Using ChatGPT to Write Emails That Aren't Riddled With Typos

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
"The idea that you can rely on looking for bad grammar or spelling in order to spot a phishing attack is no longer the case," Corey Thomas, CEO of US cybersecurity firm Rapid7, told The Guardian. According to the newspaper, data from Darktrace, one of the UK's most prominent cybersecurity firms, seems to indicate that more and more phishing emails are being written by chatbots. That's not good, as these LLMs tend to synthesize convincing-sounding prose in an authoritative style — a perfect fit for the corporate and official emails they're trying to imitate.
Executing these typically requires some degree of planning and research to gather details about a target to make the scam more convincing. Until now, the extra effort involved got in the way of spear phishing becoming too ubiquitous. But an AI could potentially automate spear phishing almost entirely. "I can just crawl your social media and put it to GPT, and it creates a super-believable tailored email," Heinemeyer told The Guardian. "Even if I'm not super knowledgeable of the English language, I can craft something that's indistinguishable from human."

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Grammarly has been around for quite some time. ChatGPT text is quite the bore. Nothing new here.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I gave up on Grammerly Premium, it was too confusing with all the edits and sentence rewrites and structuring it wanted to do. I'm thinking ChatGPT may do better on the fly and thus more of a concern, as per the article?

• Thanks
Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.