Ad blockers get ad-group exec's blood boiling (Q&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
The Interactive Advertising Bureau doesn't like how tens of millions of people use ad-blocking software. IAB's general counsel has a counterattack: block the blockers

Mike Zaneis says he's generally a relaxed guy.
But when the subject of online ad-blocking technology comes up, calmness vanishes from the voice of the Interactive Advertising Bureau's general counsel and executive vice president for public policy.
"Ad blocking to me is so fundamentally wrong, it just boils my blood," he seethed in an interview, predicting a coming showdown in which publishers start blocking people who block ads.
Of course, plenty of consumers loathe online advertising, which can inflict flashing gaudiness and subject people to behavioral targeting. That's why Adblock Plus, AdBlock, and other browser add-ons exist to strip ads off Web pages and, increasingly, mobile apps. It's also why Adblock Plus' acceptable ads manifesto is getting attention. Adblock Plus developer Eyeo encourages a relatively unobtrusive style of ads that it doesn't block

More

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
LOL
Sure they were mad since many people now using Ad-Block :D
In the other way, I felt guilty, since many good site/blog using ads for their income, using ad-block = doesn't support them :(
However, many ads out there contain malwares :mad:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Ads keep websites free and is important but over the years ads have got too aggressive to the point that an user don't even know where to click because of many deceptive ads on a website especially on download sites where is says "Download" in flashy bold print and the default download is riddle on the page in some print hidden from normal view. So some users get confused and end downloading and installing PUP's and malware.

If advertisers would clean up their habits and only offer ads for products and services that are respectful then I wouldn't mind seeing some ads every once in awhile as long as they don't consume the website. There are some good products and services that do benefit from ads but most of the ads you see today are for malware infected products, scams, PUP's, junkware and other things that most users would not want. Sometimes I will disable my adblocker just to see what the ads have to offer and I never see anything that would be called a respectful product or service advertised. Most ads will turn red in WOT if you click them.

Thanks. :D

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
You are right, I also don't mind seeing ads as long it doesn't contains any malwares/PUP/etc. It's a shame, I agree they need to change their habbit, if not I believe all internet users in the world would blocking their ads. By the way, I don't know about "most ads will turn red in WOT" thanks for the information :).

D

Deleted member 178

Oh look.... someone is mad because they ain't making money. :oops::eek::rolleyes:

lol so true ^^

2 type of ads encounter i witness:

1- i open a webpage, then a rain of ads pop-ups flow through my browsers and punch me in the face, i have to close 5+ tabs/windows to start read the page and if i block them i can't even read the page; in that case adblockers win my eternal gratitude.

2- i open the webpage, the ads are blend seamlessly into it , i start reading ; in that case i can "live" with the ads.

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
The funny thing is, it looks like the guy didn't even think about advertisers being wrong. No, adblockers and people who hate obstructive ads are the devils!

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Actually Ad-Blocking is kinda bad, now hear me out before you eat me alive over this.
The general Ad-Block does block suspected ads, without knowing if this is a real ad or not.
Generally services like google and youtube are ad supported and thus free.
By blocking certain ads the user itself is in violation of many online free service EULA's as most of them state ones you enter a webpage you will have to accept ads. But this is internet law and does not really carry a payload as generally every user is misusing EULA's.
Now the intrusive ad campaign done by relative worthless companies, and they represend a small portion of the advertisement industry.
Most of the bigger and better ad companies they display good ads which do not mess up your browser and they are getting blocked which causes them to lose serious money and in some cases it forces them to use ad techniques that are mostly used by spam ad companies.
And its exactly these ad companies you want to block. So one could say that a ad blocker blocks the good ones and lacks the power to stop fake ones.
Most people say that their ad blocker does do a good job as it SEEM to block alot, however if you look which ads are being blocked then you see that a ad-blocker is useless as they really block most good ones and cannot do ##### to stop bad ones.
So imo its bad to have a ad blocker as the annoying ads evade it anyway and still pop up.
That said the Ad Block industry needs to talk to the "major" ad companies and streamline which ads being shown and which ads being blocked by matching techniques and knowledge, this way the industry can develop credible ways of displaying "good" and "usefull" ads while leaving the bad bulk/spam ad companies behind.
And this in essence will cause a BIG decline in the numbers of ads we are being shown everytime we visit webpage X.
Also individual browser settings and your internet security solution does generally have a much better ad blocker on it then thirt party addons who generally collect more info from your browser habits then most online ads could.
So again everything comes with a price and everything specially regarding ads is not as clear as the topic above states.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Actually Ad-Blocking is kinda bad, now hear me out before you eat me alive over this.
The general Ad-Block does block suspected ads, without knowing if this is a real ad or not.
By blocking certain ads the user itself is in violation of many online free service EULA's as most of them state ones you enter a webpage you will have to accept ads. But this is internet law and does not really carry a payload as generally every user is misusing EULA's.
Now the intrusive ad campaign done by relative worthless companies, and they represend a small portion of the advertisement industry.
Most of the bigger and better ad companies they display good ads which do not mess up your browser and they are getting blocked which causes them to lose serious money and in some cases it forces them to use ad techniques that are mostly used by spam ad companies.
And its exactly these ad companies you want to block. So one could say that a ad blocker blocks the good ones and lacks the power to stop fake ones.
Most people say that their ad blocker does do a good job as it SEEM to block alot, however if you look which ads are being blocked then you see that a ad-blocker is useless as they really block most good ones and cannot do ##### to stop bad ones.
So imo its bad to have a ad blocker as the annoying ads evade it anyway and still pop up.
That said the Ad Block industry needs to talk to the "major" ad companies and streamline which ads being shown and which ads being blocked by matching techniques and knowledge, this way the industry can develop credible ways of displaying "good" and "usefull" ads while leaving the bad bulk/spam ad companies behind.
And this in essence will cause a BIG decline in the numbers of ads we are being shown everytime we visit webpage X.
Also individual browser settings and your internet security solution does generally have a much better ad blocker on it then thirt party addons who generally collect more info from your browser habits then most online ads could.
So again everything comes with a price and everything specially regarding ads is not as clear as the topic above states.
You make some good points!
I personally use an "adblocker" for added security, but more importantly, for a faster "page load" response time!
Thanks!:)

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014

Welcome back Nico, nice to see you around :) I agree with your post above, I too sometime felt guilty when blocking good ads, however it's really hard to compare which one is good or bad :(
As for me, when I saw a website/blog with good quality content, good ads, usually I use filter feature to whitelist it. And about bad ads, yes it's also true, sometime ad block doesn't block the bad ads properly. I don't mind seeing ads as long it's doesn't contains any crapware, or fill my screen like Umbra said :D, it's really annoying when that happened :(:mad:

Now if only advertisers want to change their habits, there is no need to use ad block at all :)

Reactions: Venustus

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Welcome back Nico, nice to see you around :) I agree with your post above, I too sometime felt guilty when blocking good ads, however it's really hard to compare which one is good or bad :(
As for me, when I saw a website/blog with good quality content, good ads, usually I use filter feature to whitelist it. And about bad ads, yes it's also true, sometime ad block doesn't block the bad ads properly. I don't mind seeing ads as long it's doesn't contains any crapware, or fill my screen like Umbra said :D, it's really annoying when that happened :(:mad:

Now if only advertisers want to change their habits, there is no need to use ad block at all :)

Well i am not back yet, i was just online and did see the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.