Troubleshoot Abnormal / Unpredictable Extremely High Disk Usage

LuckPantz

Thread author
Nov 24, 2016
Hey there,

Upon startup (always), and inconsistently at other times my disk usage will read %100

The programs seemingly responsible for this usage can be WoW (World of Warcraft), Network Restricted (number: [10-17?]), Com Surrogate, Compatibility Telemetry, system, bitdefender update, google chrome, and others I am likely forgetting.

I've read articles on high disk usage and have tried various things. I realize this is broad at this point, so I will narrow it to a few simple questions:

Is there a conflict between Reimage and Bitdefender (I am using both)?

Could this be indicative of a failing hard drive although all scans I've done report perfect health?

Could the network restricted programs (with varying numbers) be a result of some conflict between my router/wifi/firewalls/malware protection?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions!

Just a general suggestion...

You should be able to identify which process(es) are causing high CPU in Task Manager. After you have identified which process(es), then you can research the causes further.

It is unclear in your OP as you state "seemingly responsible..." It appears that you are making a generalization instead of definitively identifying the process(es) that are overtaxing the CPU.

Perhaps I am just mis-interpreting your OP.

Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Hey there,

Upon startup (always), and inconsistently at other times my disk usage will read %100

The programs seemingly responsible for this usage can be WoW (World of Warcraft), Network Restricted (number: [10-17?]), Com Surrogate, Compatibility Telemetry, system, bitdefender update, google chrome, and others I am likely forgetting.

Task Manager info would be helpful.

When in doubt on processor issues, I look to the likeliest Windows components first. I had an issue with Network Restricted, but it was RAM related and ultimately ended up being a sidebar gadget I was running rather than NR, itself. All I can think of is to disable programs from running on boot and reboot. It's an archaic way to get to the bottom of this I guess, but it might help you at least eliminate some suspected processes.

So annoying this is when it occurs...

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
those processes you mention can cause a spike in system resource usage. It sounds normal to me.

Reactions: aragornnnn
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.