Question Which VPN service would you recommend? Why?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 55474
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which VPN would you recommend?

• CyberGhost VPN

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Nord VPN

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • F-Secure Freedome VPN

Votes: 29 8.5%
  • ExpressVPN

Votes: 44 12.9%
  • OkayFreedom VPN

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hide My Ass VPN

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • PureVPN

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • TorGuard VPN

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • IPVanish VPN

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 153 44.9%

• Total voters

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
It is relevant for users to know that sometimes mullvad is blacklisted. I reported it, but I also think mullvad should know on their end if their service gets blacklisted. From my side, they have been blacklisted for past 2 days.
Yes, I've noticed this too. Wireguard servers are now blacklisted since the new Wireguard config files were updated and released on Windows, iOS and Android. I had less problems with the old config files and servers, it's sad to be honest but predictable. When you gain such a reputation like Mullvad has for privacy and respecting users rights it's obvious it's going to get abused by bad actors. Sadly, it's life, when something is too good people just abuse it because they think Mullvad won't stop abuse because they are 'privacy warriors'. I don't see them lasting long term in SWE because eventually the law and courts will step in if they are obstructing justice and not getting the info they want.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, I've noticed this too. Wireguard servers are now blacklisted since the new Wireguard config files were updated and released on Windows, iOS and Android. I had less problems with the old config files and servers, it's sad to be honest but predictable. When you gain such a reputation like Mullvad has for privacy and respecting users rights it's obvious it's going to get abused by bad actors. Sadly, it's life, when something is too good people just abuse it because they think Mullvad won't stop abuse because they are 'privacy warriors'. I don't see them lasting long term in SWE because eventually the law and courts will step in if they are obstructing justice and not getting the info they want.
good point & sad. I'm only marginally aware of wireguard deeper tech, but yes, I'm currently connected with wg. somewhat good news, Mullvad not currently blacklisted at least on this wg server, ie, it did get "fixed." And I'll repeat what I said earlier, Mullvad is my goto primary vpn. I use OVPN less but it is faster.

Reactions: franz

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
The only way it will get permanently fixed is if they cycle through clean IP's every day. That's probably not going to happen and basically you will have to expect the servers will be forever blacklisted in the future. E-commerce is the first sector to blacklist because of fraud and bots, since changing to specific based cities in the config files Wireguard servers are being blacklisted. Some servers work, but it won't last long I feel.

The few privacy focused/oriented Vpn's are going to go the way of Tor exit nodes. Blacklisted everywhere and basically used for fraud and crime with a few paranoid privacy folks using it with some cypto bro's using to access exchanges/mixers thrown in. And the saying go's 'Built it and they will come' and they have. Not sure how Mullvad will fix this, I wish they could but beyond cycling new IP's every day or two I'm unsure they can fix it.

Last edited:

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
because I pay them money to use their vpn. I'm generally aware of procedures vendor can take to be removed from blacklist.
This is a known issue for all VPN providers. I know that Mullvad (and probably many other VPN providers) they set an alert for their IPs to see if they are blacklisted or not. But please note that it takes time.

And the main reasons can be as @n8chavez said, getting infected and having a zombie PC that the scammers and hackers use for sending out phishing emails -or- using it for fraud orders.

Actually we are experiencing the second type a lot.

Till Mullvad takes action (considering the number of servers and IPs that they have), it might take some time.

I would recommend that you change your IP by clicking on the refresh button or connect to an another protocol.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
All VPNs worth anything have this though.
That's not true. VPN by Google One does not have any options to customise the connections, only a On/Off toggle. iCloud+ Private Relay isn't a real VPN. Limited information is known about Microsoft Edge VPN.

Reasons behind the Proton VPN Free recommendation for Starters.
+ Unlimited bandwidth
+ Free
+ Cross platform support
+ Split-tunnelling for both Apps and IP ranges
- Medium speed (may be slower than paid options)
- Limited server connections (3 locations)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
As I thought, some Mullvad servers are now blacklisted. Bleepingcomputer even blocks Wireguard connections from certain servers from Mullvad.

Honestly I think it's only going to get a lot worse.

So, you don't recommend that I sign up for Mullvad VPN?

