App Review 9 programs vs. Rootkit Safegroup.pl

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
D

Deleted member 178

Bit Defender, KIS, ESET, AVG, Gdata: not surprising, they deserve their good reputation.

Bullguard: i never used it, but it is quite positive.

Trend Micro: not surprising that he failed, it has a very good web filter but the rest is average.

Avast & Panda : very surprising that they failed, but we knows that Avast without its RT module active, its BB is useless. For Panda i expected better.

P

Plexx

I am not too surprise in avast!'s results. Its BB sometimes makes me wonder if it actually works. Its auto sandbox still questionable. The rest of the modules (excluding mail, p2p and im) work just fine. I hope version 8 or whatever number will be the successor of version 7 has more improvements in the modules that are currently not working at its full potential. avast! still is considered a very good free alternative and considering the shields given for free, we have to give them credit. However, one thing is to be noted: avast! users should beware of program updates... Have a look at their forums and you would understand...

Panda and TM: Hit or Miss is what I would say.

Bullguard is a decent product. G-data on the other hand, due to its 2 signatures, for best results, you will loose the balance of medium lightness to heavier overall impact on performance.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Its BB sometimes makes me wonder if it actually works. Its auto sandbox still questionable.

I think your notions are founded. I have often wondered the same, though I stayed quiet on the subject.

P

Plexx

ZOU1 said:
Its BB sometimes makes me wonder if it actually works. Its auto sandbox still questionable.

I think your notions are founded. I have often wondered the same, though I stayed quiet on the subject.

Well, I decided to re-check the report on BB.

10064424.png

Graph looks like picked up quite a bit right? 93 events analyzed, 23 max (no clue what does this one means).

Yet the whole week and a bit all I did was: Install Mamutu, configure Mamutu (this was on Boxing day morning), launch chrome and Eve online.

Only today I launched EFT and EVEMON and between installing Mamutu and today, it jumped from 4 files to 9.

18371083.png

Is it working? I say yes. Is it in full working condition? I say its questionable to say the least. And who would think that Behavior Shield is tied up to Script shield?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Although I have never used Bullgaurd either,it always seems to do pretty well. I might try an scrounge a license or 2 and let the the Testing and Reviews group give it a run for it's money.Maybe Umbra since he is newly promoted and has to earn his keep :p

P

Plexx

White Nobster said:
Although I have never used Bullgaurd either,it always seems to do pretty well. I might try an scrounge a license or 2 and let the the Testing and Reviews group give it a run for it's money.Maybe Umbra since he is newly promoted and has to earn his keep :p

Have a look here for latest version, or here for the thread.

I did the text review before 2013 version which is available in MT.

However fully mutating Umbra Virus to Bullguard and other components sure is a hell of a mission!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
That was a great review of Bullguard 2013 by MalwareDoctor.It didnt do very well at all.

I wonder if Umbra's voice is as soothing as MalwareDoctor's :D

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
In TM under other setting there is an option of Extra Security which makes the start up more secured, i wonder if that option was ticked during test or was it the stock setting, I agree repairing capabilities of TM are quite poor, but TM takes a backup of your mbr as soon as it is installed, since it was a rootkit i was hoping to see some restore mbr etc. :D
Nevertheless, great review :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.