Scammers are aggressively using the Evri name to send phishing text messages and emails aimed at stealing personal and financial information from unsuspecting victims. These sophisticated scams convince recipients to share confidential details under the guise of a missed parcel delivery or other shipping-related issue that requires urgent attention.
This in-depth article will uncover how the Evri scams operate, red flags to watch for, and most critically, how to protect yourself from being deceived.
This Article Contains:
Overview of the Evri Scam
This scam involves fraudulent text messages or emails that appear to come from Evri about issues with a package delivery or customs fees. The messages mimic Evri branding and messaging style.
Some variant of the following shipping-related issues are typically cited:
- A parcel is stuck in customs and fees must be paid
- There is a pending delivery you must confirm
- Your package delivery address needs to be validated
- Your shipment has shipping issues that require payment
No matter the story, the scammers posing as Evri then provide a phone number to call or link to click so the problem can supposedly be resolved. Their ultimate aim is to steal financial and personal information or infect devices with malware.
This scam surged during the pandemic as more people shopped online and anxiously awaited courier deliveries. Victims expect parcels and don’t suspect notifications from Evri are fraudulent.
The sophistication varies. Some scams have typos and inconsistencies, while others can appear very credible, replicating official Evri fonts, colors and logos. Evri has posted warnings on its website about the scams.
Key things to know about the scam:
- Uses real Evri branding – The texts and emails looks like authentic Evri communications. This fools many people.
- Pressures urgent action – Messages often say immediate payment is required or penalties will be incurred. This rushes victims into clicking without thinking.
- Directs victims to fake sites – The links and numbers go to convincing sham Evri pages where users enter personal or financial data.
- May include parcel numbers – Fake parcel IDs and details make the scam more believable and personalized.
- Originates from burner phones/accounts – Texts come from constantly changing cell numbers and disposable accounts are used for emails.
- Seeks sensitive information – Whether through fake sites or calls, the scammers want personal info, bank logins, credit card details, etc.
- Preys on parcel anticipation – People expecting a delivery are more likely to fall for notifications about shipping problems from the courier.
This scam has infiltrated many regions as more citizens fall victim. But awareness of how to spot fraudulent Evri communications will curb deception.
How the Evri Scam Works
Evri scammers operate through text messages or emails. Here are the step-by-step details on how both versions of the scam unfold:
Evri SMS Scam
- A text message is sent from a phone number disguised as an official notice from Evri. The number changes regularly to avoid blocking.
- The message claims there is an urgent issue with a package delivery using Evri branding and messaging. Common reasons given are customs fees owed or address confirmation needed.
- A link is embedded in the text to supposedly address the delivery problem. The link goes to a fake website impersonating the real Evri site.
- On the phony site, victims are instructed to enter personal information like name, address, ID number, phone, etc. to confirm delivery details. In other cases, financial account info is sought.
- The scammers now possess the victim’s sensitive data, either using it directly for identity theft or selling it online. If bank details are given, accounts can be drained.
- With the confidential information acquired, the criminals disappear. The temporary number and website leave virtually no trail. The victim’s data is now in the hands of scammers.
Evri Email Scam
- An email is sent to recipients spoofing the legitimate email and website of Evri. The “From” address mimics Evri but goes to the scammer.
- The email claims the recipient has a pending delivery, but there is a problem needing urgent action. Customs charges, address confirmation, redelivery fees, and shipping issues are commonly cited.
- A link within the email leads to a fake Evri website seeking personal information when entered by victims. In other cases, it may download malware onto the user’s device.
- The scam email prompts entry of bank account data, credit card numbers, photo ID, etc. to pay fictional fees – allowing immediate account access.
- Along with potential bank theft and malware installation, the scammers obtain personal data like name, phone, ID numbers, address, etc. to facilitate identity fraud.
- As with the text scam, the criminals have now acquired sensitive user details through the sham emails and sites. The disposable accounts used make the scammers difficult to trace.
Red Flags of the Scam:
- Spelling and grammar mistakes
- Threatening urgent calls to action
- Requests for financial account information
- Links to odd URLs or domain names
- Requests to download software
- Phone numbers from outside your region
- Lack of specific user and shipment details
Here is a detailed section on how to spot Evri delivery text message scams using examples:
How to Identify Evri Text Message Scams
Evri scammers use text messages to fool victims about delivery issues. Here are tips to spot fraudulent texts with examples:
Analyze the Sender’s Number
- Evri’s official short code is 73757. Other numbers are likely scams.
- Example: “Parcel issue, call 01234555 immediately or fees applied. Click: [OddLink]”
Inspect Links Thoroughly
- Hover over links to preview the URL without clicking. Fake sites have odd links.
