App Review Windows Defender Review - Default Protection good enough?

• Thread starter MalwareBlockerYT
  • Start date
It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender is very good, unless your actions involve downloading and running malware. Running WD with Unchecky can help reduce the risk is installing Potentially Unwanted Applications.

For the average user, with some good advice, Windows Defender can be enough to protect a Windows 10 PC.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Windows Defender is very good, unless your actions involve downloading and running malware. Running WD with Unchecky can help reduce the risk is installing Potentially Unwanted Applications.

For the average user, with some good advice, Windows Defender can be enough to protect a Windows 10 PC.
For the average user yes it can be fine, but even if that average user downloads a Ransomware file they will probably not be protected. There are much better Free Alternatives which are still Free & better for the average user.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Good review. Edge is well known to miss phishing links
Thanks & it definitely seems to miss phishing links.
Windows Defender can help to protect a system in effective way but nothing prevents you to add VS or ZAL to improve security.
I used WD+ZAL for a long time without any problems.
It provides basic protection for sure & with another security application it could provide pretty decent protection but on it's own it isn't an option I would recommend.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
A very stereotypical comment.

Have you used Windows Defender on Windows 10 Anniversary Update, for at least 6 months? If you ran into malware, How did you do it and Why did you do that? :)
Honestly, WD protected my shared system three times successfully. One from tesla 2.0 malware campaign on 30th January 2015. The second one from a locky and the third one from a worm. I can't trust running only this on a system used by some beginners, so I added VoodooShield free after these attacks were blocked

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
Windows Defender can help to protect a system in effective way but nothing prevents you to add VS or ZAL to improve security.
I use WD+ZAL for a long time without any problems.
I use WD+ZAM. I haven't had any malware or viruses for a very long time. I sometimes run trials of other antivirus from time to time to check nothing is hiding but have always got clean results. I think the most effective AV and anti-malware though is your brain. If something is suspect, dont download or run it, and dont go to sites that are dubious.

...and always keep a backup of your disk.

W

Wave

Thread author
nice review :)

believe it or not, I love the WD GUI :D no idea why

For the average user yes it can be fine, but even if that average user downloads a Ransomware file they will probably not be protected. There are much better Free Alternatives which are still Free & better for the average user.
That's the thing... The user shouldn't be aimlessly downloading programs they are unsure of and trying to run them. They should only download when they know the download is safe/trusted and not run anything they download without proper research checks (online engine scans, verifying who developed it and checking reviews, etc.).

If you bump into a program with no company information/no code signing authentication which is small in size and you didn't do absolutely any checks to make sure the program was actually known/genuine (even a google search and a damn VT scan would be beneficial) and you run it, then how can you blame your security product if it misses it? The only person at fault would be yourself for making such a dumb decision

There's a pattern with the samples in the MHUB regularly and that pattern is that each sample pretty much appears suspicious on its own

people need to realize that AV software is not a replacement for using their own brains.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Thank you for the review. May I ask what would have happened if you hadn't excluded your ransomware folder and the sample folder?
No problem, thanks for watching :) If I hadn't excluded the folders then it was possible that Windows Defender could have started cleaning the folder with Real Time Protection.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How does the defender work? With strong signatures? He doesn't have a behaviour blocker or?
Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 and 10 is the baseline Antivirus for Windows - it's used by many independent testing sites as a minimum for the security industry.

Dynamic signatures, Cloud-based, Offline boot-time scanning, Network Inspection protection etc.
Windows Defender in Windows 10 (Windows 10)

Doesn't apply to Home and Pro, but Windows 10 Enterprise has enhanced Windows Defender protection for enterprise networks, such as Windows Defender ATP. Not sure, but so is Block at First Sight. (?)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
For many MalwareTips members, WD + UAC + SmartScreen will be irritating. They like to frequently install/try applications (sometimes cracks too). They do not actually want to spend time investigating which application is safe. They avoid to use Universal Applications from Windows Store. They do not like to change habits (from Windows 7) even in Window 10. And, finally, they have the right to do all the above.
The best protection is using something well known, well understood, and well suited to user's habits.
I liked very much the honesty of TheMalwareMaster :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.