Serious Discussion Uninstalr: Or how I tested all the Windows uninstallers and ended up making a new one

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
It does support batch uninstall, so the "claim" as you call it, is correct. This is the info on the site; "Remove multiple programs at once", and that it does. It says nothing about attended or unattended, it is only you who do that. So it does not fail or are a failed program, that is false information on your part. Your program do not become better by bashing other programs, you only come off as unserious.

So, HiBit uninstaller supports batch uninstall - period.

That is a matter of definition. In my book, batch uninstallation means that any number of apps are uninstalled in batch, that is, without any further user interaction. If anything else is considered a batch uninstallation, then Windows Apps listing supports "batch uninstallation" as well. Just click every single popup in a batch and as such, the entire term "batch uninstall" would mean nothing.

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
Also its worth noting that you used another product created by you, WinFindr, to check for leftover files/folders and registry keys after uninstallation. This may bias the overall purpose of these tests.

That is because there is no other program (AFAIK) that would allow one to search with multiple search terms at the same time, and that would produce a list of search results in a single UI of both file system and registry data. The lack of such functionality was the reason why I made WinFindr to begin with.

Besides, if anyone doubts the results of WinFindr in this context, they are free to reproduce the test using any other data searching tool instead. And I absolutely urge people to test the software they use.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Also one more feature which would be disabled by default and could be optional is uninstall monitor which can detect the leftovers automatically even when the app is removed from windows add/remove. This feature is already in Iobit uninstaller. Also an option can be added in windows add/remove for Uninstalr just like Iobit.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Tried this installer on 3 separate days with about one week between each, first time 2 blue screens,second a time worked great no blue screen, third time it could not uninstall Bitdefender Total security (guess this is normal? Used Bitdefender uninstall tool from there site,gonna keep as a second option(free with great potential!!)

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
It creates a snapshot and then monitors whether any new software is installed after that. But it cannot detect AviDemux, because of a bug within Uninstalr. Can you name any other software it failed to detect? If I can reproduce the problem, I can fix it.
Thanks for the reply. I don't remember the exact applications I've tested, but when I encounter them will let you know. One of them was 7z, btw. The installer wasn't detected by the monitoring feature (probably the same bug as for AviDemux)?

JohnR

Level 2
Feb 19, 2020
Tested on both Win 10 Pro (Intel) and Win 11 Pro (AMD) with O&O set as default defrag tool during install.

Uninstall O&O with Windows tool, no problem and system reverts to Windows defrag
Uninstall O&O with Hibit, no problem and system reverts to Windows defrag.
Uninstall O&O with Geek, no problem and system reverts to Windows defrag.
Uninstall O&O with Revo, no problem and system reverts to Windows defrag.
Uninstall O&O while eating a cheese and pickle sandwich, no problem and system reverts to Windows defrag.

Uninstall O&O with Uninstalr, Windows defrag fails to launch after O&O has been removed and instead displays a message stating the (Win defrag tool) is no longer installed on the system. ran CHKDSK and SFC to no avail, Optimize drives, DCOM and RPC services all running.

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
Tried this installer on 3 separate days with about one week between each, first time 2 blue screens,second a time worked great no blue screen, third time it could not uninstall Bitdefender Total security (guess this is normal? Used Bitdefender uninstall tool from there site,gonna keep as a second option(free with great potential!!)

Thank you for reporting! The blue screen issue was present in the version 1.0 of Uninstalr and has been since fixed in the version 1.1. The version 1.1 also shows an additional warning if you are trying to uninstall any antivirus or antimalware related product, as they are typically protected against automated uninstallations (otherwise any malware could just uninstall the protection before going wild in your system).

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Thank you for reporting! The blue screen issue was present in the version 1.0 of Uninstalr and has been since fixed in the version 1.1. The version 1.1 also shows an additional warning if you are trying to uninstall any antivirus or antimalware related product, as they are typically protected against automated uninstallations (otherwise any malware could just uninstall the protection before going wild in your system).
Its generally recommended to use an anti-virus's own uninstaller to remove it, some uninstall programs will use these. How does your program handle this? Thanks.