- Example: “Urgent – address confirmation needed for your Evri parcel today: [ShadyLink].”
Watch for Threatening Messages
- Evri won’t threaten you over text. Scare tactics about fees/penalties are red flags.
- Example: “Failed delivery yesterday – redelivery fee must be paid in 30 minutes or further £50 penalties charged.”
Verify Unexpected Requests
- Pause if a text out of nowhere asks for sensitive information or payment. Verify first.
- Example: “Please confirm your Evri account details now to schedule redelivery: [SketchyLink]”
Check for Missing Details
- No parcel number, order references or your address suggests a scam.
- Example: “You have a pending Evri delivery. Provide your address and credit card details now: [FishyLink]”
Trust your instincts if a text seems suspicious. Verify directly with Evri before clicking links or providing information.
How to Spot Evri Delivery Scam Emails
Evri imposters also use fraudulent emails to target victims. Here are tips to recognize scam emails with examples:
Examine the Sender’s Email Address
- Emails from odd addresses pretending to be Evri are scams.
- Example: Sender “EvriSupport@evrim4il.com” – typo is a red flag.
Analyze the Links in Emails
- Hover over hyperlinks to preview the actual destination URL without clicking.
- Example: “Click here to pay redelivery fee” points to shady “evrilogisticss.com”
Watch for Spelling/Grammar Errors
- Poor writing suggests an amateur scammer, not a real Evri email.
- Example: “Parcel attempt failed. Must pay outstanding balence immediately.”
Verify Threats of Fees or Penalties
- Evri won’t threaten penalties in emails. These urgent claims aim to pressure victims.
- Example: “You must pay £75 customs fee in 1 hr or delivery will be canceled and further fines applied.”
Check for Lack of Details
- No order number, tracking ID or your address is suspicious.
- Example: “Your Evri parcel awaits delivery. Please click link to update information.”
Go slowly and use scrutiny before clicking email links or attachments. When in doubt, contact Evri directly to verify legitimacy first.
What to Do if You Have Fallen Victim to the Scam
If you suspect you have been targeted or already fallen victim to an Evri text or email scam, take these recommended steps:
1. Contact your bank and credit card issuer.
If any financial information was shared, immediately contact your bank and card issuer. They can freeze accounts and block fraudulent charges. The quicker you notify them, the better.
2. Change any compromised passwords.
If you entered login credentials on fake sites or downloaded malware, rapidly change passwords for your email, bank accounts, social media, and other critical accounts. Enable two-factor authentication if possible.
3. Scan devices for malware.
Use quality antivirus software like Malwarebytes to scan all involved devices for viruses and malware. Remove any infections detected.
4. Place fraud alert on your credit.
Contact credit bureaus to declare fraud alerts for your file. This flags any new activity for review, making it harder for scammers to open accounts in your name.
5. Monitor accounts and credit reports.
Watch bank statements, credit reports, and online logins closely for signs of misuse of your information in the months following the scam targeting you. Proactive monitoring helps.
6. Report the scam.
Alert Evri about both scam texts and emails by filing a complaint on their website. Also report SMS scams directly to your mobile operator.
7. Document details as evidence.
Retain records like screenshots of scam texts, emails, and sites as proof for claims and investigations. Note relevant dates, phone numbers, messages, losses, etc.
8. Wipe devices completely if severe infection.
For serious malware attacks, fully reset infected devices to factory default settings. This cleans out embedded malware. Reinstall apps afterwards.
9. Seek further help if identity theft occurs.
If scammers misuse your stolen data, file an identity theft report and contact agencies like the Identity Theft Resource Center for extended fraud resolution guidance.
Falling prey to the Evri scam can create substantial personal and financial troubles. But taking quick and thorough actions can help curb damages and prevent further negative impacts going forward.
Is Your Device Infected? Check for Malware
If your device is running slowly or acting suspicious, it may be infected with malware. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free is a great option for scanning your device and detecting potential malware or viruses. The free version can efficiently check for and remove many common infections.
Malwarebytes can run on Windows, Mac, and Android devices. Depending on which operating system is installed on the device you’re trying to run a Malwarebytes scan, please click on the tab below and follow the displayed steps.
Scan your computer with Malwarebytes for Windows to remove malware
Malwarebytes is one of the most popular and most used anti-malware software for Windows, and for good reasons. It is able to destroy many types of malware that other software tends to miss, without costing you absolutely nothing. When it comes to cleaning up an infected device, Malwarebytes has always been free and we recommend it as an essential tool in the fight against malware.
Download Malwarebytes for Windows.
