Which SSD for 1yr old notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oust_alex

Thread author
Nov 16, 2013
Hello to everybody. I want to upgrade my 1yr old notebook (Intel Core i3-3120M, 4gb DDR3, Intel HM76 Express chipset) with a brand new SSD. I use the notebook for browsing internet, loading some application, multi-tasking maybe some data analysis.

Which one to prefer? And with what NAND TLC or MLC? I want the drive to last for 5years...

HXY

Level 1
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
My advice: Samsung. It doesn't matter TLC or MLC. Just buy the cheapest with guarantee.
My Samsung 830 256GB have had since 2011 and working fine (knock-knock).

If you planning to write more than 100GB per day then do not buy an SSD. But I don't think so.

Edited:
If you can wait a few months then wait until black Friday.
You can buy SSDs for half or less then half price on Amazon and Newegg.

Edited again:
I saw that you are from Greece.
I think there is black Friday in Greece too.
Just order from Media Markt instead.
But unfortunately you can not expect 50-80% discount like in the states.

Do you know TepmanoE? (I don't know how to write down correctly 'cause I don't have Greek keyboard.)
Does it still exist? I've been in Greece in 2001 and this was the biggest electronic store everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack

oust_alex

Thread author
Nov 16, 2013
Hi HXY! Thank you for your reply. Well the truth is that Samsung is really good at SSD but also SanDisk and Toshiba produce really competitive drives. Now in September there will be the SanDisk Ultra II drive which will directly compete 840 Evo (both TLC NAND). And regarding the Toshiba, it has exactly the same performance as 840 Evo with a major difference: it carries eMLC...

Yes I am in Greece. You probably mean Germanos store. Yes it still exists, however its not the boggest electronics store. It focuses on cell phones, tablets and fixed-internet connections.

HXY

Level 1
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
Samsung is the only company who produces the flash memory, the ram, the controller and the software.
All the other companies just buy every part from different companies.

I found the brochure from back in 2001.
Look at this. What a powerful machines. :)

Nota bene: You can pay with drachma and with euro too.

Attachments

• IMG_20140902_180016.jpg
    IMG_20140902_180016.jpg
    843 KB · Views: 390

oust_alex

Thread author
Nov 16, 2013
I was a kid when these were on the market...LOL

Regarding my choice, I will leave it to the forum members through the poll... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.