Advice Request about Tencent

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

mostafa96

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 2, 2015
hello guys

i was using avast for the last month and i didnt face any problem with it but i want to try tencent but i used it before if i entered folder which has malware in it it doesnt detect it until i make manual scan even if i tried to set the settings to maximum but this was along time ago

did they resolve that ?

also iam goimg to use afirewall next to it which one is better comdo firewall or private firewall ?
i want the firewall to be automated as possible ?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Yeah- Avast is superior in malware detection vs Tencent.

And about the firewall- PF is very good; but if you decide to use Comodo Firewall without any other of the protections that CF has you MUST place the firewall in Custom Mode. Safe Mode (default) presupposes that you have either the HIPS and/or Sandbox module active.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
hello guys

i was using avast for the last month and i didnt face any problem with it but i want to try tencent but i used it before if i entered folder which has malware in it it doesnt detect it until i make manual scan even if i tried to set the settings to maximum but this was along time ago

did they resolve that ?

also iam goimg to use afirewall next to it which one is better comdo firewall or private firewall ?
i want the firewall to be automated as possible ?
https://malwaretips.com/threads/tencent-pc-manager-global-report-april-2018.83005/

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018

Tencent might have better detection for chinese malware since that's where it's being developed and most widely used.
Those results are based on malware that are less than 12 hours old, and possibly originated outside of Asia, so @Hanmin147's post could be accurate for why the results are so poor.

With that said, I agree with the others in this thread in saying that Avast and Comodo are both superior to Tencent. If you're keen on trying Tencent, there is no problem with that, but statistically it is a flawed product.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
More to come by July, I gonna retest it.
Unfortunately, Tencent seems to have dropped the TAV version (Tencent engines only), which did much better when i tested it a few times in June (IMHO, judging on the number of BB alerts).
I have to admit there’s currently no table (because of the limited number of tests), I’m on vacation till Wednesday evening so I cannot do this yet. I’m on mobile only.

But here are the threads:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/mixed-threats-15-08-06-2018.84193/post-741147
https://malwaretips.com/threads/6-06-2018-17.84135/post-740718
https://malwaretips.com/threads/4-06-2018-18.84062/post-740282

Protection wise, I agree with @cruelsister, Avast! Free will beat TCPM (Global) hands down.
Cannot tell on the Chinese one, I cannot read / speak the language unfortunately.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
More to come by July, I gonna retest it.
Unfortunately, Tencent seems to have dropped the TAV version (Tencent engines only), which did much better when i tested it a few times in June (IMHO, judging on the number of BB alerts).
I have to admit there’s currently no table (because of the limited number of tests), I’m on vacation till Wednesday evening so I cannot do this yet. I’m on mobile only.

But here are the threads:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/mixed-threats-15-08-06-2018.84193/post-741147
https://malwaretips.com/threads/6-06-2018-17.84135/post-740718
https://malwaretips.com/threads/4-06-2018-18.84062/post-740282

Protection wise, I agree with @cruelsister, Avast! Free will beat TCPM (Global) hands down.
Cannot tell on the Chinese one, I cannot read / speak the language unfortunately.
Thanks to you and all the testers from MalwareTips. Everyone can choose a protection they like, and see the results from your work. Sorry about my bad english

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thanks to you and all the testers from MalwareTips. Everyone can choose a protection they like, and see the results from your work. Sorry about my bad english
Agree, it’s mainly a matter of preference.
Au contraire to AV Test / AVC, I have yet to see an AV doing fine against 0-days, let alone Kaspersky, Avast!, maybe Trend Micro. Oh, and Comodo of course, because of the great Sandbox.

Norton did fail a lot even it has good signatures and SONAR.

Give it some hours, and the worse ones will catch up (like the ones using BD engines, in best case with hourly updates).

Glad you like the tests :)
Don’t worry about your English, you were perfectly understood!
Have a great day!

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Agree, it’s mainly a matter of preference.
Au contraire to AV Test / AVC, I have yet to see an AV doing fine against 0-days, let alone Kaspersky, Avast!, maybe Trend Micro. Oh, and Comodo of course, because of the great Sandbox.

