App Review WinAntiRansom Plus Review (by Britec09)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Whether the test was done properly or not, Britec09's advice (and according to him, his main objective) is still applicable. Never put your whole trust to a single security program.

Let's assume that WAR was installed but wasn't working properly, then you're definitely doomed against ransomware. I wonder how many personal PCs out there that have broken security programs (i.e. security softwares are installed but not working as expected).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
By analyzing its concept of the video, we cannot really determine if WAR definitely failed it that time. However its up to the user configuration to make it effective + ransomware/malware behavior protection needs time to make it perfect from numerous pattern.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
My issue with B's video was the samples used that indicated bypass. I have loads of CTBlocker and all sorts of Tesla variants and this does not happen. And as neither CTB or Tesla are being actively produced lately, and even if they were would still work by the same mechanism I can't understand how this could be valid.

I'm not above being proved wrong and I certainly don't dislike breach videos, but this one must be questioned especially as B has ignored numerous PM's from me discussing this.

N

Noxx

^ WAR's website says explicitly that without a paid liscense no prot is provided. Doesn't he read? If he's honest, he'd take down his first video, because it's deceiving potential customers. =p

Reactions: Der.Reisende

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
^ WAR's website says explicitly that without a paid liscense no prot is provided. Doesn't he read? If he's honest, he'd take down his first video, because it's deceiving potential customers. =p
He used the trial. Assuming it's not a bug in the trial and it's like you say then what use does the trial have if not for testing. See the pretty images?

N

Noxx

He used the trial. Assuming it's not a bug in the trial and it's like you say then what use does the trial have if not for testing. See the pretty images?

I'm not sure if the WAR trial works at full potential, but if it doesn't, I see no reason even having a trial.

N

Noxx

Exactly. I bet it's a bug and i can't blame the tester for it.

Not really, but I still wouldn't keep the video up if it came to light that the program wasn't functioning properly (if indeed that was the case at all).

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I was testing free trial and it is a big fail.
I don't know what is the point of free trial if doesn't work like it should.

N

Noxx

I don't think anyone thinks it's intentional. If indeed it's a bug, WAR needs to work on that. But the fact that that B's results have yet to be re-produced by any tester for the ransomware varients in question... I don't see the logic in keeping up the first video, because it just makes WAR look weak, and it most certainly is not.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I don't think anyone thinks it's intentional. If indeed it's a bug, WAR needs to work on that. But the fact that that B's results have yet to be re-produced by any tester for the ransomware varients in question... I don't see the logic in keeping up the first video, because it just makes WAR look weak, and it most certainly is not.
I don't see war devs rushing to fix the bug either.
Anw in his last video he said he will redo the test now that he has a license and if results don't match he will bin the video.

R

Ray Redbad

He is done the new video and WAR work like it should.He tested licensed version.
The other video was a licensed version also.

So the trial and license have different result?
No trial version was ever tested.

The contentious Windows 7 test posted above on May 30 used a license Britec09 "had to" purchase. Apparently he wasn't/isn't aware there is a trial version. (An FYI for the discussion newcomer: there is no free version.)

There might be a bug, but it ain't with WinAntiRansom. :cool:

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.