Troubleshoot Windows 7 taking longer than expected to boot on new PC

S

SkyJP

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
As above
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Many startup applications have been disabled.
Only "Google Drive", "Bluetooth LE Services Control Program" and "Intel PROSet/Wireless Bluetooth" run on boot. Kaspersky 2015 is on the new PC as well, but is set to "Concede resources to OS".

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader
S

SkyJP

Thread author
Uninstalled Kaspersky, but boot time still took approx 4 minutes in two instances.

For "boot time", I mean the time it takes to boot into windows and login so all applications are loaded and the desktop is visible.

When I log in, I encounter a black screen (with the cursor visible) and it stays like this for a while (a minute or two) and this never happened before. I assume this is what is causing the slow boot time.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
There are many possibilities:

1) Try to defrag HDD so to organize all the fragments for better optimization of performance.
2) Give a shot for Readyboost although if you have really enough RAM and other specification then it should not be an issue.

Final resort is to conduct a fresh installation and observe those possible longer boot times as you install software.

Upvote 0
S

SkyJP

Thread author
Hard drive is nearly 2 months old.

These are the services and programs currently running (on boot):
upload_2015-5-25_13-32-55.pngupload_2015-5-25_13-33-42.png

Glanced over at Auslogics Disk Defrag which nearly killed my eyes. Should I do a prefetch layout defrag....?
upload_2015-5-25_13-35-13.png

Upvote 0

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

View attachment 58665View attachment 58666

Glanced over at Auslogics Disk Defrag which nearly killed my eyes. Should I do a prefetch layout defrag....?
View attachment 58667
Not sure about the servives and weather you need BT running?
As for defragmenting, I would do a "Space Defrag" first to consolidate all that free space that you have shown in the SS!:)

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014

View attachment 58665View attachment 58666

View attachment 58667

You probably running more stuff in startup coz i see in startup screenshot after bittorrent there is a lot of stuff & u don't scroll down. If u don't use bluetooth or use less then disable all in startup what u posted in screenshot coz u don't need bittorrent, adobe reader & specially google chrome to run at startup. There a lots of junk service running at startup. U can set some straup service like adobe to run automatic delayed at startup. Do u have enable any theme ? run command prompt with administrator right & run scf/scannow command.Also u can scan ur PC like ESET online scanner for malware to sure there is no infections running at startup.

Upvote 0
S

SkyJP

Thread author
Nothing else runs at startup. Everything else is disabled or invalid entries. Now, only Google Drive and Spotify (Web Helper) run at boot.

A lot of the services do not run at boot either (they are most set to 'manual').

Upvote 0

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Nothing else runs at startup. Everything else is disabled or invalid entries. Now, only Google Drive and Spotify (Web Helper) run at boot.

A lot of the services do not run at boot either (they are most set to 'manual').
Can we assume that you have not disabled any "critical" system services that need to run for the operating system to run efficiently?

Upvote 0
S

SkyJP

Thread author
These are the only ones that are disabled (I don't think I've messed around with the services recently though).
upload_2015-5-25_14-12-27.png

Upvote 0
S

SkyJP

Thread author
Boot took about 3 minutes, with nothing selected in msconfig. The only I can see running on startup are probably BatteryBar, ELAN Touchpad (for multi gestures) and Canon IJ Network Scanner Tool EX (can't really get rid of it but this was the first things I installed as it's from my printer).

Just completed sfc /scannow and said 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" and placed a CBS.log file....

Upvote 0

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Boot took about 3 minutes, with nothing selected in msconfig. The only I can see running on startup are probably BatteryBar, ELAN Touchpad (for multi gestures) and Canon IJ Network Scanner Tool EX (can't really get rid of it but this was the first things I installed as it's from my printer).

Just completed sfc /scannow and said 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" and placed a CBS.log file....
Open cmd with admin priviliges and type:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Than reboot!:)

Upvote 0
S

SkyJP

Thread author
Came up with:

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Error: 18

An error occurred while loading DISM. The DISM tool may be corrupt.
Try reinstalling DISM.

C:\Windows\system32>

Reactions: Venustus
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.