Windows 10 Pro vs Enterprise security

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Hi all,

After using various AV/Security Suites for few years, I think I prefer to go back to the basics: hardening.
Thinking to getting the Windows 10 Pro to replace my Home, due to Bitlocker and Group Policy.

Or should I aim for Enterprise version instead? Though I dunno if an ultrabook is able to cope lol...

Any advice if it is worthy? Probably I think I wouldn't want to use any other security suites anymore (other than extensions / Adguard??)

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Windows 10 Pro
This will suffice...No real need for Enterprise unless you must have the extra security features...For a home user... probably not. ;)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The Enterprise security features are complicated, and it is hard to find good instructions. And some of the features cost $$$$.
So you have to be pretty brave to take it on.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Group policy can harden Windows 10 plenty, without bloat. It just isn't user friendly. You can configure some ASR rules via gpedit.msc or use something like Hard_Configurator or NVT SysHardener or OSArmor UIs to do the heavy lifting for you in Home Windows. If you configure these UIs and/or gpedit.msc properly, you would have virtually no need for AppLocker.

BitLocker, do you really need it in your environment? You can send your data to a cloud storage or to your own offline storage for no cost. The tradeoff: you must handle your data manually and spend some calories getting out of the chair, maybe untangling some cables and wires.

Best thing I did was to recycle some cheap 5400 rpm HDDs into enclosed offline storage. :love:

Question for anyone: does the Enterprise license have to be renewed? Do you have to pay a yearly fee of some kind? By the way, In Windows 2004 Insider build, "Windows" Defender changes to "Microsoft" Defender in the Group Policy console under Administrative Templates. Just so ya know.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Group policy can harden Windows 10 plenty, without bloat. It just isn't user friendly. You can configure some ASR rules via gpedit.msc or use something like Hard_Configurator or NVT SysHardener or OSArmor UIs to do the heavy lifting for you in Home Windows. If you configure these UIs and/or gpedit.msc properly, you would have virtually no need for AppLocker.

BitLocker, do you really need it in your environment? You can send your data to a cloud storage or to your own offline storage for no cost. The tradeoff: you must handle your data manually and spend some calories getting out of the chair, maybe untangling some cables and wires.

Best thing I did was to recycle some cheap 5400 rpm HDDs into enclosed offline storage. :love:

Question for anyone: does the Enterprise license have to be renewed? Do you have to pay a yearly fee of some kind? By the way, In Windows 2004 Insider build, "Windows" Defender changes to "Microsoft" Defender in the Group Policy console under Administrative Templates. Just so ya know.
The Enterprise license is just like the Home or Pro license. You pay once. If your conscience lets you, you can pick one up on ebay for a few dollars. If you buy an Enterprise license and feed it into your machine and thereby upgrade to Enterprise, you won't even notice a difference. You need to dig around to find extra features.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Isn't that Appguard that we used to use it previously?
Not at all. there is some common stuff but they arent comparable.
@Andy Ful Hard_Configurator is based on Windows Applocker and SRP but just easier to use for people not accustomed to them .
As i told earlier, go with Pro edition and learn how to use group policy and H_C. it is already more than enough on your plate.
Enterprise is another beast not suited for classic home users.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
@Andy Ful Hard_Configurator is based on Windows Applocker and SRP but just easier to use for people not accustomed to them .
As i told earlier, go with Pro edition and learn how to use group policy and H_C. it is already more than enough on your plate.
Thanks! I just got Pro Edition and installed the H_C too. Now in the midst of tweaking them and still trying to getting hang of them. Hmm.. seems pro version have a bunch of great security features that could save alot of cost from buying security suites LOL...

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Agreed, I learned the hard way ,definitely not for me, It blocked programs I use and I did not have the knowledge to make exceptions,went back to pro version, I now acknowledge I an a Noob

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Thanks! I just got Pro Edition and installed the H_C too. Now in the midst of tweaking them and still trying to getting hang of them.
Good, this is where you really start to learn.

Hmm.. seems pro version have a bunch of great security features that could save alot of cost from buying security suites LOL...
Indeed, since i learned all the possibilities Windows Pro/Ent offers, i look with a certain amusement (if not disdain, i may say) most of the security softs (even those i love to use, seems boring now to me).
But i dont forget than Windows built-in features aren't invincible, so one thing is sure to work is skills and safe behaviors

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I see.. thought i don't have to get any extension or adguard installed; just relying purely on WD+WF and H_C to play around.
ublock/adguard are adblockers originally, so if you plan to block ads (which i highly recommend), one of them should be used

Anyway I just realised Pro version have sandbox too? Seems my sandboxie can be "thrown" away HAHA!!
yes but simpler with less functions than Sandboxie because it is supposed to be used only to test programs.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
ublock/adguard are adblockers originally, so if you plan to block ads (which i highly recommend), one of them should be used

yes but simpler with less functions than Sandboxie because it is supposed to be used only to test programs.

Got it! thanks!

Currently tweaking group policy. Abit tough but worth it. Kinda felt sad to myself for being paying premium on security suites previously for years when i can just get it for free in windows defender alone (of course with tweaking). :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.