Mini Spy

Latest Threads

1. HitmanPro CHRISTMAS GIVEAWAY: REVO UNINSTALLER PRO GIVEAWAY

Get a free license key for Revo Uninstaller Pro. We are giving away free Revo Uninstaller Pro keys for our awesome members!

(LIVE) Get now a Revo Uninstaller Pro license key!

2. CHRISTMAS GIVEAWAY: SPYSHELTER PREMIUM GIVEAWAY

Get a free license key for SpyShelter Premium. We are giving away free SpyShelter Premium keys for our awesome members!

(LIVE) Get now a SpyShelter Premium license key!

Watch out for Fake Codecs

Discussion in 'Avoid Malware' started by Huracan, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Huracan

Huracan Administrator MalwareTips Staff

Internet savvy user may already be aware of these tactics, but for those who aren't, see below. This also may be why many recommend using an AdBlocker; most common are browser extensions (ie. AdBlock or AdBlock Plus)

You may encounter this whilst browsing online video sites to catch-up with the latest movies or TV shows, without an AdBlocker. While it may not cause an immediate danger, falling for the bait and you may end up with unwanted software or even a virus on your PC.

[attachment=4019]
    Image 1: A message that duplicates the browsers methods of informing the user, a "HD video codec is missing" with an "Install" button.

[attachment=4020]
    Image 2: Does this look familiar? Looks like the Chrome's website, but it's a copy with a download for the fake codec.

[attachment=4021]
    Image 3: Hmm.. the landing page doesn't exist.

Let's take a look at the Site Rating of the webpage (as shown in the screenshots) :
    Code:
    http://www.urlvoid.com/scan/hd-plugin.com/
    https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.hd-plugin.com
    Hope you found this helpful in some way! :)

Attached Files:

2. Gnosis

Gnosis Well-Known Member

I have fallen victim to this once before. Luckily it was just spamware and HiJackThis took care of most of it.

3. Spirit

Spirit Regular Member

4. Gnosis

Gnosis Well-Known Member

Actually what I got hit with was on the front and center of and embedded media player. Soon as I clicked on it, it injected me with so much spam/crap. I sniffed it out quick, and nipped it in the bud.

On a related not, I tried out that tool Fiery has been using (adwCleaner)

Very nice.

5. jamescv7

jamescv7 Community Superstar Trusted Member

Don't forget also that when you went from a unknown site and the Adblock Plus detected through your browser asked to turn off then better to stay away off, some legitimate ads site do this but it could do for malicious activities.

6. Littlebits

Littlebits Super Moderator MalwareTips Staff

These fake codec websites have been around for awhile, they come and go so fast that they are very hard to detect by most AV's. Some also will say your Adobe Flash Player needs to be updated, when you download the file then your are infected.

Just never download any file period from unknown sites.
    MajorGeeks, Softpedia, FileHippo, DownloadCrew and SnapFiles have trusted files that they test for malware. Bookmark these download sites and when a website says you need a codec, Flash Player update, etc. go to your bookmarks and download the request files or updates.

Fake alert websites are responsible for most of the malware infection today.

If you need a video or audio codec then get K-lite Codec Pack from MajorGeeks because they always have the latest version.

Enjoy!!:D

7. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Regular Member

This has gone online now, I remember when it was on torrents within some new movies. :) These guys were planting this type of codecs in dvdrip movies which we're just trailers:)

8. softwareFREEk

softwareFREEk Regular Member

Aussie PC Authority Mag site is very similar to downloadcrew.com
    with latest downloads and editors choices :D

http://downloads.pcauthority.com.au/

9. pardeep

pardeep Regular Member

Thanks for share

10. Littlebits

Littlebits Super Moderator MalwareTips Staff

I believe both download sites are clones of each other. I don't know which one was first but both have the exact same reviewers, reviews, shotlights, giveaways, etc. This was the first time for me to visit pcauthority and I logged right on with my DownloadCrew user name and password.

All of my user commits and ratings from DownloadCrew was also automatically posted on pcauthority as well.

So I'm guessing that pcauthority must be an Australian version of DownloadCrew which is based in the UK. Both sites are about exactly the same.

Thanks.:D

11. softwareFREEk

softwareFREEk Regular Member

yeah found the same some time ago mate
    thanks for your share :D

12. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Regular Member