Mini Spy

Latest Threads

1. Warning Welcome to MalwareTips.com, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn about PC security and computers.
    As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but you can not create new threads or reply to an existing one unless you are a registered member. By joining our free community you will have access to post threads, start private conversations with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.
    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join us today!
  2. Emsisoft  Mobile Security GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com: Emsisoft Mobile Security Giveaway

Get a free license key for Emsisoft Mobile Security to protect your Android smartphone. We are giving away Emsisoft Mobile Security license keys for our awesome members!

Get an Emsisoft Mobile Security license key!

3. Zemana AntiLogger Unlimited GiveawayEXCLUSIVE: Zemana AntiLogger Giveaway

Get a free license key for Zemana AntiLogger. We are giving away 300 Zemana AntiLogger license keys for our awesome members!

Get a Zemana AntiLogger license key!

4.  NoVirusThanks EXE GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com : NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro Giveaway

Get a free license key for NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro. We are giving away NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro license keys for our awesome members!

Get a NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro license key!

5. ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security GiveawayEXCLUSIVE MalwareTips.com:ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security Giveaway

Starting with April 17,2014 get a free license key for ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security. We are giving away ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security license keys for our awesome members!

ZoneAlarm 2015 Extreme Security Giveaway starting on April 17,2014

6. Windows XP End Of Support

After 12 years, support for Windows XP has ended on April 8, 2014. There will be no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. Without critical Windows XP security updates, your PC may become vulnerable to harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software which can steal or damage your business data and information. Many software vendors will no longer support their products running on Windows XP as they are unable to receive Windows XP updates. Most PC hardware manufacturers will stop supporting Windows XP on existing and new hardware.

7. Tip of the Day Always keep an eye on what you click and download, including music, movies, files, browser plug-ins or add-ons
    Be wary of pop-up windows that ask you to download software or that offer to fix your computer. Often these pop-ups will claim that your computer has been infected and that their download can fix it – don’t believe them. Close the window and make sure you don’t click inside the pop-up window. Do not open files of unknown types, or if you see unfamiliar browser prompts or warnings asking you to open a file. Sometimes malware may prevent you from leaving a page if you land on it, for example by repeatedly opening a download prompt. If this happens, use your computer’s task manager or activity monitor to close your browser.

truoc's "other" pc

Discussion in 'Security Configuration Wizard' started by truoc, Jan 3, 2012.

1. truoc

truoc New Member

Other Utilities used/installed:
    CCleaner
    Revo Uninstaller free
    Filehippo Update Checker
    Secunia PSI
    Panda USB vaccine (autorun disabled)

Firewall: NIS2012
    Router: Firewall enabled with allowed only wireless mac addresses for connectivity
    DNS: OpenDNS

This setup is on a PC that an older family member uses that doesn't know too much about computers. It is basically used for surfing the web, email, and Facebook things. It seems to work okay, but the NIS2012 subscription will be running out soon and I don't think I will be renewing so open to any and all suggestions for replacement combo's (the less screens popping up the better as the person using this wouldn't know to click "allow" or "block" to something) as well as feedback on current setup.
  2. DiabloBlack

DiabloBlack Regular Member

Config looks good. I would suggest the following addons for Firefox:

Consider a backup solution, some suggestions are:

Personally I would stick with Norton Internet Security.

Allowing only certain MAC addresses on your network may give you a sense of security and may slow a hacker down but in reality they can be spoofed by a determined opponent.

What type of encryption are you using on your router?
  3. truoc

truoc New Member

Thanks for the reply! I guess I thought that allowing only certain mac addresses would keep me safer, but that is not the case? So should I go ahead and disable that option on the router? Also I am using WPA/WPA2 encryption.
  4. DiabloBlack

DiabloBlack Regular Member

A determined hacker will do what ever to try and get by your defenses. The general snooper would be considered a non-threat. You can leave the MAC address configuration as is, just remember it isn't perfect and is more of a deterrent . You mentioned that you have older computers on your network so you probably need WPA which is not bad (way more secure than WEP). But if at all possible use WPA2 encryption exclusively.

Really good config.
  5. McLovin

McLovin Active Member

Very solid config, make sure you get some backup tho ;)
  6. muhammadariif

muhammadariif Regular Member

If the user that doesn't know too much about computers you can configure its first to game mode or other silent setting or you can set it to remove automatically all treats :)
  7. ocsi

ocsi Regular Member

Very solid config. I do not think you need Panda USB vaccine.:D