Norton did fail a lot even it has good signatures and SONAR.

Give it some hours, and the worse ones will catch up (like the ones using BD engines, in best case with hourly updates).

Glad you like the tests :)
Don’t worry about your English, you were perfectly understood!
Have a great day!
Thanks my friend. I use near two weeks after many time the other (chinese crap ) 360 Total Security and realy i love it. My pc work like turbo. For extra protection i use brain firewall and i am perfect

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thanks my friend. I use near two weeks after many time the other (chinese crap ) 360 Total Security and realy i love it. My pc work like turbo. For extra protection i use brain firewall and i am perfect
Yes, TC is really lightweight and not bloated with useless features you can replace with other, maybe more useful tuneup tools (for free).
It’s AV only, seldom these days.

I use Sphinx Software Win10 Firewall Control, the free one is good enough, though Windows Processes are whitelisted and cannot be altered (only in the paid version(s)).
Mind that when you come across fileless malware, hijacking and calling out via windows processes. Many vendors are weak against those.

However, every other process will give you an outbound alert by the Firewall tool (it does use the built in Windows one).
If you ignore the message, it will block, you can edit later.
Very useful!

And some Anti-Ransom (like AppCheck, free is good enough) will improve protection.
+an on-demand 2nd opinion Scanner, like NPE or ZAM portable, both free.

You might be good to go with that combo, you might replace Tencent is needed, as this combo should work fine with other free products, too.

360 TS:
It had a great past, but the current version is not much better against 0days than Tencent IMO, and it’s bloated with useless stuff, the firewall module contained in the Premium version currently isn’t more than a gimmick (a joke protection wise) though 360 HIPS will cover some exotic malware actions TC will surely not (like wiper malwares).
360 TS report for June coming soon.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Yes, TC is really lightweight and not bloated with useless features you can replace with other, maybe more useful tuneup tools (for free).
It’s AV only, seldom these days.

I use Sphinx Software Win10 Firewall Control, the free one is good enough, though Windows Processes are whitelisted and cannot be altered (only in the paid version(s)).
Mind that when you come across fileless malware, hijacking and calling out via windows processes. Many vendors are weak against those.

However, every other process will give you an outbound alert by the Firewall tool (it does use the built in Windows one).
If you ignore the message, it will block, you can edit later.
Very useful!

And some Anti-Ransom (like AppCheck, free is good enough) will improve protection.
+an on-demand 2nd opinion Scanner, like NPE or ZAM portable, both free.

You might be good to go with that combo, you might replace Tencent is needed, as this combo should work fine with other free products, too.

360 TS:
It had a great past, but the current version is not much better against 0days than Tencent IMO, and it’s bloated with useless stuff, the firewall module contained in the Premium version currently isn’t more than a gimmick (a joke protection wise) though 360 HIPS will cover some exotic malware actions TC will surely not (like wiper malwares).
360 TS report for June coming soon.
The realy is i use with 360 ts first brain. Woodooshield, not every time only if i play unsafe. 2nd opinion Scanner NPE. ZAM portable, malwarebytes free. With opera browser because is nice but not safe like chrome , use ublockorigin, and avira browser safety( for me is the best only little bit heavy) and with chrome ublock and WDBP. The last time i was infected is before 12 or 15 years back . Thanks for your tips

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
The realy is i use with 360 ts first brain. Woodooshield, not every time only if i play unsafe. 2nd opinion Scanner NPE. ZAM portable, malwarebytes free. With opera browser because is nice but not safe like chrome , use ublockorigin, and avira browser safety( for me is the best only little bit heavy) and with chrome ublock and WDBP. The last time i was infected is before 12 or 15 years back . Thanks for your tips
Sounds solid!
Especially the setup seems to have served you well!

Avira AV might be crappy (both in terms of GUI and maybe also protection, never tried it), but their free Browser ext. is the first thing I add to Cent Browser once installed (next to AdGuard ext.).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.