App Review Voodooshield Beta 3.43 "local Sandbox"

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
Containment: Vmware Workstation Pro, version 12.5.0 build-4352439
Guest/OS: Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607, build 14393.222
Product: Voodooshield Beta 3.43, Defualt settings/Smart Mode
Type of Test: Dynamic
Number of Samples: 7
End total: 7/7
Additional Notes: In this video i am executing and turning a few of these loose in the Local Sandbox.
These are samples from today at MT, courtesy of @silversurfer

Sample "scrwin.exe" is detected by Portable Voodooai as being safe even though a quick stop at VT shows otherwise. This did not matter when executed, Voodooai in VS deemed it suspicious as well as 12 of the blacklist engines detecting it,and of course a quick look in Cuckoo's confirms it. All 7 samples were stopped from infecting the test system.

config.exe - 11/56
crypt.exe - 6/56
m787877311.exe - 7/56
malware.exe - 13/56
scrwin.exe - 12/56
update.exe - 14/56
wf238.exe - 7/56

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
@Lucent Warrior what happens when you run safe files - like MS Office, browser, etc - in the VS Local Sandbox ?

The reason I ask...

Webroot has a local sandbox, but every time you try to run a legitimate, known safe program in its sandbox - 99.5 % of the time those programs won't run in the sandbox either. So there is no way for a user to distinguish a safe from an unsafe program by running it in the Webroot sandbox. The Webroot sandbox does not provide any meaningful, useful feedback to the user.

Using COMODO sandbox, most safe programs will run - but sometimes they will misbehave - or won't run at all due to the heavily restricted access rights within the sandbox. Once again, there is no meaningful feedback to the user that a program is safe or unsafe - other than if it does not execute or terminates and the user fully understands COMODO sandbox's access rights. In other words, if a program\file does not run or terminates in COMODO sandbox, then it is an indication that the program\file is suspicious - but how many users know that ?

L

LabZero

Thread author
Awesome and technical review with a ton of details regarding the tested samples! ;)
That's the professional review that I mean.
For sure we have an excellent and exhaustive presentation of the product, VS in this case, tested with ultrafresh and strong malware, ransomware & CO.
And at the end of the test, the system is clean!
IMO VS is a complete malware analysis lab, and I moved definitively towards it.
The Blacklist approach is obsolete, lateral thinking is the key, and VS runs this way.

Thanks @Lucent Warrior & @silversurfer.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
WoW, you knocked that one out of the park, and made me use my last rolling paper, bastage :p
Seriously though, now you see why in so many posts I declare that VS is on my system first and foremost.
It's not particularly based off of a "blind faith" but this small piece of software is, to put it simply "The Bee's Knees"
Thanks L'dub for a very educational video brother.
PeAcE

L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
@Lucent Warrior what happens when you run safe files - like MS Office, browser, etc - in the VS Local Sandbox ?
Unlike CIS you can not just right click/drop/add an application and launch it in VS's Local Sandbox. With most of the prompts i have seen so far from testing legit applications the option to sandbox has not been present, just block/quarantine/allow, this being because voodooai and the blacklist generally deem the file safe but still leave it up to the user whether to proceed with it or block/quarantine it. I will test this further by trying to find legit applications with just enough factors to hopefully initiate the option to sandbox.

I do know from testing it, that one can not just terminate something running in the local sandbox without having to either kill the process manually via task manager/process explorer and or restarting the test system and or of course if the application self/auto terminates itself.. It is something i mentioned to the Developer and he stated that currently this is correct but at a later time he may make adjustments/additions to the local sandbox.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Unlike CIS you can not just right click/drop/add an application and launch it in VS's Local Sandbox. With most of the prompts i have seen so far from testing legit applications the option to sandbox has not been present, just block/quarantine/allow, this being because voodooai and the blacklist generally deem the file safe but still leave it up to the user whether to proceed with it or block/quarantine it. I will test this further by trying to find legit applications with just enough factors to hopefully initiate the option to sandbox.

If you don't mind me asking but what legit applications are you testing? I'm getting the option to sandbox almost everything I test - trusted and untrusted.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Standard apps like Ccleaner ect. Im going to fire up the VM and do some more testing today, as i have focused mainly on stopping infections so far with my testing.

That's understandable as your focus is with malware. I do not test malware, only known and unknown, but legitimate applications.

This is what I get with CCleaner portable. The sandboxing itself didn't work in this instance because CCleaner wanted to elevate which was then blocked by VS.

Voodooshield_ccleaner552.png

L

Lucent Warrior

Thread author
@askmark , you were correct, after revisiting some of those applications in earlier testing i did, the option was there to sandbox, as in your present Blue screenshot above this in Post #10, a mistake on my part information wise, as i did not recall seeing it there from testing different Modes and the different pop ups that can occur. I have not tested many Legit applications as stated, and when i do, mostly it is on the Host machine and only a few in the guest, and i utilized the disable/install mode in the right click tray icon of VS for the Host.
I ran a handful of Legit applications with VS in default "smart Mode" and did receive some Normal pop ups with options to do all.

@hjlbx Your question seems to be answered in these few samples i ran, it appears they will mainly break and crash.

A glimpse....

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The one issue that I have about the VS sandbox is that it really seems to be too restrictive in trying things out- bu that may have been done deliberately by the developer- as the point is already made that the file may be dodgy he doesn't want it to be screwed around with. So maybe it's not that it is an issue, just that I'm overly critical.

Really nice production on the video, and Oh Man I wish I used that song before you did!!!!

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
The one issue that I have about the VS sandbox is that it really seems to be too restrictive in trying things out- bu that may have been done deliberately by the developer- as the point is already made that the file may be dodgy he doesn't want it to be screwed around with. So maybe it's not that it is an issue, just that I'm overly critical.

Really nice production on the video, and Oh Man I wish I used that song before you did!!!!

the music you use in your videos are ALWAYS epic sis!!!! ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.