You can download Malwarebytes by clicking the link below.MALWAREBYTES FOR WINDOWS DOWNLOAD LINK
(The above link will open a new page from where you can download Malwarebytes)
Double-click on the Malwarebytes setup file.
When Malwarebytes has finished downloading, double-click on the MBSetup file to install Malwarebytes on your computer. In most cases, downloaded files are saved to the Downloads folder.
You may be presented with a User Account Control pop-up asking if you want to allow Malwarebytes to make changes to your device. If this happens, you should click “Yes” to continue with the Malwarebytes installation.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install Malwarebytes.
When the Malwarebytes installation begins, you will see the Malwarebytes setup wizard which will guide you through the installation process. The Malwarebytes installer will first ask you what type of computer are you installing this program on, click either Personal Computer or Work Computer.
On the next screen, click “Install” to install Malwarebytes on your computer.
When your Malwarebytes installation completes, the program opens the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
Click on “Scan”.
Malwarebytes is now installed on your computer, to start a scan click on the “Scan” button. Malwarebytes will automatically update the antivirus database and start scanning your computer for malicious programs.
Wait for the Malwarebytes scan to complete.
Malwarebytes will now scan your computer for browser hijackers and other malicious programs. This process can take a few minutes, so we suggest you do something else and periodically check on the status of the scan to see when it is finished.
Click on “Quarantine”.
When the Malwarebytes scan is finished scanning it will show a screen that displays any malware, adware, or potentially unwanted programs that it has detected. To remove the adware and other malicious programs that Malwarebytes has found, click on the “Quarantine” button.
Malwarebytes will now remove all the malicious files and registry keys that it has found. To complete the malware removal process, Malwarebytes may ask you to restart your computer.
Your computer should now be free of trojans, adware, browser hijackers, and other malware.
If your current antivirus allowed this malicious program on your computer, you may want to consider purchasing Malwarebytes Premium to protect against these types of threats in the future.
If you are still having problems with your computer after completing these instructions, then please follow one of the steps:
Scan your computer with Malwarebytes for Mac to remove malware
Malwarebytes for Mac is an on-demand scanner that can destroy many types of malware that other software tends to miss without costing you absolutely anything. When it comes to cleaning up an infected device, Malwarebytes has always been free, and we recommend it as an essential tool in the fight against malware.
Download Malwarebytes for Mac.
You can download Malwarebytes for Mac by clicking the link below.MALWAREBYTES FOR MAC DOWNLOAD LINK
(The above link will open a new page from where you can download Malwarebytes for Mac)
Double-click on the Malwarebytes setup file.
When Malwarebytes has finished downloading, double-click on the setup file to install Malwarebytes on your computer. In most cases, downloaded files are saved to the Downloads folder.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install Malwarebytes.
When the Malwarebytes installation begins, you will see the Malwarebytes for Mac Installer which will guide you through the installation process. Click “Continue“, then keep following the prompts to continue with the installation process.
When your Malwarebytes installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen. Click the “Get started” button.
Select “Personal Computer” or “Work Computer”.
The Malwarebytes Welcome screen will first ask you what type of computer are you installing this program, click either Personal Computer or Work Computer.
Click on “Scan”.
To scan your computer with Malwarebytes, click on the “Scan” button. Malwarebytes for Mac will automatically update the antivirus database and start scanning your computer for malware.
Wait for the Malwarebytes scan to complete.
Malwarebytes will scan your computer for adware, browser hijackers, and other malicious programs. This process can take a few minutes, so we suggest you do something else and periodically check on the status of the scan to see when it is finished.
Click on “Quarantine”.
When the scan has been completed, you will be presented with a screen showing the malware infections that Malwarebytes has detected. To remove the malware that Malwarebytes has found, click on the “Quarantine” button.
Malwarebytes will now remove all the malicious files that it has found. To complete the malware removal process, Malwarebytes may ask you to restart your computer.
Your Mac should now be free of adware, browser hijackers, and other malware.
If your current antivirus allowed a malicious program on your computer, you might want to consider purchasing the full-featured version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.
If you are still experiencing problems while trying to remove a malicious program from your computer, please ask for help in our Mac Malware Removal Help & Support forum.
Scan your phone with Malwarebytes for Android to remove malware
Malwarebytes for Android automatically detects and removes dangerous threats like malware and ransomware so you don’t have to worry about your most-used device being compromised. Aggressive detection of adware and potentially unwanted programs keeps your Android phone or tablet running smooth.
Download Malwarebytes for Android.
You can download Malwarebytes for Android by clicking the link below.MALWAREBYTES FOR ANDROID DOWNLOAD LINK
(The above link will open a new page from where you can download Malwarebytes for Android)
Install Malwarebytes for Android on your phone.
