Not open for further replies.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Smacking down viruses, Trojans, and ransomware is important, but it's not the only task for an antivirus. Leaving valid programs alone is also a big deal. In the latest test results from Dennis Labs, the very best products balanced both of these tasks.

Dennis Technology Labs take these tactics into account when testing antivirus software with a test system that ensures each product gets hit by precisely the same attack. It's meant to be as close as you can come to a real user's experience.

Every day for two months, the researchers select newly-discovered malicious sites and use a capture/replay system to present each of ten antivirus products with the exact same scenario. The number of products is low because this test is seriously labor-intensive. After two months of testing, they collect and analyze the results to produce a quarterly report.

Nine products remain the same from quarter to quarter (though Webroot replacesBitdefender starting this quarter). The tenth slot goes to a rotating guest product. For the first quarter of 2015, Panda Free Antivirus was the guest.

Scoring Protection
The best antivirus protection stops the attack before it ever reaches your computer—this kind of complete defense earns three points. If the malware launches but then gets detected and cleaned up, that's still worth a point. And if the cleanup is complete, with no dangerous traces left, that's worth another point. A product that fails to detect the malware, or lets it damage the test system, loses five points. With 100 samples, the possible scores range from 300 to minus 500.

Final certification ratings incorporate both the detection test and a separate very detailed test that examines how successfully the antivirus products refrain from blocking or warning about valid programs. The false positives test takes into account each sample's prevalence and also distinguishes degrees of bad behavior. Wiping out a valid program and reporting it as malware is worse than asking the user whether to block or allow it, for example. For full details, see the Dennis Technology Labs website.

Certification Levels
Depending on their performance in the two halves of this test, products can earn certification at five levels: AAA, AA, A, B, or C. Panda squeaked by with C-level certification. Kaspersky, Norton, ESET, Avast, and Trend Micro managed AAA. Of all the products tested, only Microsoft didn't earn at least a C.

Webroot hasn't been officially included before, but in a test commissioned last year it took AAA certification. It is worth noting that Webroot's handling of new, unknown malware differs from most. If a process isn't recognized as good or bad, Webroot journals all its actions and submits them for cloud analysis. Later, if this analysis reveals the process is malicious, Webroot uses the journal to reverse everything the process did. Alas, at the last minute Dennis Labs researchers determined they hadn't fully accounted for this unusual detection style in the current test, so Webroot's results had to be pulled.

As always, I salute the researchers that perform these onerous tests in order to help consumers determine just which antivirus is the most effective. I only wish this particular test could include more of the popular antivirus utilities.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I think this form of testing better reflects the true performance of an AV. It good to see Norton doing well as this form of testing better shows real world every day usage. :)

Reactions: LabZero
H

hjlbx

I am not slighting Dennis Technology Labs, but it is still only a detection via signature\file rating -false negative\positive - test.

Protection of the system once malware gets onto it and is active is not evaluated...

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Panda is PC Mag's pick for free AV, Dennis Labs thinks it stinks. Try it for yourself, don't listen to these so-called labs. Check the results on our own Malware Hub, too.

Reactions: FlimFlam

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well in consecutive years, Norton manage to got good ratings in Dennis Technology Labs which contrary on other test; and signatures (Auto-Protect) is at mediocre stage and rely on cloud which we all know this.

It makes the test very identical already:

AV-Test: Usually Kaspersky, Avira and Bitdefender top.
AV-Comparitives: Kaspersky, Avira and Bitdefender are among the top however FP makes the ratings change.
Dennis Technology Labs: Since Avira and Bitdefender are not included therefore among top are Norton, Kaspersky, Avast and others.

Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Nine products remain the same from quarter to quarter (though Webroot replacesBitdefender starting this quarter). The tenth slot goes to a rotating guest product. For the first quarter of 2015, Panda Free Antivirus was the guest.

The more testing, the better. But only testing 10 AVs and not having Bitdefender as a permanent test subject? :rolleyes:

Webroot hasn't been officially included before, but in a test commissioned last year it took AAA certification. It is worth noting that Webroot's handling of new, unknown malware differs from most. If a process isn't recognized as good or bad, Webroot journals all its actions and submits them for cloud analysis. Later, if this analysis reveals the process is malicious, Webroot uses the journal to reverse everything the process did. Alas, at the last minute Dennis Labs researchers determined they hadn't fully accounted for this unusual detection style in the current test, so Webroot's results had to be pulled.

Well, why didn't they take care to fully account for this unusual detection style of Webroot in the current test? It's hardly brand new or a secret. :(

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
These are not tests. I'm waiting for the day when one will do vulnerability testing.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I truly believe Kaspersky is by far the best antivirus software one can buy, it offers innovative protection capabilities/modules that no other AV company comes close to. Whether or not these tests are valid, I cannot say, I do not believe any of us can say. They may indeed be biased towards a select few, they may not. Bare in mind Norton a few years ago was a terrible antivirus, now we see them doing extremely well, the like of Melih, who stir up ransom rumors does not help the matter, when, may be, in reality Comodo in a contrivance (like an unbelievable story) would not do as well as Melih like to make out.

Reactions: conceptualclarity
H

hjlbx

I think if all the top AV were tested hard, then most would fail - maybe miserably so - in one way or another. Remember, none of the home AV are certified anti-NSA level security solutions. All home AVs are really meant for typical use with reasonable surf and download habits.

Firewalls would probably perform best out of all the protection modules. However, AV labs do not target specific modules - like Kaspersky's System Watcher or Webroot's Rollback - in testing. It's too much trouble... and the vendors probably don't want to pay all the extra $ needed to have such features fully tested.

Keyloggers, to me, remain the great unknown since most AVs state they can detect them, but testing over the years repeatedly shows they do a rather poor job at it.

For the money, Kaspersky is one of the best values in terms of features and protections.

Comodo - hate it, love it or indifferent - is a solid, respectable freeware alternative. Used at a high level it will do a good job - but that has much more to do with the user's knowledge and experience than Comodo itself. One of Comodo's great advantages is that it is highly configurable... but the same can be said of ESET or Kaspersky.

Virtualization is a crock... as an infected virtual session behaves the same as if it were on the physical system. Plus virtualization doesn't tell the user what any malwares are doing on the system. It creates a false sense of security... but it is useful for evaluation and inspection. I'm ambivalent about light virtualization. I see its utility, but in reality it is not secure. IT does keep most infections off the physical system - that is it.

It's not like we have teams of MT members trying to attack other MT members' systems to find out how good the AVs truly are...

Because of the way labs test AVs we only have a vague idea of the absolute quality of any one of them.

H

hjlbx

All Kaspersky needs to do is add a sandbox and 64 bit hooking.

Comodo is good, but it has a ways to go to catch up to Kaspersky.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Kaspersky had a Sandbox feature called Safe Run in the 2012 version, but dropped it in the 2013 version,
due to the fact that not many kaspersky users were actually using the application and it wasn't working
properly on 64bit machines.
All Kaspersky needs to do is add a sandbox and 64 bit hooking.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Keyloggers, to me, remain the great unknown since most AVs state they can detect them, but testing over the years repeatedly shows they do a rather poor job at it.

Thanks. I didn't know that. This contradicts those who say anti-keylogger programs are superfluous. I run a Zemana giveaway, and when it runs out I plan to buy a SpyShelter lifetime license if the trial goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.