Advice Request About protocol hijacked

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

codswollip

Level 23
Thread author
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
When Scanning with 360TS Essential, I frequently get "About protocol hijacked" and an offer to repair. But there is no detail as too what this involves... Or where I can observe it myself. I'm hesitant to initiate a repair without knowing exactly what changes 360 intends.

I emailed Qihoo support and their response was to offer a Teamviewer troubleshooting action. I don't need that. I just want to know what has happened, or will happened.

Anyone familiar with this?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
  1. Can you post a screenshot of the Qihoo 360 Essentials scan results window?
  2. Is this being detected by the additional engines; Avira or Bitdefender?

Reactions: codswollip

codswollip

Level 23
Thread author
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
upload_2017-3-22_13-53-21.png

It says "System Repair Engine" in the info pop-up, so I imagine that is from Qihoo. I don't know what "homepage this refers to. My browsers (Chrome, IE, Pale Moon) show no unexpected homepage effect.

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It could mean about:blank used by browsers, have you changed any of the homepage settings for your browsers, or managed by any extensions?

No harm in applying the changes, because you can always change the homepage again. Or add to Ignore/Exclusions.

Reactions: codswollip

codswollip

Level 23
Thread author
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Here's the deal... I just want to see specifically what 360 wants to change.

Yea, I could whitelist (a.k.a "trust") this and then I'd lose whatever protection there is from a bona fide "about protocol hijack", or I could trust 360 not to make a unwanted change to my system as it "resolves" this item.

Neither of those alternatives appeals to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.