• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I read on reddit
Wi-Fi Sense -

"What it is: Wifi-sharing via your private wifi passphrase, shared to anyone that is your friend on facebook, skype, or anyone you have added in your address book.

Why you should disable it/remove it: beside the obvious security risks in making your personal home wifi open to anyone, your ISP may consider this a breach of TOS and then you in a lot more trouble.

How: open the Start menu and head to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Manage Wi-Fi settings. In here, you basically want to disable every option you see, as well as tell Windows 10 to forget any Wi-Fi networks you’ve signed into in the past.

you also need to dive into your actual router’s settings and give your network a new name with “_optout” at the end. For example, a network called “WiFiSenseUgh_optout” wouldn’t be stored by Wi-Fi Sense, while one that’s just called “WiFiSenseUgh” would be usable with Microsoft’s sharing feature".

So if I have disabled Wi-Fi Sense options then too I have to add "_optout" at the end of my network name otherwise it will be shared?

Reactions: Logethica
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Ok it seems if network is not contact shared, etc... & options are disabled then no need to add _optout.

Reactions: Logethica
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.