Question YouTube still showing ads with uBlock Origin enabled? Here is a fix!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 93475

I have not had any issues with YouTube blocking my AD-blockers am i just lucky? I use Ublock and Malwarebytes browser guard as well as Malwarebytes privacy which is mullvad VPN.
Screenshot_61.png

It's random but you may encounter it at any time. Now the solution he mentioned @CyberTech works

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021

@Captain Holly Things were completely calm for more than a week until it started appearing today. It appears to be random but more aggressive than previous windows​

Here is the same problem..

I don't know what it is. It seems to affect different people, different browsers using different ad blockers at random. Maybe google will keep this up and it will be a fight between the ad blocker/extension authors and google itself, until one or the other decides they have had enough. I use Ublock with the Malwarebytes Browser Guard in Firefox, all on default settings. Maybe I have just been lucky, I tried a test and turned off Ublock a few days ago, saw a lot of ads just when trying to watch a simple music video on the regular Youtube. I have not cleared anything from the Ublock or FF cache and have not restarted FF either. I use the free Youtube Music a lot too and have yet to see the ad blocker pop up in there. I am listening to the new Dokken album right now in YT Music and have not seen the first ad blocker pop up. Who knows what the logic is with this. Google may get us all sooner or later or the ad blockers may win the fight.

C.H.

F

ForgottenSeer 93475

I don't know what it is. It seems to affect different people, different browsers using different ad blockers at random. Maybe google will keep this up and it will be a fight between the ad blocker/extension authors and google itself, until one or the other decides they have had enough. I use Ublock with the Malwarebytes Browser Guard in Firefox, all on default settings. Maybe I have just been lucky, I tried a test and turned off Ublock a few days ago, saw a lot of ads just when trying to watch a simple music video on the regular Youtube. I have not cleared anything from the Ublock or FF cache and have not restarted FF either. I use the free Youtube Music a lot too and have yet to see the ad blocker pop up in there. I am listening to the new Dokken album right now in YT Music and have not seen the first ad blocker pop up. Who knows what the logic is with this. Google may get us all sooner or later or the ad blockers may win the fight.

C.H.
No one will be able to afford the ads and many will not be able to pay money to Google. They have put themselves in a real problem. They are risking the user base that they have accumulated over the past years, and if a good alternative appears, they will be in even bigger trouble.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
No one will be able to afford the ads and many will not be able to pay money to Google. They have put themselves in a real problem. They are risking the user base that they have accumulated over the past years, and if a good alternative appears, they will be in even bigger trouble.
To be honest i hope a developer does create a better alternative i hate to sound ruthless but it's going to be fun to watch them go down.

nicolaasjan

Level 3
May 29, 2023
Privacy advocate challenges YouTube's ad blocking detection
Last week, privacy advocate (and very occasional Reg columnist) Alexander Hanff filed a complaint with the Irish Data Protection Commission (DPC) decrying YouTube's deployment of JavaScript code to detect the use of ad blocking extensions by website visitors.
On October 16, according to the Internet Archives' Wayback Machine, Google published a support page declaring that "When you block YouTube ads, you violate YouTube's Terms of Service."
"If you use ad blockers," it continues, "we'll ask you to allow ads on YouTube or sign up for YouTube Premium. If you continue to use ad blockers, we may block your video playback."

YouTube's Terms of Service do not explicitly disallow ad blocking extensions, which remain legal in the US [PDF], in Germany, and elsewhere. But the language says users may not "circumvent, disable, fraudulently engage with, or otherwise interfere with any part of the Service" – which probably includes the ads.

YouTube's open hostility to ad blockers coincides with the recent trial deployment of a popup notice presented to web users who visit the site with an ad-blocking extension in their browser – messaging tested on a limited audience at least as far back as May.
In order to present that popup YouTube needs to run a script, changed at least twice a day, to detect blocking efforts. And that script, Hanff believes, violates the EU's ePrivacy Directive – because YouTube did not first ask for explicit consent to conduct such browser interrogation.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Nice find, @nicolaasjan with good explanation. Alexander Hanff makes a strong case against the current implementation of the Youtube script placed on the user's device.

IMO the workaround is that the script is preceeded by a pop-up in which you have to agree with the TOS of Youtube explicitely before using it. When you agree with the TOS you will get a pass token, which that anti-adblock script needs to allow access. This will make it a technically nessecary script. When you log-in to youtube, you won't see this TOS-agreement notice, because you will implicitely agree with the TOS.

Goat path escape for Google said:
"If a script or other digital technology is strictly necessary (technically required to deliver the requested service) then it is exempt from the consent requirements and as such would pose no issue to publishers engaging in legitimate activities which respect fundamental rights under the Charter.

Long story short, Hanff probably wins this complaint, but Google will adapt the implementation quickly after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.