Zanzibari's Second setup

S

starchild76

hello and welcome to mt! first of all you should definately turn on uac , will help you out a lot in protecting your pc. you could also ad more plugins to chrome ensuring your privacy , speed up browsing and also for security reasons obviously : https everywhere , adblock , bitdefender traficlight. do you use a third party firewall? if not you can use comodo firewall or online armor , both free. do you use malwarebytes anti malware pro as realtime protection? you do know this is not a fullfledge av and that you need an av to run alongside of it : avast , avg , 360 internet security are good choices :)
you couls also use win 8.1 built in security ( defender , uac , win firewall ) uses virtually no recources and does interfere / crash your operating system or make it instable.

Reactions: silversurfer

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
User Account Control settings: Enable UAC
Real-Time Protection: use any proper antivirus of your choice...
On-Demand Scanner: use Hitman Pro or Emsisoft Emergency Kit both are portable

Last edited:
S

starchild76

windows firewall control can be a good choice to , set to medium protection :)

Reactions: NSG001

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
User Account Control settings: Enable UAC
Real-Time Protection: use any proper antivirus of your choice...
On-Demand Scanner: install and use Hitman Pro or Emsisoft Emergency Kit both are portable
By 'portable', Silversurfer means they can be run on Mac, Linux and Windows. You don't need to download an additional file. ;)

I also recommend the following add-ons:
MyWOT. (Highly recommended)
Adblock/UBlock (Strongly recommended)
Click and Clean. (recommended)
Lastpass (highly recommended)

If you have the money, you should buy Emsisoft Anti-Malware (instead of Avast or AVG. Never use two antiviruses unless you know what you're doing)

Reactions: silversurfer
S

starchild76

if you do want to play with more than one av on your machine and do the most crazy and imagionable configs known to mankind and dare every aspect of your brain , do ask our übertweaker @Umbra Polaris for advice : notorious for his famous umbra total security :p

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
UAC(Enabled),Defender,windows Firewall & smartscreen would be a good start as long as you exercise some common sense while online and what you click on. Thanks for sharing your config :)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
What was your last known malware infection ?
I'm honestly not surprised that you were infected if you're running that setup.
You're lacking : an Antivirus, an enabled UAC, a back-up solution and protection/privacy browser add-ons such as HTTPSEverywhere, Ghostery, Web of Trust (WOT), NoScript, etc.

Reactions: Warrior

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
There's honestly tons of Antiviruses I would use before relying on a Norton product.
Hi ! I'm sure I need to slow down my replies as this is just my first day here on this forum,but I'm finding so many things that I want to reply on here. I agree 100%. Norton would be my last choice. I think I would even go bare before using Norton. I have not heard one good thing about Norton. My choices are MSE and MBAM Pro. Then there are tons of on demand programs you can use to keep your PC cleaned up.

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
Norton is doing pretty good these days ...I'm using it from last Week ,no false positive ,Excellent detection , Ram uses around 10mb in background and only use 30mb foreground (during scans or doing other stuffs ) , Scan time is fast Give it a try .Of course turn on UAC At least set it to recommended

see Ram used by norton (it is not going to slow down your pc Trust me )
Screenshot (2).png

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Norton is actualy pretty good and one of the lightes out there. no need for switch. and if u know what ur doing u realy, realy dont need uac. i never use uac and never get infected. useless future for advanced users, just annoying.

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
Norton is actualy pretty good and one of the lightes out there. no need for switch. and if u know what ur doing u realy, realy dont need uac. i never use uac and never get infected. useless future for advanced users, just annoying.

he is a Medium user i think it is better for him to turn it one. :)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014

I know exactly what I'm doing and my UAC is on default settings. Your point is ?

Reactions: Kent

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.