UsbFix by SosVirus - Used it ?

Do you use USB specific security / protection

• Yes! ...I have nightmares about 'BadUSB'.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Uh, my leet AV suite has that built in.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Please... I don't need to rely on that.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cain

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
I recently came across UsbFix by 'SosVirus' ("what, and who?"). I looked through the information on its website and would like to learn a bit more about it, but from a more impartial source.
So, I'll open it up to the forum...

logo-usbfix-dl8-400x300-300x300.png

According to SosVirus:

" UsbFix removes all types of infections that are spread through this system."
" Adapted to the infections of types USB, he aims at all the types of infections which propagates by this system."
" The author of malware understood well it and exploit this “transport mode” to make more victims.. He doesn’t content with cleaning your USB keys, cards SDs…"

" He will also clean your PC if the infection is active on the system.
" He clean the famous “shortcut virus USB”…"

" With over 5 milion downloads, UsbFix has become the benchmark in its field."

I found a thread here on MT created not very long ago by BoraMurdar. A write-up with all the general info about UsbFix ...so I wont detail any specifics about it now, it's been done.
MT Source:
SosVirus Sources:

I would like to know who has used UsbFix and if it's worth testing out. What's your opinion about it? Maybe it's a widely known tool and I've just managed not to come across until now, so asking about it might seem a bit backwards ... I'm not sure.

I did notice that BoraMurdar's thread didn't seem to get much feedback though and I'm wondering if it's because not many people saw it or if maybe because UsbFix isn't really anything special.

SosVirus also seem to have heavily affiliated themselves with Bitdefender, so I'm suspicious that UsbFix is just a kind of re-branded 'Bitdefender - USB Immunizer'.

...Anyways, I'll throw it over to the forum to comment.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I am using a similar programme called MC Shield which does the same thing (I think). Personally I found it to be very useful because my colleagues and I normally pass documents through thumbdrives and some of them do not have the proper protection, leading to infected USBs. MC Shield has detected over 5 infected USBs over the course of 1 year and I am very satisfied with the protection.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Immunization or USB Realtime protection/ both of them can use efficiently as USB attacks are very annoying but dangerous when AV's response are too late to detect and spread through all registry keys.

I'm using McShield too which satisfied for 2 years in a row and common attacks are prevented on my system.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I am also a satisfied McSheild user myself and have never tried UsbFix.

Cain

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
I have had some situations where I have wanted USB flash drives that have a read-only hardware switch. Obviously to block data being written to the drive, much like the old floppy disks had on them. I noticed a few years ago all the manufacturers stopped production on any models they had with hardware switches, now they can only be found on some enterprise/military grade flash drives.

There are some great software work-arounds like USB Drive Protector ++ https://alyphmedia.wordpress.com/usb-protector/ - Creates a dummy file that leave 0kbs space on the drive so there is no room to write any other data.
Thumbscrew from Irongeek http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/thumbscrew-software-usb-write-blocker - Which flips a bit in the Windows registry to disable write access from the PC side. (relies on PC though).

First example reason being, most of us like to have our 'Toolkit' with us ready for what ever job comes up next. One of my most important kits is my USB stick, stocked with with all the tools I might need. Problem is, its vulnerable every time it goes into another PC that needs attention, many times those PC's have been affected by malware. The best protection for it is a hardware switch to block any possibility of malicious data being written to it.

Imation have the Ironkey range, seem to have recently lost hardware write-protect http://www.ironkey.com/en-US/encrypted-storage-drives/ Imation now state:

Imation no longer manufactures a flash drive with a physical write protect switch.

The previous solution for flash devices with a write protect switch is shown below. This product may still be available in distributor's inventory.

Clip.jpg

But I have just come across the The Kanguru SS3™, which compared to others options left on the market, is very reasonably priced... I might put in an order.

The Kanguru SS3™
http://store.kanguru.com/products/kanguru-ss3
  • SuperSpeed USB3.0 (Maintains Compatibility with USB2.0)
  • Physical Write-Protect Switch
  • Windows “Ready Boost” Compatible
  • Requires NO Admin Privileges - Just Plug and Play
  • Simple Driverless Setup
  • High-Strength Aluminum Design
  • Custom Printing/Engraving Available

KanguruSS3_TwoSticksGlamourShot_large.jpg

So it sounds like UsbFix does nothing more than McSheild does, which is already great at its job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.