Solved Accidentally dropped my laptop, should I worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I have accidentally pulled the AC Adapter wire of my laptop quickly, It have fell to the ground. The AC adapter was still connected to the laptop, and its indicator was on, but I decided to remove it until I am sure there will be no worry to turn it on. I tried to keep it near my ears and flip it to hear any sound of something moving but I didn't hear any. I found that the Cover where the RAM slots are located was partially removed, so I decided to remove it and see what's there. Everything was normal, so I have put it back.

Is there is anything I should worry about?

D

Deleted member 178

Only time will tell you, just use it normally. Check the DVD/CD drive, it is generally one of the most sensible component.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If there's a health hazard I would get it repaired, exposed electrical cables aren't safe. If that's what you're saying. :huh:

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It all depends on what kind of surface it fell on and how far from that surface. Most laptops are designed to withstand basics falls since people do drop them or they accidentally fall off desks, counter tops, etc.

If it fall from a distance of the basic hight of a desk and hit a soft surface like carpet then it should be alright. If it fell from a higher distance and it hit a harder surface like bare floor, then you could potentially have future problems. Dropping a laptop on cement is always bad.

Only time will tell.:D

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
It is now working normally, as Umbra asked, DVD/CD drive is still working. It fell on a bare floor from a height of 70cm. I was sleeping when I pulled the wire. :D Because of that I don't know how it fell, but after the fall it was the way like how you put it on the desk, but the lid was partially closed and some scratches were on it. The sound of the fall made all the house wake up, at almost 3AM. :D

It was not going to fall if there was no laptop cooler. :(

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You could unplug the laptop at night, or tuck away the wires so there are no future incident like this.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
You could unplug the laptop at night, or tuck away the wires so there are no future incident like this.

In fact he is a sleepwalker, he played at Counter-strike, lost the match, then in anger throw his laptop on the floor :p

Upvote 0

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
As soon as you begin hearing excessive noise coming from your laptop's cooling fan, you should.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A matter of depends on how impact would it be, basically crucial thing may damage could be the HDD cause if it fails then no chance to work for it.

Also if the incident fall on a shorter feet distance then chances no interruption on the operation.

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Earth said:

The problem is that my room is so compact, the desk is only 15 cm away from my bed. I tried moving it away so it becomes a bit far, but I don't like that because it is now very near to the wall. I always accidentally scratch my watch when near to a wall. :D

Summary: I am very careless. :D

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I have noticed few days ago that one of the edges of the screen lid of the laptop are damaged. Here are pictures showing you the damaged and the edge that has no damages:

Damaged:
JUnoh.jpg

Not Damaged:
r8MUa.jpg

How will you expect this to damage the laptop?
Offtopic:
I have accidentally dropped my tablet (slipped from my hand while walking), which has no case with its face down on a bare floor. There were no cracks and the tablet functions properly. Any worries?

WALT: Most careless human ever known to man. :D :p

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
pcjunklist said:
you should definitely bubble wrap your room

I second that. :lol:

The only device I sometimes drop is my phone, everything else I'm very careful with.

Remember the days of the old Nokia phones, where if you dropped it, it would make a crater landmark.

Upvote 0

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
Knocked my laptop off a makeshift wobbly table in my room this morning, from about waist height, hit the floor like a sack of pap, powered it on, and after a scary multi-coloured screen for 1 second it was fine

Must have just had concussion :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.