In the Google Play Store, tap “Install” to install Malwarebytes for Android on your device.
When the installation process has finished, tap “Open” to begin using Malwarebytes for Android. You can also open Malwarebytes by tapping on its icon in your phone menu or home screen.
Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the setup process
When Malwarebytes will open, you will see the Malwarebytes Setup Wizard which will guide you through a series of permissions and other setup options.
This is the first of two screens that explain the difference between the Premium and Free versions. Swipe this screen to continue.
Tap on “Got it” to proceed to the next step.
Malwarebytes for Android will now ask for a set of permissions that are required to scan your device and protect it from malware. Tap on “Give permission” to continue.
Tap on “Allow” to permit Malwarebytes to access the files on your phone.
Update database and run a scan with Malwarebytes for Android
You will now be prompted to update the Malwarebytes database and run a full system scan.
Click on “Update database” to update the Malwarebytes for Android definitions to the latest version, then click on “Run full scan” to perform a system scan.
Wait for the Malwarebytes scan to complete.
Malwarebytes will now start scanning your phone for adware and other malicious apps. This process can take a few minutes, so we suggest you do something else and periodically check on the status of the scan to see when it is finished.
Click on “Remove Selected”.
When the scan has been completed, you will be presented with a screen showing the malware infections that Malwarebytes for Android has detected. To remove the malicious apps that Malwarebytes has found, tap on the “Remove Selected” button.
Restart your phone.
Malwarebytes for Android will now remove all the malicious apps that it has found. To complete the malware removal process, Malwarebytes may ask you to restart your device.
Your phone should now be free of adware, browser hijackers, and other malware.
If your current antivirus allowed a malicious app on your phone, you may want to consider purchasing the full-featured version of Malwarebytes to protect against these types of threats in the future.
If you are still having problems with your phone after completing these instructions, then please follow one of the steps:
- Restore your phone to factory settings by going to Settings > General management > Reset > Factory data reset.
- Ask for help in our Mobile Malware Removal Help & Support forum.
Frequently Asked Questions About Evri Scams
What are Evri scams?
They are fake text messages and emails sent by scammers impersonating Evri delivery company. They claim issues with deliveries to trick people into providing personal and financial information.
How do I recognize Evri scams?
Watch for odd links, urgent threats, spelling/grammar errors, requests for sensitive data, non-Evri numbers, missing order details, and other red flags. Verify any suspicions directly with Evri.
What do the scammers want?
Their aim is to steal identities, drain bank accounts, and install malware using the fraudulent shipping communications. Posing as Evri lets them elicit sensitive data.
What should I do if I get a suspicious message?
Do not click links, provide information, make payments, or call numbers provided. Report scam emails to Evri and text scams to 7726.
What if I already provided information or clicked a link?
Quickly contact your bank, scan devices for malware, enable two-factor authentication on accounts, place fraud alerts with credit bureaus, monitor your credit, and report the scam.
How can I avoid Evri scams?
Analyze messages closely, look for red flags, contact Evri to verify concerns, avoid opening attachments/links, and never provide personal or financial data to unconfirmed sources.
How common are these scams?
These scams have surged along with e-commerce and delivery volumes. Scammers increasingly pretend to be Evri hoping victims anxiously await parcels.
Who is responsible for these scams?
Individual scammers and organized cybercrime rings in the UK and abroad run these cons. They are difficult to trace as they use burner phones and fake accounts.
What risks do I face if I provide my information?
Identity theft, bank account draining, credit damage, and device malware infections. Scammers exploit leaked personal and financial data.
Can Evri help if I’m scammed?
Unfortunately Evri is not liable, but can provide information to authorities to aid investigations. You must file claims and reports regarding any losses from scams.
How can I protect myself from these scams?
Be vigilant inspecting parcel communications, contact Evri to verify odd requests, avoid opening attachments/links, and never provide personal or financial information to unconfirmed sources.
The Bottom Line
Scam texts and emails impersonating Evri are a growing threat that citizens should be vigilant against. These fraudulent shipping notifications are designed to harvest users’ personal details and money.
By learning the scam tactics, recognizing warning signs, and acting fast if targeted, individuals can protect themselves from the havoc of identity theft and bank account draining. The insights provided here offer the awareness needed to avoid becoming another victim of these parcel delivery and customs scams.
Stay alert for questionable digital communications claiming to be from Evri. Verify any delivery issues directly with them. Follow prudent cyber security habits regarding links, downloads, and providing sensitive information to unconfirmed sources. With proper scam awareness, these frauds can be contained. But it requires an informed public that examines messages critically and understands this threat. Use the knowledge in this article to identify and evade Evri scams.