Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Pure Storage, a supplier of all-flash storage devices, expects capacity of its proprietary direct flash module (DFM) solid-state drives to increase by six times in a few years, leading to 300TB capacities. The company expects advancements of 3D NAND areal density driven by increased number of layers and other factors to enable such a dramatic capacity increase. SSDs for client PCs are also expected to gain capacity in the coming years, but not as dramatically.

"The plan for us over the next couple of years is to take our hard drive competitive posture into a whole new space," said Alex McMullan, CTO of Pure Storage, in an interview with Blocks & Files. "Today we are shipping 24TB and 48TB [DFM] drives. You can expect […] a number of announcements from us at our Accelerate conference around larger and larger drive sizes with our stated ambition here to have 300TB drive capabilities, by or before 2026."

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
300TB? I guess when full 4K disc rips are 100GB it makes sense. These are for data centres no?

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I recall news 20 years ago about holographic disks/discs with "unlimited" data within 5 years, but somehow they never came, I guess copyright companies "helped".

300GB disc 14 years ago:

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
300TB? I guess when full 4K disc rips are 100GB it makes sense. These are for data centres no?
"Yes, these 300TB SSDs are primarily intended for use in data centers and enterprise environments, where there is a need for high-capacity storage solutions. With the increasing usage of big data, machine learning, and AI applications, the demand for high-capacity storage drives that can handle large amounts of data is on the rise. The 300TB capacity of these SSDs will allow organizations to store vast amounts of data in a single drive and help them manage their data more effectively."

Source: AI-powered Reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.