Updated on 20 March 2016
2. Overview of the information we collect.
- A.Personally Identifiable Information
MalwareTips will collect personally identifiable information (e.g., name, e-mail address, postal address), from you when you voluntarily provide such information. For example, you may submit personally identifiable information (i) to register with the Site or use interactive parts of our Site where users can provide content and suggestions or participate in interactive discussions and/or (ii) to participate in optional events, sweepstakes, contests or promotion registrations.
- B.Aggregate Information
Aggregate information is non-personally identifiable/anonymous information, such as type of web browser used, type of operating system, the domain name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP), and Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. Each time a visitor (whether they are registered or not) connects to a page on the Site, we log that visitor's IP address in our web server's log files. This is a common practice used by almost all sites and is used to track which pages visitors access and how much time is spent on a page.
You may disable cookies at any time. But, if you do not allow cookies from MalwareTips, then you may not be able to use certain features of the Site.
3. Use and Disclosure of information collected by MalwareTips
A. Personally Identifiable Information
We may use personally identifiable information for the following purposes: (i) validation of a user's registration, (ii) topic and forum subscription notifications, (iii) for Site administrators to contact a particular user, (iv) to notify a user that he or she won a contest, (v) performing customer service activities, (vi) making available services to you or notifying you about new services or offers you may find valuable. Personally identifiable information will not be disclosed to any third parties, except as follows:
- We may disclose personally identifiable information if legally required to do so, if requested to do so by a governmental entity or if we believe in good faith that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process; (b) protect the rights or property of MalwareTips or its affiliated companies; (c) investigate or prevent a crime or protect national security or cooperate in investigating any incident in which we believe that you have abused the Site by using it to attack other systems or to gain unauthorized access to any other system, to engage in spamming or otherwise to violate applicable laws; or (d) protect the personal safety of users or the public.
- MalwareTips may from time to time allow public visibility of user profiles. These profiles may contain personally identifiable information volunteered by its users. All information that may be publicly visible is provided entirely by the member and can be changed by the users when or if they edit their personal forum profile. (Please see Section 6 below for directions on how to edit your profile.)
- From time to time MalwareTips may offer surveys, optional events, sweepstakes, contests, and promotions to members and/or visitors to the Site. Any personally identifiable information that is collected during these events will only be shared with another company for the purposes of delivery of a prize. By participating in a survey, event, sweepstakes, contest or promotion and by completing the submission you acknowledge that MalwareTips has hereby notified you and that you expressly agreed to the sharing of your submitted personally identifiable information.
B. Aggregate Information
MalwareTips uses aggregate information for the purpose of operating and improving the Site, fostering a positive user experience and delivering the products and services that we offer. As stated earlier, no single person can be identified by such aggregate information.
4. Do any third parties collect information about me on the Site?
We use analytics tools and other third party technologies, such as Google Analytics, to collect non-personal information in the form of various usage and user metrics when you use our online Sites and/or Services. These tools and technologies collect and analyze certain types of information, including cookies, IP addresses, device and software identifiers, referring and exit URLs, onsite behavior and usage information, feature use metrics and statistics, usage and purchase history, MAC Address, mobile unique device ID, and other similar information.
The third party analytics companies who collect information on our Site and other online products and/or services may combine the information collected with other information they have independently collected from other websites and/or other online or mobile products and services relating to your activities across their network of websites as well as online and/or mobile products and services. Many of these companies collect and use information under their own privacy policies.
You may opt out of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt-out page.
Users may find advertising or other content on our Site that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our Site, is subject to that website's own terms and policies.
5. How does MalwareTips protect and secure my information?
MalwareTips follows generally accepted industry standards to protect your sensitive information from unauthorized access. Any data that is stored on our servers is treated as confidential and is not made generally available to the public. Our servers are protected by firewalls and are located in secure data facilities to further increase security. Please keep in mind, however, that despite these reasonable efforts to protect data on our servers, no method of transmission over the Internet is guaranteed to be secure. Therefore, while we strive to protect your personal data at all times, we cannot guarantee its absolute security and shall not be liable for any breach of security by an outside party.
6. How can I update or change my personal information?
You can update almost all information about your account by logging in and clicking on Personal Details found under your User Name. From the Personal Details you can edit your profile and manage other profile settings. If there is information that you can not change with this method, please contact us by using this feedback form with all relevant information.
7. Policies for individuals under 13 (COPPA)
8. How to Unsubscribe from MalwareTips
If you are a member of MalwareTips.com, and would like to unsubscribe, you can contact us and provide your login name and e-mail address. We will then verify via e-mail that you are indeed the owner of the account and remove or deactivate it per your instructions. The public content (threads or posts) that you have created can only be removed if an administrators will decide that this operation will not affect the forum activity.
If at any time you would like to communicate with us about your privacy concerns, please contact us using this feedback form.