Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
3P Request Blocker (3PRB) blocks 3rd party resources
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3prb/: 3P Request Blocker (3PRB) – Add-ons for Firefox
912800-64.png
Version 1.0.26.11 Last updated 12 hours ago (Mar 30, 2018)
112.6 KiB Works with Firefox for Android 52.0 and later, Firefox 52.0 and later = Quantum Support
Source code released under MIT/X11 License

3P Request Blocker (3PRB) by 3PRB

Prevent your browser from connecting to 3rd party resource without user consent. Increase your privacy, security, and speed by blocking unnecessary requests.
upload_2018-3-30_23-18-37.png

upload_2018-3-30_23-20-22.png

This add-on block all 3rd party requests. Only you can allow|temporary allow them.

- Additionally, this add-on will protect you from these attacks:
1. Try to load http:// resource from https://
2. Try to load internet resource from file://
3. Try to trick you with punycode domain (disabled by default)
- Block resource type / MIME type to save bandwidth.
- Many options to configure.
- Nothing is sent nor collected by this add-on.
- Support "Firefox Android". Results may vary. (my primary target is PC)

To Firefox ESR 52 / Tor Browser users:
ESR52 doesn't have latest WebExt APIs, so both won't work:
1. Whitelist "export" button
2. WebSocket blocking
Upgrade your Firefox or wait for next ESR release(ESR59+).

To Tor Browser users:
1. Disable bundled NoScript. (from about:addons)
2. Turn on CSP. Go to "about:config" -> set "security.csp.enable" to true.

If you want to use 3PRB's JS Blocker (Disabled by default)
If you're using uBO, delete it. uBO will override my add-on and allow inline JS. This is called "add-on conflict".

- Convert "RequestPolicy" rule to text
- Test JavaScript
- The Internet is seriously flawed.

> Add website to whitelist (from toolbar button)
1. Click red icon. (Red = 3P resource detected)
2. Select some FQDN you want to allow. Click [Apply].
[Default]
Your rule is added to the whitelist.
[If "I want to set temporary permissions" is selected]
ALW: Your rule is added to the whitelist. (ALW: 'ALloW')
~: Your rule is added to the "temporary whitelist". This list is not permanent.
- for MORE look on Mozilla add_on link...

User comments:
"This is a perfect substitute for the RequestPolicy addon..."
"Really a useful add-on. A must have for privacy and to learn about how work the Web. 5 stars I recommend !"
"TLDR: RequestPolicy + QuantumSupport + SecurityOptions = This add-on."

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I'd recommend uBlock Origin in medium mode - uMatrix if you want to get really advanced - over this add-on as they're well known and seem like they're more intuitive than this add-on.
I'd go for uMatrix on Chrome too and No Script on Firefox. As you said more reputable and proven.

Reactions: frogboy

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Depends whether 3P request broker also blocks (as an example but not limited to):
- xmlhttprequest
- websocket
- ping
- webrtc

Then this extension suggested by Prorootect has added value in regard to uBlock medium blocking.

On top of this extra adblock 3p features, there might be another bonus. Have you ever tried to maintain exceptions with uBlock?Only when you allow site specific exceptions the My Rules (uBlock) list organizes itself, otherwise it is hard to get overview ofwhat is allowed and what not (being merely just a plain list where you have to browse through).

I prefer uBlock above Noscript on Firefox, despite uBlocks clunky whitelist and exceptions when using in medium mode, it is still 100x advanced than NoScript. This clunkyness of uBock only apples when using in medium mode (in simple mode it works fine and in full advanced mode people probably only have exceptions per site so the My Rules list organises itself)

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I love these Mozilla add-ons. I've been planning on getting uBlock Origin someday, but I haven't gotten around to that because Maxthon is my default browser and Firefox is my second-resort browser. To cut to the chase for us who are not yet intimate with uB O, what does 3P Request Blocker offer that one doesn't get with uB O?

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I love these Mozilla add-ons. I've been planning on getting uBlock Origin someday, but I haven't gotten around to that because Maxthon is my default browser and Firefox is my second-resort browser. To cut to the chase for us who are not yet intimate with uB O, what does 3P Request Blocker offer that one doesn't get with uB O?
Good question conceptualclarity, look:

uBlock Origin: latest version: 2.0 MiB, works with signatures, demand frequent updates....
3P Request Blocker: latest v.: 112.6 KiB, no signatures, so no updates cause signatures.

- and read post #5 above, by Windows_Security

- Your choice?

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
3PRB new Version1.0.30.4 - Last updated a day ago (Apr 20, 2018)

Released April 21, 2018 - 130.6 KiB
Works with Firefox for Android 52.0 and later, Firefox 52.0 and later

Minor improvement

- Yesterday I've problem (no more add-on window)...but Today is OK!

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

jacemace

Level 1
Apr 17, 2014
using this with ubo and umatrix - as a replacement for requestpolicy on a sourceforge build of firefox nightly - as described in the user reviews for 3prb on the mozilla add on site - you can change the settings difficulty to multiple levels - I chose the hardest - which gives you eight settings - whitelist, filter, contents, redirect, script, browser, popup, misc - make sure to hit save everytime you tick/untick a box - there are also links to what some settings do - not sure how to change settings to different levels without clicking factory defaults in the misc tab section - I have left it set in the most advanced/hardest setting.

Reactions: Prorootect

jacemace

Level 1
Apr 17, 2014
What has happened between the developer and Mozilla?
This is what is at the developers site -

Attachments

• Screenshot (1013).png
    Screenshot (1013).png
    64.4 KB · Views: 347

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
What has happened between the developer and Mozilla?
This is what is at the developers site -

You need to supply us with the link to that page. We can't get anywhere from that png file. I may put the page on an archive website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.