App Review Voodooshield Beta 3.35 Auto-Pilot Mode

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
In this video, i have VS at default settings other then placing it in Auto-Pilot mode. I run a couple of legit applications to show the painless process of installing them even without lowering protection to install mode. I then run todays sample pack "special thank you again Silversurfer" for an unbiased test, as i did not collect the samples. This time i chose the recommended action each time, for a spotless system at the end.

If you are one of those that tend to family and friends infected systems often, i highly recommend looking into this application as a means of additional security for them, i find it runs and works great with windows 10 default security. ;)

There is a free and paid version, and in this video im running the free version.

P.S. I have to apologize for some of the background tones as i was multi tasking and had windows open in the background.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I just downloaded voodooshield and did a quick test
I tried to install avast free in autopilot mode and it broke avast installation file een after I uninstalled VS, it didnt work -> redownloaded the installation file and it worked

THere is a problem in my country that now I cannot open virustotal by any browser in any device. The same thing happened to MalwareTips and majorgeeks a few days ago. That's why I was inactive for 3-4 days. Because of VT was blocked temporarily by ISP, VS took a very long time to process files, dlls and scripts,...

my conclusion: VS needs a good internet connection. If we have a slow connection, VS is a pain

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Mrs. Cats (a typical user) and myself, enjoyed this impressive presentation of Windows Smartscreen & VoodooShield working effectively in concert.:) The old adage "Some of the best things in life are free" also fits very well here.:) Thank you @Lucent Warrior for granting my Missus, through your video, a preview of what is to come (for her system) whilst at the same time allowing me this brief moment to bask in the "smart rays" of your sun!;) :p:D

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I tried to install avast free in autopilot mode and it broke avast installation file een after I uninstalled VS, it didnt work -> redownloaded the installation file and it worked

THere is a problem in my country that now I cannot open virustotal by any browser in any device. The same thing happened to MalwareTips and majorgeeks a few days ago. That's why I was inactive for 3-4 days. Because of VT was blocked temporarily by ISP, VS took a very long time to process files, dlls and scripts,...

my conclusion: VS needs a good internet connection. If we have a slow connection, VS is a pain
Don't use it settle for another solution, it being a top product does not mean it's for everyone .
Finding another solution should not be too hard.
But in all reality it sounds as though you need a better internet connection, that has nothing to do with VS. ;)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Don't use it settle for another solution, it being a top product does not mean it's for everyone .
Finding another solution should not be too hard.
But in all reality it sounds as though you need a better internet connection, that has nothing to do with VS. ;)

He means for file reputation lookup. Also, Cuckoo Sandbox won't work very well - if at all - with poor network connectivity.

Anyhow... VS is not any different in terms of file reputation lookup than any other soft that employs file lookup service.

If you want stand-alone, offline solution then use Simple Software Restriction Policy, AppLocker or Group Policy (if you have pre-W10 version that has either).

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
He means for file reputation lookup. Also, Cuckoo Sandbox won't work very well - if at all - with poor network connectivity.

Anyhow... VS is not any different in terms of file reputation lookup than any other soft that employs file lookup service.

If you want stand-alone, offline solution then use Simple Software Restriction Policy, AppLocker or Group Policy (if you have pre-W10 version that has either).
Right, and I understand that.
It still revolves around his quality of internet, no matter what aspect of the software it is.
I have horrendous Internet, Satellite Internet to be exact any small amount of clouds knocks mine out, and I have no issues using Voodoo Shield ;)
It's due to my geographical location, I refuse to be stuffed into the city :p I love the privacy and freedom of remote locations.
AppLocker may be more to his liking I agree.

L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author

Not sure why you had that issue. Avast is a good/known application and installed with no interference
what so ever from Voodooshield while in Auto-Pilot Mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Rain may have downloaded a rogue installer maybe ?:rolleyes:
EDIT: Or the installer may have become corrupted during download, this happens often
with unstable internet connections, trust me I know :) lol
But I doubt seriously it had anything to do with an error on VS part.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Most users want a file reputation lookup - which - dependent upon how risky that user is - will eventually fail the user.

It makes me laugh... when they infect their systems by relying upon file reputation lookup, then they blame soft\vendor.
If researchers would test people for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) based on their computer habits, they would probably find that about half the population has this syndrome.
That's just the way people are.
For this reason, I think that default/deny is not sufficient for the people that need it the most.
Second and third line defenses are necessary, such as behavior blocking, policy restriction, and vulnerable process alerts/blocking. Plus a good signature-based solution.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Not sure why you had that issue. Avast is a good/known application and installed with no interference
what so ever from Voodooshield while in Auto-Pilot Mode.

thank you for making a video to clarify that. however, my first problem is VT is not accessible. When I open avast installer, VS showed: "the file is too large for uploading" then it broke. maybe theninternet dropped or something I dont know. I was watching it downloading, I downloaded directly the offline installation package from avast official website (~220Mb)
your installer is online so vs may not show any problem
my internet sucks although it is 30mbps (usually can get ~12mbps) and the router is the worst I have even seen. Even Port 80 is closed. It broke several times a year that I just replaced it by a new one, same brand because I cant use any other brand

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
If researchers would test people for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) based on their computer habits, they would probably find that about half the population has this syndrome.
That's just the way people are.
For this reason, I think that default/deny is not sufficient for the people that need it the most.
Second and third line defenses are necessary, such as behavior blocking, policy restriction, and vulnerable process alerts/blocking. Plus a good signature-based solution.
I agree with most of this, even laughed risking waking the wife :)
I do disagree however with the adding of sig-based solutions, they are quickly becoming the dinosaur of the solution options.
I do have one for On Demand scans ie HitMan Pro, but I wont rely on a sig based AV to protect me with today's risks, just not
gonna happen. I see the shift happening already and anyone with their thumb on the pulse of cyber Security can tell you Sig based
is quickly becoming something to have for that "Just In case" senario. A few short years a go this was not the case and considering
computing without A sig based AV was considered reckless and suicide. I hate change just like the next guy and I am sure there are
the AV fanboys who will argue this to the death, but it is happening never the less, and its not hard to see in today's security landscape.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I agree with most of this, even laughed risking waking the wife :)
I do disagree however with the adding of sig-based solutions, they are quickly becoming the dinosaur of the solution options.
I do have one for On Demand scans ie HitMan Pro, but I wont rely on a sig based AV to protect me with today's risks, just not
gonna happen. I see the shift happening already and anyone with their thumb on the pulse of cyber Security can tell you Sig based
is quickly becoming something to have for that "Just In case" senario. A few short years a go this was not the case and considering
computing without A sig based AV was considered reckless and suicide. I hate change just like the next guy and I am sure there are
the AV fanboys who will argue this to the death, but it is happening never the less, and its not hard to see in today's security landscape.
I can't help it, man. that old-fashioned AV just gives me a secure feeling... it's all about peace of mind, anyway...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I can't help it, man. that old-fashioned AV just gives me a secure feeling... it's all about peace of mind, anyway...
It's all good shmu26, and for me as well, I cant ditch my on demand scanner, I tried, it felt very weird.
I know I could but I'm just not ready yet. :)
PeAcE

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.