Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That Angry Birds wallpaper app you’ve downloaded is doing more than decorating your smartphone screen — in the background, it’s also accessing your device’s GPS data, which tracks your location.

Android phones do warn users when they download applications about what information the programs will access. Whether most people actually read those warnings is another matter. Google did not respond to a request for comment.

Some of the most aggressive apps are programs purporting to be affiliated with popular brands such as Facebook and Zynga, Bit9 Chief Technology Officer Harry Sverdlove wrote in an e-mail. The extra functions don’t necessarily make the programs malicious, but they do raise questions about the developers’ intentions, he added.

Mobile app privacy is even becoming an issue for law enforcement.

Source

This is nothing new, but main reason I haven't dived into buy a smartphone yet.

D

Deleted member 178

i am using Avast Mobile on a rooted phone so i can enable the firewall. It allows me to select which process can connect a network.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Even so, the point is the Apps require too much access to your data.

I assume Avast Mobile Security needs full access for "scanning" etc?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I use DroidWall (Developer: Rodrigo ZR). I don't really need a full antivirus app. Cerberus and DroidWall do the job.

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
Even so, the point is the Apps require too much access to your data.

I assume Avast Mobile Security needs full access for "scanning" etc?

Not just for scanning but for all its many modules and it need admin privilege for the firewall & antitheft (quite logical).
Avast has a Privacy Advisor that list "what access what" and flag itself, interesting point you can block Avast to connect a network via its own firewall.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So you don't question any motives when you use other Apps, you'll just block access using your security app.

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
So you don't question any motives when you use other Apps, you'll just block access using your security app.

if i decide to use a product that may put my privacy at risk, i cant blame it since i am fully aware that some issue may happen.

So if it worry me but i really need it, i will try to found a solution, Avast in my case

Now the question is : "was i warned?"

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
One of the rises isssues with the Android world is the apps that need your imput and or need information. For Android now a days best to have some kind of AV. Plus if you have no idea what is being installed on your phone, don't install it. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.