Battle 2017: Avast Free vs Windows Defender (Windows 10)

Heyye

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 18, 2016
Before i used Avast on Windows 7. But today i upgraded my system to Windows 10. I am very undecided that which one i must use on Windows 10. Is Windows Defender enough to protect my computer?

Sorry for my english.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Heyye.​

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What about obfuscated executables embedded in the js? This is exactly RAA. It downloads other malware, but if it can't download, it still encrypts, executing the embedded executable. My point is, from this video, you cannot know for sure that is was a third payload downloaded from the internet that did the encryption. And if was embedded in the js, that's even worse, it's a static file that should have been detected. If this is the case, maybe the AV installed didn't got an update with the signature for this particular ransomware, or they didn't got the chance to build one (0-day variant).

Anyway, Avast is good, WD is good. I would probably choose Avast, it has to be at least a little bit better, why else would they release another free AV while WD is around? :)
yeah you're right. we don't have the sample so we don't understand how it worked

lisa01

May 29, 2017
Hi,

In my opinion Windows Defender scan is nothing compared to Antivirus software’s. As Windows Defender is not capable to recognize internet threats while browsing. Whereas the antivirus software with internet security protection is able to detect sites filled with malware and virus. So I recommend you to install a good AV rather than relying on windows defender.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.