64-bit Chrome for Android will soon arrive with improved performance

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Google is all set to stop accepting 32-bit apps on the Play Store from next year. Ahead of that, the company is in the process of transitioning its own apps to 64-bit. With the release of Chrome 85 later this year, Google will be installing a 64-bit version of the browser on all devices running Android 10 or higher.

With Chrome 85 being a full-fledged 64-bit app, it will bring a number of performance and security improvements to the table. A quick comparison of Chrome 83 stable which is still a 32-bit app and Chrome 85 Dev 64-bit in Octane 2.0 benchmarks shows a notable jump in performance -- 15515 vs 16785. Google is also doing an A/B testing with the 64-bit version of Chrome Beta 84 on some devices.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Hmmm.... Does Chrome Android consume too much RAM like PC versions? I never used it, instead opted for Firefox.
I think phones with 8GB or more RAM will be finally able to extract more performance.
Cant really notice any difference when having 8gb ram, firefox preview just supports ublock origin, privacy possum etc. on android also about:config is there to be configured...cant see any reason to switch to chrome myself

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Cant really notice any difference when having 8gb ram, firefox preview just supports ublock origin, privacy possum etc. on android also about:config is there to be configured...cant see any reason to switch to chrome myself
Thought I was the only one who used FF on all platforms and devices. I noticed higher than usual battery drain on FF preview on Android 10. Its really faster than Chrome and almost as fast as Safari on iOS 13.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Thought I was the only one who used FF on all platforms and devices. I noticed higher than usual battery drain on FF preview on Android 10. Its really faster than Chrome and almost as fast as Safari on iOS 13.
Count me in in this minority group 😄 Though I've been using Chromium Edge on PC a lot more lately but no reason to switch away from Firefox on Android yet.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
What's going on with some people moved from Firefox to the Edge? for the reason? :unsure:
I haven't moved from Firefox but trying it out. I prefer dark pages around the web and Chromium has a forced dark mode flag without the need of using any extension so, for the last week this is one of the main reason I'm using it more than Firefox.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.