If you are seeing an RunDLL pop-up error from SysMenu.dll (C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\SysMenu.dll) when starting Windows, then your computer is infected with an adware program.
The SysMenu.dll RunDLL error message pop-up is:
There was a problem starting C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\SysMenu.dll
The specified module could not be found.
SysMenu.dll (C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\SysMenu.dll) is part of an adware program, that displays pop-up ads and advertisements on web pages that you visit. These advertisements will be shown as boxes containing various coupons that are available, as underlined keywords, pop-up ads or advertising banners.
What is SysMenu.dll?
The adware program which runs the SysMenu.dll process, is advertised as a program that displays coupons for sites you are visiting and competitive prices when you are viewing product pages at sites like Amazon. Though this may sound like a useful service, the SysMenu.dll program can be intrusive and will display ads whether you want them to or not.
These ads are aimed to promote the installation of additional questionable content including web browser toolbars, optimization utilities and other products, all so the SysMenu.dll publisher can generate pay-per-click revenue.
When infected with SysMenu.dll the common symptoms include:
- Advertising banners are injected with the web pages that you are visiting.
- Random web page text is turned into hyperlinks.
- Browser popups appear which recommend fake updates or other software.
- Other unwanted adware programs might get installed without the user’s knowledge.
How did SysMenu.dll got on my computer?
SysMenu.dll (C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\SysMenu.dll) is an adware program that is commonly bundled with other free programs that you download off of the Internet.
Unfortunately, some free downloads do not adequately disclose that other software will also be installed and you may find that you have installed SysMenu.dll without your knowledge. Most commonly SysMenu.dll is bundled within the installers from Cnet, Softonic or other similar custom third-party installers.
You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs, such as this SysMenu.dll adware. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place.
It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
How to remove “SysMenu.dll” (Virus Removal Guide)
This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove “SysMenu.dll” virus from your computer, and any other adware program that may have been installed during the setup process.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Remove SysMenu.dll RunDLL (C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\SysMenu.dll) from Windows with Ccleaner
STEP 2: Remove SysMenu.dll adware from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome with AdwCleaner
STEP 3: Remove SysMenu.dll browser hijacker with Junkware Removal Tool
STEP 4: Remove SysMenu.dll virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
STEP 5: Double-check for the “SysMenu.dll” malware with HitmanPro
STEP 1 : Remove SysMenu.dll RunDLL (C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\SysMenu.dll) from Windows with Ccleaner
In this first step, we will try to identify and remove any malicious program that might be installed on your computer.
- You can download Ccleaner utility from the below link.
CCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download Ccleaner on your computer)
- Install Ccleaner and start this utility, click the Tools icon at left, then click the Startup button.
- In the Startup screen, you’ll see a list of all items that have been set to start automatically with Windows. Search the for the malicious SysMenu.dll (Arcade Giant or Arcade Parlor) start-up key, then click on the “Delete” button.
STEP 2: Remove SysMenu.dll adware from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome with AdwCleaner
The AdwCleaner utility will scan your computer and web browser for the “SysMenu.dll” malicious files, browser extensions and registry keys, that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below link.
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will download “AdwCleaner” on your computer)
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the “Scan” button as shown below.
AdwCleaner will now start to search for the “SysMenu.dll” malicious files that may be installed on your computer.
- To remove the “SysMenu.dll” malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the “Clean” button.
- AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or documents, as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button.
STEP 3: Remove SysMenu.dll browse hijacker Junkware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool is a powerful utility, which will remove SysMenu.dll browser extensions from Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome, and will double-check for any other compromised Windows shortcuts.
- You can download the Junkware Removal Tool utility from the below link:
JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the Junkware Removal Tool utility on your computer)
- Once Junkware Removal Tool has finished downloading, please double-click on the JRT.exe icon as seen below.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run Junkware Removal Tool, please allow it to run.
- Junkware Removal Tool will now start, and at the Command Prompt, you’ll need to press any key to perform a scan for the SysMenu.dll virus.
Please be patient as this can take a while to complete (up to 10 minutes) depending on your system’s specifications.
- When the scan Junkware Removal Tool will be completed, this utility will display a log with the malicious files and registry keys that were removed from your computer.
STEP 4: Remove “SysMenu.dll” virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free uses industry-leading technology to detect and remove all traces of malware, including worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware, and more.
It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts.
- You can download download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the below link.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download “Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free”)
- Once downloaded, close all programs, then double-click on the icon on your desktop named “mbam-setup-consumer-2.00.xx” to start the installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
You may be presented with a User Account Control dialog asking you if you want to run this file. If this happens, you should click “Yes” to continue with the installation.
- When the installation begins, you will see the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Setup Wizard which will guide you through the installation process.
To install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your machine, keep following the prompts by clicking the “Next” button.
- Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program, and that a scan has never been run on your system. To start a system scan you can click on the “Fix Now” button.
Alternatively, you can click on the “Scan” tab and select “Threat Scan“, then click on the “Scan Now” button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now check for updates, and if there are any, you will need to click on the “Update Now” button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for the SysMenu.dll virus. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is scanning it will look like the image below.
- When the scan has completed, you will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected. To remove the malicious programs that Malwarebytes Anti-malware has found, click on the “Quarantine All” button, and then click on the “Apply Now” button.
Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now quarantine all the malicious files and registry keys that it has found. When removing the files, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot your computer, please allow it to do so.
After your computer will restart, you should open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform another “Threat Scan” scan to verify that there are no remaining threats
STEP 5: Double-check for the “SysMenu.dll” malware infection with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti-virus software, firewalls, etc.). HitmanPro is designed to work alongside existing security programs without any conflicts. It scans the computer quickly (less than 5 minutes) and does not slow down the computer.
- You can download HitmanPro from the below link:
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download “HitmanPro”
- Double-click on the file named “HitmanPro.exe” (for 32-bit versions of Windows) or “HitmanPro_x64.exe” (for 64-bit versions of Windows). When the program starts you will be presented with the start screen as shown below.
Click on the “Next” button, to install HitmanPro on your computer.
- HitmanPro will now begin to scan your computer for SysMenu.dll malicious files.
- When it has finished it will display a list of all the malware that the program found as shown in the image below. Click on the “Next” button, to remove SysMenu.dll virus.
- Click on the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial, and remove all the malicious files from your computer.