2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5036893) error 0x800f0922. Something Didn't Go As Planned.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Create a new admin user and run sfc on it and see if the errors are fixed. Sometimes corrupted user profile can cause wierd issues.

Doesn't solve the issue

You can try with sfc/scannow and dism to see whether they work

If you cannot install Window from external and when you reformat your PC/laptop it'll try to install Windows from either the local partition or cloud. If you select from Local and it still cannot install Windows up then it's likely the local Windows copy in the partition is corrupted.

Cannot do anything but send back to the manufacturer.

I have this experience when I bought my new LG laptop. After 2 weeks of using it failed to install my WIndows even after reformat. I went back to LG service centre and they tried all means but cannot repair it. Luckily they replaced a new laptop for me since I was using it for 2 weeks only.
This is a custom built pc by me.

Have you tried a repair install through Windows update in settings?
I did, and it still hasn't solved my issue yet.

@oldschool @Brahman @HarborFront

This is so fk weird. Someone who is trying to solve my issue on another forum saying there is something going with my operating system partitions. I haven't touched or messed with the operating systems since day 1 installed. He says there is something wrong with my other drive partition or the recovery parition or efi partition on my windows installed drive.

I managed to do the in-place upgrade windows 11 method after finished the cdhsk method, but I still can't install this particular update. Here are my drive partitions layout in diskpart and disk management. Can anyone tell me how to fix this or what the hell is going on?

mmc_EC9fmHxCzp.png

mmc_7hi5F8o4G4.png

WindowsTerminal_XYQaAN2tfG.png

Reactions: Khushal
Mar 10, 2024
Doesn't solve the issue

This is a custom built pc by me.

I did, and it still hasn't solved my issue yet.

@oldschool @Brahman @HarborFront

This is so fk weird. Someone who is trying to solve my issue on another forum saying there is something going with my operating system partitions. I haven't touched or messed with the operating systems since day 1 installed. He says there is something wrong with my other drive partition or the recovery parition or efi partition on my windows installed drive.

I managed to do the in-place upgrade windows 11 method after finished the cdhsk method, but I still can't install this particular update. Here are my drive partitions layout in diskpart and disk management. Can anyone tell me how to fix this or what the hell is going on?

View attachment 283032

View attachment 283033

View attachment 283034
Have you tried running a chkdsk for errors/ bad sectors?

Open Command Prompt from the start menu by right-clicking it and select Run as administrator,

Type "chkdsk (drive letter)" and hit Enter,

After the scan is complete, if there are bad sectors, type "chkdsk (drive letter):/f" to fix the drive

Press Enter and wait for the sectors to be fixed.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Have you tried running a chkdsk for errors/ bad sectors?

Open Command Prompt from the start menu by right-clicking it and select Run as administrator,

Type "chkdsk (drive letter)" and hit Enter,

After the scan is complete, if there are bad sectors, type "chkdsk (drive letter):/f" to fix the drive

Press Enter and wait for the sectors to be fixed.
I did

The chkdsk method successfully done something that I managed to do the in-place upgrade windows 11 repair. But I still can't install this update because it will say "Something didn't go as planned" once it hits 97% mark.

Mar 10, 2024
I did

The chkdsk method successfully done something that I managed to do the in-place upgrade windows 11 repair. But I still can't install this update because it will say "Something didn't go as planned" once it hits 97% mark.
You definitely have some corruption going on.
I would recommend to save yourself further headache to back up all your personal stuff and do a wipe and clean install of windows.

Last edited:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: oldschool

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I did

Wait till next cumulative update, see if it goes on ( it might also be a Microsoft problem). In the mean time did you tried this method of repair install ( image from usb).

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024
Wait till next cumulative update, see if it goes on ( it might also be a Microsoft problem). In the mean time did you tried this method of repair install ( image from usb).
I do have to apologize to @SumTingWong for overlooking he had already ran chkdsk scan. Looking back through his posts though seems to confirm more then just an upgrade issue, it appears as I already stated as some pretty serious corruption. The chkdsk scan he ran corrected some issues which states this, and the fact that sfc and dism scans are not able to correct this does as well.

Even if a future update took and allowed this one too, the underlying issue will still more then likely remain, which is why I suggested a full wipe and reformat of the operating system and drivers.

Not only could this underlying corruption cause unknown issues, but it quite literally expands the attack surface of his system.

So personally again, I would wipe and clean start the system to be 100% sure the issue is resolved whether it be software or hardware you will know by reformatting. Just make sure to back up your own personal stuff first so as to not lose anything.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
You definitely have some corruption going on.
I would recommend to save yourself further headache to back up all your personal stuff and do a wipe and clean install of windows.
Is it files corruption? what the heck is this corruption? Other april updates went through fine, it just this particular update is not fine.

I already done that. There is windows.old folder in my c drive.
I do have to apologize to @SumTingWong for overlooking he had already ran chkdsk scan. Looking back through his posts though seems to confirm more then just an upgrade issue, it appears as I already stated as some pretty serious corruption. The chkdsk scan he ran corrected some issues which states this, and the fact that sfc and dism scans are not able to correct this does as well.

Even if a future update took and allowed this one too, the underlying issue will still more then likely remain, which is why I suggested a full wipe and reformat of the operating system and drivers.

Not only could this underlying corruption cause unknown issues, but it quite literally expands the attack surface of his system.

So personally again, I would wipe and clean start the system to be 100% sure the issue is resolved whether it be software or hardware you will know by reformatting. Just make sure to back up your own personal stuff first so as to not lose anything.
Dam like fr? I have to clean reinstall windows just because this one stupid Windows update refuse to go through?! This is such a bs......It took me days to get this system running the way I really like.

Mar 10, 2024
Is it files corruption? what the heck is this corruption? Other april updates went through fine, it just this particular update is not fine.

I already done that. There is windows.old folder in my c drive.

Dam like fr? I have to clean reinstall windows just because this one stupid Windows update refuse to go through?! This is such a bs......It took me days to get this system running the way I really like.
If it was me I would just to make sure it's done correctly, that is your decision you have to make though.

Chkdsk fixing issues was you first sign that it may be more then just an update failing.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@Victor M
@Practical Response
@Brahman
@HarborFront

Okay, I think I manage to fix this issue, and I still don't know what causing it. I did a full disk restore using last month backup ( I don't remember that I did a full disk backup last month) then C Drive partition restore. Now, I can install this update fine. Something bombed the partition, I think. Maybe last week Windows updates screw it up?

Also, do you guys know how can I fix this or is it a bug? My CD-DVD rom drive shows up volume numbers in the windows optimize drive app.
dfrgui_ZwAqkhCzkn.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.