Guide | How To Why Should I Format My Computer?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Many people format their computer, which means to reinstall Windows, and start fresh with factory settings. This guide is directed at people who don't know why and when to format their computer.

Reason 1: Malware Infection

If your computer is infected by ransomware or highly defend-able malware, it's easier just to format your computer and restore from a backup than plow into days of troubleshooting and trips to the repair shop.

Reason 2: Start Fresh, Start Light

If you have tons of software installed and your computer is bogging down, it's a good idea to grab your disk and reinstall! It's easier to start fresh than you think, install your favorite browser, antivirus (enter your key), and critical programs and you're all set to surf again!

Reason 3: Unbootable System

Some people might encounter an unbootable system which nothing can fix. Formatting your computer would be necessary at that point if Chkdsk and System Repair can't fix it (See my Black Screen guide). The BIOS/Setup Screen should boot, enabling you to reinstall your system. If it still doesn't work/unbootable after formatting, it's a hardware problem, grab a new computer.

Steps To Do Before Formatting Your Computer:

1. Backup critical files, documents, etc.

If you can (No Ransomware/Unbootable System) backup your important files, do it! I would at least backup my homework for next week, history reports I'm working on, and important forms to either a USB drive or something like Dropbox or Google Drive.

2. OEM? You're out of luck

If you bought a computer with Windows preinstalled, you will need to get a windows disk. You probably also can download Windows to a USB drive on another computer. If both options aren't available, you're out of luck :(

Hopefully this helps

Cheers, Chromatinfish :)

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I format my system every 2 months. I like to start Fresh ;) But as I do it frequently I always keep backup of my important files on my Network Storage.

I try many software and in 2 months I fill my system with useless craps. So I again start it fresh and again make it dirty ;)

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

MalwareFire

Level 3
Verified
Aug 10, 2014
I format my system every 2 months. I like to start Fresh ;) But as I do it frequently I always keep backup of my important files on my Network Storage.

I try many software and in 2 months I fill my system with useless craps. So I again start it fresh and again make it dirty ;)
I cant format in 2/2 months man i lose very time

Reactions: vrb93

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

If you bought a computer with Windows preinstalled, you will need to get a windows disk. You probably also can download Windows to a USB drive on another computer. If both options aren't available, you're out of luck :(

I have wondered, ..and this may be somewhat off topic,:oops: are we ethically allowed a provision to copy an additional version of Windows OS (such as ..7 SP 1) onto a separate computer or virtual machine, or are Microsoft rules, unlike antivirus programs, limited to only one device, virtual or otherwise, at a time?o_O
Thanks in advance!;) :D

Last edited:

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
thanks but

i'm sorry i do not understand "start fresh with factory settings" and 2. OEM? You're out of luck

you mean if i reinstall from my restore partition i'm not starting fresh with factory settings ?

or if i use Microsoft built in and/or imaging software for the hard drive i cant reininstall ?

also i made the dvd's for my pc i can't use those ?

i also have the usb one from with in Windows 8.1

next i got my Windows 8 Key and a iso

:)

James

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014

Do you play games? You'll know how hard it is to re-download them...

Reactions: MalwareFire

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Ever since I bought my laptop,I have never needed to format.
I have been securing it since the beginning(even more since I found MT)...If it croaks,it's gonna be because of hardware issues.

That said....I'm a fan of the "F11" methods.I call it the Bazooka Blow Up or taking the "Hammer" to it.I feel I have no time to deal with insane infections(Although,I want and love to learn for when the event arises(Like a PC or server that for any reason,cannot be formatted...I have found some of those cases lately)

Nice list,overall.

In this day and age,you must know someone that works pretty closely with computers.Turn to them when you need a copy of any version of Windows...;)

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Last time I did a reinstall was when Windows was broken beyond repair after testing one too many malwares.

it's easier just to format your computer and restore from a backup than plow into days of troubleshooting and trips to the repair shop.

No problemo, I'm the tech, won't be charging myself ;)

Yes starting fresh sometimes is the better solution. Is it just me, making PC clean and throw lot of malware and try lots of junk, crap and what have you (@Anupam can relate). Anyway, no one to blame but me for forgetting to freeze the system prior to testing. Nasties specilly those of the patching virus family can wreck havoc to your system.

(See my Black Screen guide)

Okay will check this one

After a CHKDSK and failed Startup Repair, I'll do a Manual System Restore is possible, then try my luck with Tweaking AIO.

It is indeed so hard to find Portable games.

Can't find one? convert them.

Reactions: Anupam

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For OEM's yes you may out of luck since you cannot have Windows ISO like 7/8/8.1 if the license has detected as not retail key version, but manufacturers deployed their recovery maker tool which all you need is to follow the requirements.

Reactions: LabZero
L

LabZero

I do not I format the PC from years . I have some OS images and use those . In 15 minutes everything is operating . For maximum security ( see ransomware ) some images are on external HDD.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.