Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Windows 10 Will be a Free Upgrade (Kind of)

Good news for all Windows users. Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users.

If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free in the first year of Windows 10 launch. In other words, we can say that almost all Windows users will be able to update to Windows 10 absolutely free.

Also once a computer device is upgraded to Windows 10, it'll be able to receive all future feature updates at no additional charges.

Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will work like an Internet service and new features will be added immediately when they are ready without waiting for the next major release of Windows.

Spartan: New Web Browser in Windows 10

Microsoft also talked about a brand new web browser "Spartan" present in Windows 10. Currently its under development and will be a part of Windows 10 operating system.

This new web browser has been developed for better compatibility with modern websites, reliability and performance. It'll feature a fresh and minimal user interface matching with Windows 10 Modern (aka Metro) UI.

Windows_10_Spartan_Web_Browser.png

Spartan will come with many advanced features such as ability to annotate by keyboard or pen directly on websites, Reading view to have a distraction free view of the articles in a simplified layout and Cortana integration for finding and doing things faster on web.

New Continuum Mode in Windows 10

You might remember the hidden "Continuum Mode" present in the current Windows 10 preview build. We shared information about this secret feature in our exclusive Windows 10 review topic.

Windows_10_Continuum_Mode.png

Microsoft also talked about Continuum Mode which will allow Windows 10 to switch easily between keyboard/mouse and touch/tablet interface once it detects the transition. It'll be a great feature for 2-in-1 devices such as hybrid PCs.

Microsoft Office and Other Universal Apps in Windows 10

Microsoft is working on universal Office apps which will provide touch-first experience across all Windows 10 devices such as computers, tablets and mobile phones.

These new Office apps will include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook.

The next Microsoft Office suite for Desktop is also under development.

Windows 10 will also come with many other universal apps such as Photos, Videos, Music, Maps, People, Messaging, Mail and Calendar. These built-in apps will have updated design that will look and feel same across all devices.

New Windows 10 Preview Build for Download Next Week

A new preview build of Windows 10 featuring almost all above mentioned features will become available for download next week. It'll be released free to public and people who are usingWindows 10 Technical Preview build in their computers, will be able to install this new testing build.

This new Windows 10 January Preview build will feature many new features such as Cortana (Microsoft's personal digital assistant), new apps, Continuum mode, new Notification (Action) Center, etc.

The new Windows 10 build will be available in 25 more languages.

The build number of upcoming Windows 10 Preview might be 9924 or 9926.

So get ready to download and test new Windows 10 preview build in next week...
askVG

D

Deleted member 2913

What is the system requirement for Windows 10?
I have Windows 7 64.
4GB RAM
500GB HardDisk
Hope it is fit for Windows 10.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I have Windows 7 64.
4GB RAM
500GB HardDisk
If you have hardware that is working fine with Windows 7, then it will work with Windows 10 also ;)

D

Deleted member 2913

So if within the first year one upgrades to Windows 10 then Windows 10 with updates will be free till support ends for Windows 10?
And if one upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 & later want to reinstall, can one download & install Win 10?
And what about the product key to activate the reinstall?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So if within the first year one upgrades to Windows 10 then Windows 10 with updates will be free till support ends for Windows 10?
And if one upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 & later want to reinstall, can one download & install Win 10?
And what about the product key to activate the reinstall?

Once you upgraded before the one year deadline expires then the support will be LIFETIME.

Regarding on the situation where you wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 but already expired within 1 year free offer then expect to purchase license instead.

Reactions: frogboy

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will work like an Internet service and new features will be added immediately when they are ready without waiting for the next major release of Windows.

This is great :)

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Microsoft is being quite aggressive on their approach.That's good....

I will certainly update my machine to Win10 x64 when that time arrives.Once that's done,I'll image it in case something becomes fishy with the license....

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
I have Windows 7 64.
4GB RAM
500GB HardDisk

You will get better performance running windows 8.1 or 10 because system requirement is slightly lower than windows 7

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
I was actually want to post comment yesterday, but I was very sleepy :confused:
This is a good news, finally! a free upgrade from windows 7! good job microsoft :rolleyes:;)
Thanks for informing this to us Bora, I have a question though..once its released to public, how to upgrade it? through windows update panel? I haven't had any experience with this "Upgrading OS" so I have no clue :eek:

D

Deleted member 2913

So I upgrade within 1 year & get free lifetime licence.
What if after 1 year for some reasons I want to do reinstall. Can I reinstall i.e format & install Win 10? How will I activate it?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
For Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, the upgrade will be available through Windows Update. I will do a backup image right after upgrade to Windows 10, for just in case. If you want to reinstall Windows 10 it would be possible probably with Refresh or Reset settings, really dunno what if you want to do a clean install...

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
I tried Technical preview and liked it. Yes it was slow and little crappy experience in VBox but nevertheless I liked it. I'm waiting to see consumer preview with upgrades from users recommendations and I think it will be better and better right through to final release. (Did I just wrote that Win is good, and I liked it, something is seriously wrong. :D :p )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.