The Netherlands has the fastest internet in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
The latest "State of the Internet" report by internet cloud services provider Akamai has revealed that the Netherlands has the fastest internet connection speed in Europe. It is also the fourth fastest globally, coming behind world leader South Korea, then Japan and Hong Kong. This is an improvement on last year, when it was rated as having the sixth-fastest internet connection in the world. Faster internet in the Netherlands The Netherlands' higher position is due to a strong 23 per cent quarter-over-quarter increase in its internet connection speed. The improvement means that the Netherlands has overtaken previous fastest country Switzerland and is well ahead of other fast countries such as the Czech Republic, Latvia and the United States.

Both the Netherlands and Switzerland maintained average connection speeds last quarter above the 10Mbps "high broadband" threshold (at 12,5 and 11,6 average Mbps respectively), joined in third place by the Czech Republic (with 11,3 Mbps). The Netherlands has also had extremely high year-on-year growth in high broadband connectivity: 106 per cent. With 44 per cent of its high broadband connections above 10 Mbps, the Netherlands is number three in the world in this area. This puts it just behind Japan with 49 per cent and, like everyone else, well behind South Korea, which has 70 per cent of its connections faster than 10 Mbps. The global average is 19 per cent. Naturally, the Netherlands also does well at slower speeds, with 87 per cent of its connections greater than 4 Mbps.

The Netherlands does not rate so highly for average peak connection speed, however, being placed ninth, but speed here did increase slightly in contrast to the decrease in the global average.

Global internet connection speeds The average connection speed continues to increase all over the world, growing 10 per cent quarter-over-quarter to 3,6 Mbps. This was driven by large quarter-over-quarter changes in many counties, including perennial "speed leader" South Korea, which had an enormous 66 per cent quarterly increase in average connections speed, growing to 22,1 Mbps. The Netherlands had the next highest quarterly growth in the global top ten, followed by six other countries with quarterly increases of around 10 per cent.

Top 10 Average Connection Speeds
1. South Korea 22,1 Mbps
2. Japan 13,3 Mbps
3. Hong Kong 12,5 Mbps
4. Netherlands 12,5 Mbps
5. Switzerland 11,6 Mbps
6. Czech Republic 11,3 Mbps
7. Latvia 11,1 Mbps
8. United States 9,8 Mbps
9. Belgium 9,7 Mbps
10. Ireland 9,6 Mbps

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
UPC, ZIGGO and others are upgrading their network, as planned since 2011.
If everything goes as planned the Netherlands will be close or even above South Korea.
Dutch ISP providers start offering internet + phone + tv + Mobile services with build in 200Mbit+ internet as default.

JAY Mooooarr speed to the masses.:rolleyes:

Reactions: starchild76
S

starchild76

Lucky for me I live in the Netherlands then :). I have kpn @ the moment and in a few months we will get a glassfibre connection , so I am vey
anxious to see , how mucch speed improvement that will give me. thanks for this interesting post nvt!!

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
Lucky for me I live in the Netherlands then :). I have kpn @ the moment and in a few months we will get a glassfibre connection , so I am vey
anxious to see , how mucch speed improvement that will give me. thanks for this interesting post nvt!!

Ben je hollands? Groetjes uit Harlingen.
Lol well so you are dutch right?
Nice.

I use to have KPN in the old days, ill die first before I am ever going to take their internet again.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Ben je hollands? Groetjes uit Harlingen.
Lol well so you are dutch right?
Nice.

I use to have KPN in the old days, ill die first before I am ever going to take their internet again.
n.nvt, then please don't take KPN again as we'd all miss your posts if you :eek:died!
PS I know you were j/k!:D

Reactions: Nico@FMA
S

starchild76

ja nvt ik ben ook nederlands :) groeten terug vanuit Doetinchem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.