it as seen in my posts before also, but sadly it's a bit limited and that is not the developers fault but due to framework usage. The developer is a good worker who is knowledgeable IMO, he's doing well for .NET IMO :)
Yeah .NET is difficult to use for an AV.

NPE is better than all :)
It is pretty good, but so are all the other tools :)

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Ain't the on-demand scanner component of Zemana free to scan and remove malware?
Last time I checked, yes.

Zemana AntiMalware free: allows you to scan and remove threats
Zemana Antimalware Premium: adds real-time protection and Pandora cloud sandbox

In both, users can scan and remove malware

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Nice Video:cool:
HITMANPRO would be in an advantage cause its using more engine, its only disadvantage is its not FREE... so you would either go with ZAM or Herdprotect for 2nd opinion.

I miss the early ZAM... if I'm not mistaken it uses 6 engines before.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Ain't the on-demand scanner component of Zemana free to scan and remove malware?
There is a Free version yes, but I thought they meant the full version with Real Time protection.

Last time I checked, yes.

Zemana AntiMalware free: allows you to scan and remove threats
Zemana Antimalware Premium: adds real-time protection and Pandora cloud sandbox

In both, users can scan and remove malware
There is a Free version yes, but I thought they meant the full version with Real Time protection. Yes you are correct :)

HitmanPro FTW!! :)

Thanks for the video. Another good one.
Thanks for watching :)
Nice Video:cool:
HITMANPRO would be in an advantage cause its using more engine, its only disadvantage is its not FREE... so you would either go with ZAM or Herdprotect for 2nd opinion.

I miss the early ZAM... if I'm not mistaken it uses 6 engines before.
Thanks :) HitmanPro should be free, but that probably won't ever happen :(

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Nice video, thanks :)

On demand scanners have a relative importance of course.
The absence of the real-time protection is a gap if we, for example, think of a ransomware that, if not immediately detected by the main AV, in a few minutes starts to encrypt files or a RAT that can send tons of info in real time.
At this point, it is useful at least to run frequent on demand scans, and I use Zemana Antilogger with automatic scan on boot.

jAcos

Level 2
Verified
Aug 9, 2016
Zemana isn't free - there is a trial, but you have to pay for a license. I use both of those too :)

Yeah .NET is difficult to use for an AV.

It is pretty good, but so are all the other tools :)

I use ZAM Free and it's free. Please see image below.

7821055zamfree.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.