Thanks

Reactions: franz

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016

Thanks
You have the income to buy a subscription based on your posts without hurting your budget. It's up to you honestly, but the blacklisting problems have only started. It's going to end up like Tor with a lot of bad actors using it and ruining it for others, you can only have so much abuse before upstream providers and ISP's shut off the connection. Mullvad are smart people behind the service, and I don't think they are going anywhere, hopefully they will figure it out.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019

Thanks
As a person offering Mullvad I can not tell you that I recommend it or not ... obviously because of the conflict of interest :D ....

But as a user, I would recommend it but you should make some changes in your settings.

If some websites block WireGuard, that means no VPN would work. One solution that has worked for me at least till now is to change the WireGuard port. Not many VPN providers have this option in their app. You can try different ports for WireGuard. And for OpenVPN, you can also see if changing the protocol from UDP to TCP makes any changes. Also the OVPN ports.

From a technical point of view this is the same issue for all VPN providers no matter if it is Mullvad or not.

I am personally using NextDNS private DNS service with my own custom profile. Try to use this method too as some websites/services might had blocked Mullvad DNS servers.
You can find a how to article here:

I hope that I could have helped.

SerialCart

From Serialcart.com
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 27, 2019
VPN hide ip local, but not protect against spywares...
Yes you are right, but privacy and security are two complete different things.

With Mullvad + NextDNS (with NextDNS custom profile) you can however reach a better security level also.

NextDNS includes some known filtering lists of websites which are known to have spyware or those that are identified as phishing websites.

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
As I thought, some Mullvad servers are now blacklisted. Bleepingcomputer even blocks Wireguard connections from certain servers from Mullvad.

Honestly I think it's only going to get a lot worse.
Mullvad (wireguard) was blacklisted here for about 36 hours last week, then cleared, & been ok for past 3 days. I like being able to pay for Mullvad every month $5. Reasonable price, good service. I had a dense brain fog fart last week re this issue, I thought all of Mullvad was blacklisted. My erroneous neurons were firing. All good so far today, so is Mullvad. Hope it does not get worse, Mullvad, (metoo)

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Mullvad (wireguard) was blacklisted here for about 36 hours last week, then cleared, & been ok for past 3 days. I like being able to pay for Mullvad every month $5. Reasonable price, good service. I had a dense brain fog fart last week re this issue, I thought all of Mullvad was blacklisted. My erroneous neurons were firing. All good so far today, so is Mullvad. Hope it does not get worse, Mullvad, (metoo)
Strange but Bleeping computer is still banning some Mullvad Wireguard servers I use. Same with E-commerce, I like to browse with Vpn (I can't even browse with Vpn, blocked and then with non-blocked servers I get captchas) but to buy I disconnect Vpn. Not exactly happy doing that but if I don't won't my order cancelled.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
PIA mace do
Strange but Bleeping computer is still banning some Mullvad Wireguard servers I use. Same with E-commerce, I like to browse with Vpn (I can't even browse with Vpn, blocked and then with non-blocked servers I get captchas) but to buy I disconnect Vpn. Not exactly happy doing that but if I don't won't my order cancelled.
I have PIA, and have no problems. I tried with OpenVPN and WireGuard, it works.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Thread author
HideAway VPN (Firetrust) is what I’m using; I trialed it and bought a 3-device lifetime license when it was recently available on StackSocial. It’s only for Windows at the moment. HideAway has tailored presets to meet your needs, and the speed is excellent. I don’t know how it works, but it connects super fast (other VPNs take a few seconds). Also, Network Connections doesn’t have a HideAway adapter. It didn't leak my IP or DNS when I tested with the BrowserLeaks website. The WebRTC test revealed the IP address. I turned off WebRTC using the advanced settings in Firefox. HideAway is functioning perfectly and serves my purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nevi

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
That's not true. VPN by Google One does not have any options to customise the connections, only a On/Off toggle. iCloud+ Private Relay isn't a real VPN. Limited information is known about Microsoft Edge VPN.

Reasons behind the Proton VPN Free recommendation for Starters.
+ Unlimited bandwidth
+ Free
+ Cross platform support
+ Split-tunnelling for both Apps and IP ranges
- Medium speed (may be slower than paid options)
- Limited server connections (3 locations)

I did say all VPNs worth anything, not all VPNs. Seriously, why in the hell would you use or trust a google vpn? You do know what VPNs are for, right? Users should be limiting their interactions with Google not trusting them more. Also, if you are using a free product.....you are the product being sold. Nothing is free.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.