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
Its generally recommended to use an anti-virus's own uninstaller to remove it, some uninstall programs will use these. How does your program handle this? Thanks.

Uninstalr version 1.1 and later shows a warning if user is attempting to uninstall anything that looks like an antivirus / antimalware related product. If user still wishes to proceed, Uninstalr attempts to uninstall the program as normal. That is, it will first execute the app's own uninstaller, and after that, it will use its own custom uninstallation engine to remove any possible leftovers.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Uninstalr version 1.1 and later shows a warning if user is attempting to uninstall anything that looks like an antivirus / antimalware related product. If user still wishes to proceed, Uninstalr attempts to uninstall the program as normal. That is, it will first execute the app's own uninstaller, and after that, it will use its own custom uninstallation engine to remove any possible leftovers.
Perfect. Thanks.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
That is a matter of definition. In my book, batch uninstallation means that any number of apps are uninstalled in batch, that is, without any further user interaction. If anything else is considered a batch uninstallation, then Windows Apps listing supports "batch uninstallation" as well. Just click every single popup in a batch and as such, the entire term "batch uninstall" would mean nothing.
Oh, you are a slippery one. You are mixing your thoughts and wishes with real world circumstances and tries to make them into facts.
There is a difference between worldly facts and personal opinion.

If one looks up the definition of the words there is no support for your theory.
Of course there is meaning, one saves click by batch uninstall, THAT, is the meaning. Not freedom from supervision. So the comment - "mean nothing", is illogical and emotional and witness about a restless experience once upon a time.

Do not think that i do not understand what you mean, i have "been there" once myself when i was new to computers and wondered; what then is the point with batch uninstall. Later on i learned the disadvantages with it as mentioned in this thread. It does not make the right decisions sometimes when uninstalling so an uninstaller built to be better than Windows inbuilt can actually defeat its purpose by that.

Based on experience i rather lean back and supervise than "let it do its job" and go away.

So, it is not "a matter of definition", anyone who thinks that has not got the facts straight and are just being personal with their experience.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: piquiteco

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018

That can be a good thing when removing Av:s and such if it restarts and removes leftovers more thoroughly by that restart, as meant.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Also one more feature which would be disabled by default and could be optional is uninstall monitor which can detect the leftovers automatically even when the app is removed from windows add/remove. This feature is already in Iobit uninstaller. Also an option can be added in windows add/remove for Uninstalr just like Iobit.
Hi @jv16 Thanks for making a great app. Just wanted to know is this something that can be implemented in future?

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023

I think that a similar option to search for traces of already uninstalled applications exists in SoftOgranizer and probably a few others.

But isn't this already included in the Uninstalr? I thought, that's why I see the leftover flag in the list. I could be wrong, as jv16 didn't answer what triggers that status.
Also, @jv16 did you test the 7zip installer with the monitoring feature? It wasn't detected at all.

A user in our forum tested it and 7-Zip was detected on his system:
fakeuninstaller_detect1.png.79953ca0c049f2a144fa7d18a8cf2444.png

I am wondering why it wasn't on my own:
Image-504.png

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Bad Uninstalr, Bad. :cautious:

@jv16 Yesterday early in the evening I installed the Vivaldi Browser, because I wanted to see if it could replace Google Chrome as my backup browser. (And it can in my opinion.) After having it installed complete with a few extensions, and trying Vivaldi out for a while, I decided to uninstall Google Chrome. So I started Uninstalr and searched for "Google Chrome", and then checked the box next to it. It was the only thing showing, so no other software, and I then clicked the uninstall button.

While it was busy removing Chrome I also suddenly saw that Uninstalr was also removing my Razer Central and NVidia software!? (And who knows, maybe more!) I had to use my backup image to be certain that everything was in perfect order again. A uninstall program should only remove the program that it is asked to remove, not other software that has nothing to do with Google Chrome!! (I tried it a second time and the result was the same.)

Uninstalr has potential, I think, but this is a big NOPE for me at this moment. I have removed Uninstalr, and maybe I will give it a try in the future after it has matured more.

Sorry for this negative post, but this really surprised me yesterday? :eek:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.