Why does system restore never work

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
The amount of times ive used it 100% of the time it just doesnt work windows really needs to fix this as its a useless feature of windows which should be fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MalwareT

Did you tried with Windows Repair tool, i think it has Fix sys restore option.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Defragmentation software can delete shadow copies, messing with System Restore and other stuff that uses the VSS. Even Windows' own defragmenter has the same problem, it's about how shadow copies work. So, if you are using a defragmenter, this is probably the cause.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I agree that some times when you really need to restore to a earlier time, it doesn't work.
That's why you need to develop a practice of creating back ups of your OS on regular basis!

Reactions: Jaspion

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
the amount of times ive used it 100% of the time it just doesnt work windows really needs to fix this as its a useless feature of windows which should be fixed
Well @dragonx1983, can u please be more specific with the problem?
With this i want to know which version of Windows OS you are using currently?
Which is the Antivirus/Internet Security that's running on your machine ?
And have you tried Windows System Restore by disabling your Antivirus/Internet Security ?
And have tried Windows System Restore in Safe Mode ?

Reactions: JakeXPMan

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Does System Restore points does not work after the attempted to restore from your selected? Or System Restore itself is not working due to be corrupted?

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
I noticed that happened with Windows XP a lot.Since using Windows 7,that feature never failed me(the few times I needed it...)

As a precaution,whenever you finish maintenance on any PC...Create a Restore Point.Jaspion has a point.....

I

illumination

What is the problem you are using windows restore points to try and fix? As you state above 100% of the time it does not work and you have tried to many times, so what issues are you having that you need to try and restore that many times..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
the amount of times ive used it 100% of the time it just doesnt work windows really needs to fix this as its a useless feature of windows which should be fixed
Works for me. All computers were administrator accounts, running Windows 7 or 8. However, I have found that it's possible that any real-time Antivirus / Security software may conflict with System Restore, or if you use Imaging software which may prevent System Restore from completing it's process.

If you think it's a useless feature, why use it? System Restore is quite old, so Windows Backup should be a better alternate with the resources available.

PS: That's a long sentence to read. o_O

ronaldh

Jan 5, 2015
So what you are saying is that all the times you have tried to use it, it has never worked? What kind of things were you trying to do? A lot of third party software can interfere with system restore, and to be quite honest, it is kind of old/outdated. If you are looking at something that works similar to it, you could look into Rollback Rx. It is like Windows system restore but functions better because it works outside of Windows. There's even a free version of it you can test out if that is what you are looking for.

Reactions: Oxygen and Ink

Ashu Kumar

Level 2
Verified
Oct 6, 2014
All I know that it "Never works" only in the case of newly installed programs (that too it informs us beforehand; "scan for affected programs") and this can be a trivial issue while fixing something major using a system restore ; Other than this, it had always worked for me. :)

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Sometimes the issue can be an installed security program that basically disables the feature. Has the OP tried to run system restore from safe mode?

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
After i install Windows, first thing i do is disabling system restore. Too many flaws with too many variables. Use system imaging software (EaseUS or similar programs) instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.