TomC's Configuration

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
What was your last malware infection ? What do you prefer of Internet Explorer 11 compared to other browsers ?
Also, is your External HDD set to take scheduled back ups or you take them when you think about it ? What made you move the UAC setting to the highest ?

TomC

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
Hi. My last malware infection was a PUP, it was a browser hijacker (sorry, I forgot its name). I got it by installing a software. I was able to remove it using MBAM Premium 2.0 with instructions on MalwareTips.
I like IE11 because its really fast compared to Firefox based on my experience. I do not use Google Chrome.
Well, regarding my External HDD it is not set to take scheduled back-ups. I just save my important files to it and concerning with UAC, I really don't know if it is already set in default. It just pops up every time I open some software.

I am very open for any recommendations you can give.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Hi. My last malware infection was a PUP, it was a browser hijacker (sorry, I forgot its name). I got it by installing a software. I was able to remove it using MBAM Premium 2.0 with instructions on MalwareTips.
I like IE11 because its really fast compared to Firefox based on my experience. I do not use Google Chrome.
Well, regarding my External HDD it is not set to take scheduled back-ups. I just save my important files to it and concerning with UAC, I really don't know if it is already set in default. It just pops up every time I open some software.

I am very open for any recommendations you can give.

For the UAC, if you never changed it, it's still set to "Default".
Also, Internet Explorer 11 is good, but it have more vulnerabilities than other browsers, so I suggest you to at least turn on Enhanced Protection Mode (EPM) in it for additional protections. If you want, x64-based browsers like Google Chrome x64 or CyberFox/Waterfox (x64 variants of Firefox) runs better on x64 systems as they are more compatible, so you can give them a try.
And that's what I thought with the External HDD. You can also install a back up software if you ever feel the need.

Reactions: Fel Grossi and TomC

TomC

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
Hi Aura, I have never changed UAC because I do not know how to change its setting, obviously, its the "Default". Thanks much for your recommendations, I would try it sooner.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014

Fel Grossi

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Hello brother, thank you for sharing your settings. Basic knowledge and his last infection was a PUP, I advise you to install Unchecky to have better protection from PUPs.

http://unchecky.com/

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, TomC, for sharing your simply good configuration, and I agree with Aura's suggestions :)particularly choosing "Protected Mode" in IE.
Set this using these steps.
  1. Click settings (the gear shaped symbol) and choose security tab.
  2. On the left, below the slide control for security level, check the box "Enable Protected Mode (requires restarting Internet Explorer)".:D
Similar to Firefox, our two portable 64 bit Gecko Based Browsers keep our system lighter:
  1. Palemoon www.palemoon.org
  2. Cyberfox www.8pecxstudios.com
  3. and Chrome http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Internet/Browsers/Google-Chrome-Portable.shtml though I've chosen stable, there is also Beta, or Dev.
They are each extremely responsive, and installed on USB Flash Drives along with other portable apps such as CCleaner.;)

Oh, look!o_O The banner (below) alludes to the added security afforded by Sandboxie, an added security measure which contains your browser in a virtual sandbox thus preventing unwanted changes to your system. Updates & add-on you've tested and wish to keep must be added without the sandbox's protection.:) Get the free version here www.sandboxie.com:cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.